CSI: Across the Pond

Chapter 2

The two investigators stepped off the plane eagerly, inhaling the fresh, cool air. It was a welcome relief from the plane’s stale oxygen. Frank stretched and laced his fingers behind his head as they walked up the ramp and into the terminal, feeling the lack of sound sleep catch up to them. That was one thing they always hated about international travel: no matter how much sleep they got, they were always exhausted by the time they got to their destination.

“I can’t believe it’s eight o’clock already. I feel like I just went to bed,” said Frank, hiding a yawn behind one hand.

“You can catch up on your sleep later. This is more important,” said Gerard, not even breaking stride so Frank could catch up. The A/V analyst shook his head and jogged forward a few steps, matching his friend’s brisk pace. They headed off to baggage claim and retrieved their luggage, hoping nothing in their field kits would be broken.

“Are you Lieutenant Way?” asked an accented voice behind them. Gerard turned around and looked at the person standing in front of him.

“Yes...How did you know-”

“I was told what to look for. You’re probably the only person in the country with hair that pale.” Frank started laughing.

“That must have been Mikey’s doing. Just trying to make our lives easier.” The man's face remained serious, and Frank stopped laughing instantly.

“My name is Matthew Bellamy, head investigator of the London Crime Laboratory. I understand you’re here on business?” Gerard’s mind had frozen when the man said his name. Matt. A completely different Matt, but the similarity was there. Frank decided to speak for his shocked friend.

“We should probably discuss that in a more discreet location. There’s a lot of people around here,” he said in a low voice, eyeing several of them warily. Gerard blinked a few times to clear his mind as the man spoke again.

“At any rate, I need the details. My lab will not be able to help you without knowing the full circumstances of the case.” The two investigators shared a quick glance. This guy was acting a lot more professional than them; well, more so than Frank, at least. What was he trying to prove?

“Follow me,” he said, leading them through the automatic doors and out to a waiting bus. Both Frank’s and Gerard’s mouths dropped to the ground.

“Wow,” said Gerard in shock. Frank just nodded in agreement.

“I expected there to be more of you. I hardly find it suitable that only two people handle the crime lab for an entire city,” the man said suspiciously as he helped them carry their bags into the bus.

“There’s five of us, actually. I myself am the senior investigator, Frank here is our A/V analyst, Bob is our blood spatter analyst, my brother Mikey is our DNA/Trace analyst, and Ray is the coroner. We’re a very strong team,” said Gerard, trying his hardest not to sound defensive. He knew he would have to try and work with this guy, no matter how different they were.

“That still seems insufficient. Our city’s lab has at least five investigators per division, and that’s only for the smallest ones,” he said smugly. Frank’s face began to darken.

“Frank, be nice,” Gerard said through his teeth. His partner took a few deep breaths before speaking, and he suddenly thought of something much better to say.

“Let me ask you this, then: Do you know the names of everyone in your lab?” Frank asked with one eyebrow raised. The man ignored the question at first and told the driver to return to the lab.

“That is unimportant. Our lab focuses on getting the job done and doing it thoroughly.” Gerard had to stop Frank from doing something that would get them banned from the country. He pulled his friend aside.

“Look, I don’t exactly like him either, but we don’t have a choice,” he said through gritted teeth, trying hard to keep his voice low. “Remember why we’re here, Frank: to solve this case and get that kid home to her parents. Not to pick fights with showoffs.” Frank nodded reluctantly. Sometimes he hated it when Gerard was right.