Could Life Be Any Better

How Her Life Changed

Athena hadn’t noticed but her parents and a few friends did, they noticed when she began to become tired all the time or very moody. One day during Spring Break week while she was hanging out with her friend Adelyn, she seemed off. Adelyn asked her what they should do or plan for the up and coming weekend, but Athena snapped at her. Athena:” Ugh, I don’t fucking know, why do you always have to ask me like I know, I don’t care what we do. I don’t care what the hell happens either.” Adelyn couldn’t believe what just came out of Athena’s mouth, not only had she swore but they’re not supposed to due to only being fifteen. Adelyn:” Um A, are you ok?” Athena:” Yes I’m just fine. I’d really wish for people to quit asking me if I’m ok or if I’m fine.” Adelyn:” Oh um ok, excuse me please.” She left the room in search of Athena’s parents. Mr. Thorne:” Adelyn, you look as if something’s troubling you. What’s wrong my dear?” Adelyn:” Well ah, have you both noticed a chance with Athena?” Mrs. Thorne:” Oh dear, have you noticed that too?” Adelyn nodded, she went on to say what had just happened and a few other occasions before that she never mentioned until now. Mrs. Thorne:” Thank you Adelyn honey, don’t worry we’re going to take care of it.”
The following day her parents informed her that she had a doctor’s appointment. When they all arrived her parents told the doctor about her being very mood, snapping at people, feeling tired. Mrs. Thorne:” She’s been losing a considerable amount of weight, she drinks a lot of water which is why she has to relieve herself often. She’s never done that before or even acted this way before, ever.” Doctor Bynes:” Let me run a few tests, but first…do you know if diabetes runs in your family at all?” Mr. Thorne:” My great grandmother and mother had it.” Doctor Bynes just nodded informing them that the symptoms they’ve just described are that of diabetes and that he’ll put a rush on her blood work once a nurse takes it. Not long later he came back in, Doctor Bynes:” Hmm yep just as I thought, Athena has type 1 diabetes. Now she’ll be fine as long as she eats healthy, learns how to monitor her blood sugar levels and count carbohydrates. I’d like for her to stay overnight however, so we can get her sugar levels back to normal. Her nurse will personally show her how to do all that and ask whatever questions Athena might have.” Her parents agreed, they turned to her to let her know that they’ll be back in the morning to check on her but she simply rolled her eyes in response. Her nurse showed her everything she needed to, answered the few questions Athena had and Athena showed her in return that she knew or understood what she has to do. Athena:” Now since I have to take insulin, what’s this I hear about a pump of some kind?” Nurse Patterson:” Oh the OmiPod insulin pump. Is that something you or your parents might be interested in?” She nodded, so Nurse Patterson kindly printed out some printouts on the pump for her and her parents to read. Athena had already made up her mind, she wanted it and hoped her parents would be in favor of it as well.
The following morning when her parents came to check on her she smiled to greet them. Mrs. Thorne:” Ah, seems like someone’s in better spirits today. How’re you doing my baby girl?” Athena informed them that she felt fine, her father had noticed the printout on the pump and began reading them. While he was doing that her mom brought her notebook/diary which Athena took from her mom and grabbed a pen. Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes today ~ April 17th 2006. I’m not going to let it control me, I will control and manage it! She got her things together to get ready to go home (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=79836992) but before she left her father informed the nurse that he wanted the pump for her. Athena secretly smiled inside, she got what she wanted. They gave her a few needles and some insulin to cover until the pump was delivered. When they got home her friends were already there waiting for her, she gave them all a hug apologizing for how she has acted lately. Alistair:” So, what’s wrong?” Athena:” They found out that I have type 1 diabetes. It’s totally manageable, they showed me how to take care of it like how to check my blood sugar and give myself insulin, until I get the pump that is. They also showed me how to correctly count carbohydrates too.” They all sat around talking, listening to music when Adelyn called Athena’s name. Athena:” What’s up?” Adelyn:” Have you heard this new boy band called the Jonas Brothers?” Athena shook her head no looking at her friend curiously, Adelyn smirked but began playing some of their music. Athena was already semi hooked at them at that moment, telling herself she’s going to buy their CDS when they’re out.