CSI: Across the Pond

Chapter 7

“Frank, let’s go already.” Gerard set both of their field kits down and unsuccessfully tried to pry Frank away from the object taking up half of the wall. Frank was practically conjoined to it.

“But Gerard,” he whined, dragging out the r’s in his friend’s name just to annoy him, “This is like the Rolls Royce of printers! It’s better than the ones our country’s mint uses!”

“I’m leaving in three seconds. One-” Frank took one step backwards. “Two-” He turned around. “Thr-” And ran, grabbing his field kit on the way out. Gerard picked up his own kit and ran after him with a laugh.

Matt was waiting downstairs with Dominic, checking his watch impatiently. Gerard and Frank arrived in the lobby with two whole minutes to spare, but he still glared at them. He motioned for them to follow him, and walked out to the bus.
-
“Are you going to tell us what this is about, Bellamy?” Frank asked, sounding annoyed. Matt sighed and rolled his eyes. He felt like he was talking to a little kid with these two.

“You hostage has, allegedly, been released-” he began.

“What?!” Gerard yelled in shock. Matt nodded calmly.

“No need to shout, Way. I received the message about three or four days ago, but I had a string of cases that have been unsolved for some time now and needed attention-” Frank held up a hand to stop him.

“I am only going to ask you this once,” he said slowly, meeting Matt’s eyes with a glare. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Gerard thought about telling Frank to calm down, but decided not to speak. His friend was definitely getting angrier by the second.

“We’ve been through this before. We did not, I repeat, did not come all the way across the ocean to do level one work. We’re not your flunkies. As far as I’m concerned, we’re part of the finest CSI team in the world, and we will not be demeaned like this. Let us do our jobs, Matt,” he spat angrily, “Or we’re gone. What’s more, we’ll solve this case without your help. We don’t need you and your expensive, prettied-up crime lab. We don’t need you, Matt. When you get that through your thick British skull, let us know.” Just then Frank realized he had stood up halfway through his speech, and sat down next to Gerard. He was breathing heavily.

“Interesting,” said Matt thoughtfully. Gerard noted the professional tone in his voice and inwardly groaned. Would he never learn? “Now let me say something to you. I expect my employees to be professional. That includes following the rules, knowing how to do your job correctly, and not mouthing off to your supervisor. I’m being quite gracious by allowing you two to use my crime lab and its facilities. Therefore I expect you both to follow protocol.”

Gerard had not spoken for some time. The only thing he paid attention to was the fact that Frank had not been joking. He absolutely had to stay. These two might kill each other if he didn’t.

Dominic was carefully studying the other investigators out of the corner of his eye. He could clearly see that Matt was upset, whether he chose to show it or not. Frank was about to explode in anger.

He was having a harder time figuring out what Gerard was thinking. From the first day he had seen the senior investigator, Dominic knew he was skilled at hiding his emotions. He admired Gerard for this; it was essential for this line of work, though few could master it. At the moment the other investigator seemed to be distracted by something. Something important.

They stepped off the bus in total silence. Frank made sure to exit first, leaving Gerard to carry both of their field kits. He didn’t mind, though; if it helped keep the peace, he was okay with it. Matt started to leave, but Dominic stopped him.

“Matt, don’t be too hard on them,” he said quietly.

“They need to learn respect for authority.”

“You’re not being fair.”

“Life’s not fair, Dom. They should learn that, too.” Matt left without another word. Dominic frowned. Why was he acting so cold toward them?
-
“Gerard, I’m not going to put up with this anymore.” Gerard sighed.

“Frank, we don’t have a choice. Whether or not you choose to admit it, we do need to use this crime lab,” he said in a low voice. “Field kits can only do so much.”

“We’re not his slaves, Gee! We don’t have to do every last thing he says!” Though it was cool and overcast out, Gerard put his sunglasses on. It was mainly to hide the forlorn look in his eyes.

“Unfortunately, Frank, I think we do.”