Dangerous Game

Now We Stare Eye To Eye

I sat on the couch, staring at the blank sheet music on the table. The news quietly reverberating from the TV set. I jumped at the knock at the door. Normally Josh would get it just in case it was a reporter, a salesman, or someone else who might recognize or hurt me. I rose and made my way slowly to the snow white door, hoping that the person would give up and leave. I looked through the peep eye, my hand a few inches away from the bat, ready to grab it in case of emergency. I opened the door a crack – just enough for my face to show. I jumped back as the man pushed his way through the door.

“I knew it was you,” He said joyfully pulling me into a hug. Man had he gotten strong since we were younger. I hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday. Or was it since that egg yesterday…?

“Gee – you finally realized? It’s only been a few years.” I replied, trying to get out of his grip.

He pulled away to look down at me, “Are you kidding me, it’s been over ten years!”

“And what made you recognize me now,” I asked, putting my hands up to hide the markings on my face if they were to show through the heavy makeup, “When we’re both twenty-four too.”

He shrugged, taking a hand off of me and ran it through his hair. “Guess I’ve been missing you or something.”

“What’s your name again?” I joked, turning to lock the door again.

“Even I remember that your name’s Dahlia,” He said with his jaw unhinged.

“With how often you’re on the news. How can I not know Nick Jonas,” I said, biting my lower lip.

“How old’s your baby brother now?” He asked, taking a seat on the black vintage bench we had bought off of craigslist, “Sixteen?”

“He’s nineteen,” I corrected, motioning to the picture of the two of us on my graduation day – 2010. I heard the click of the lock and immediately stiffened. Once the tall figure started to enter the threshold, I let out a breath. It was just Josh.

“Why are you here?” Josh yelled, dropping his backpack and picking up the baseball bat.

“Josh,” I said sternly, “He’s an old friend. You were too young to remember him probably.”

“Wait – the guy at the concert last night is a friend?” Josh asked dumbfounded.

“We went to school together up until they moved to - Jersey?” I questioned, making sure I had my facts straight. He nodded, “You were only seven when they moved.”

“I’m not that much younger than you,” Josh pouted, laying the baseball bat back against the wall. He took a moment to look me up and down, “And you need a steak.”

“Speaking of steaks,” Nick piped in, rising to his feet, “We wanted to invite you both over to Kevin’s new place for dinner.”

I started to protest when Josh slapped his hand over my mouth, “Of course we’ll be there. Is it that new red house down on Stonecroft?”

“How’d you know,” Nick asked quizzically.

“It’s the only new, expensive looking place anywhere in Dallas.” Josh said plainly.

“See you there at 6,” Nick waved with a smile as Josh opened the door and closed it behind him.

“You’re eating at least half your steak.”

[Tempo]

I swallowed hard as we pulled up to the freshly built red walled, brown roofed mansion. We were buzzed into the gated property and started to work our way up the long inclining driveway. I must’ve looked like a deer in headlights since Josh told me to ‘chillax’. I took a slow, deep, breath before I stepped out of the car so Josh could lock it. I slowly followed after him up the stout stair case to the large white door. I fiddled with the hem of my deep red shirt – crumpling and flattening – over my pitch black skinny jeans. “Is my makeup OK?”

“It’s just right,” Josh replied – ringing the doorbell. Instantly Kevin opened the door and brought the two of us into a big bear hug. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you two.”

“Nice to see you again,” I squeaked out, patting his arm lightly.

He pulled away, stepping back and opening the door even wider, “Come on in and make yourself at home.” I followed Josh inside and after Kevin. The foyer was far past extravagant. The walls were a pristine white with a form or royal crown molding. A spiral staircase stood to the left of the hallway, a large portrait of Elvis stood at the start of the stairs. We continued down the matching hall full of platinum and gold records, awards, and artwork which emptied into a grandiose silver and black kitchen with black marble countertops. Joe practically rushed past Kevin and Josh to give me the tightest hug of the day.

“I’m so glad to see you again,” Joe cooed, picking me up off of my feet and waddling to the kitchen island. “You weight the same as you did back then!”

“Not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult,” I said meekly – puffing my right cheek out slightly.

“Put her down before you break her,” Nick interjected, allowing Joe to set me down on the island.

“Hi, I’m Dani,” The brunette who stood in front of the oven said, moving to shake both my hand and my brothers, “How do you two like your steak?”

“I’m Josh and I like it Rare, but Dahlia likes it well-done.” Josh said quickly, shaking her hand.

“Why don’t you all go on the balcony and catch up,” Dani suggested, washing her hands. Nick moved in front of me to help me down. I thanked him as we moved across the hardwood to the large open sliding door.

“You guys have sure been successful,” I piped in, joining the boys on the black leather couches. Joe and Kevin were sitting on the far couch, in front of the grill. Nick and I sat on the couch which over looked downtown Dallas while Josh got the last couch opposite the two older boys.

“What about you two?” Kevin asked, “You wanted to be a Mechanic then, right?”

“My sister wanted to be a mechanic? She doesn’t even have her license,” Josh said in shock.

“That plan didn’t work out,” Joe said through his laughter.

“Josh actually just got his GED,” I said, deflecting the attention from myself.

“You didn’t finish high school on time,” Kevin asked.

Josh shook his head, “There was a family tragedy back when I was sixteen, so I decided to drop out and work. That’s one of the reasons why we live together – our parents died in a car crash caused by a drunk driver.”

“I’m so sorry for your loss,” The three said in unison.

“I’m actually studying for the SAT’s to get into Med school,” Josh said, trying to end on high note.

“What about yourself Dahlia?” Joe questioned.

“Well I’m actually trying to get my hands into the music business. Not as an artist per se. But writing the music, editing it all together, and filming the music videos,” I explained. The brothers looked intrigued, but weren’t saying anything. “But I’m not even close to starting that plan.”

“You’re kidding,” Joe said airily, “We should have found you sooner! We could have helped you with that.” And then maybe someone else would be butchered like what he did to me. No! I could never wish that on someone else. Especially someone I had never met.

“Yeah – you should come work on our album with us,” Kevin suggested, almost flying off of the couch in excitement.

“No,” I disagreed, “I’m not even up to that caliber.”

“Nonsense,” Nick interjected, “A fresh ear is exactly what we need. And no one could be better than you.”

“Steak,” Dani smiled, entering the deck with gorgeous white plates pilled full of food. She placed them down in front of the boys, handed Josh his steak since he was the only one who liked it rare. “Dahlia – would you care to join me in the kitchen?”

“Of course,” I replied with a smile, rising from the couch.

“You’re that girl who survived, aren’t you,” She asked, putting my raw steak on the cutting board. I froze up, “I knew you looked familiar. Now how much steak do you want? I wasn’t sure so I thought I’d ask.” Extending the knife over the slab of meat, and slowly began to increase in size.

“How did you figure it out?” I asked in horror, “Oh – there. Wait, a bit smaller. Perfect.”

“When Kevin’s on the road, or in business meetings, and anything else that I can’t really be a part of, I surf the internet. Or watch the news. But – how are you feeling? I noticed you looked a lot thinner than you are before pictures they showed in the news.” Dani placed the two halves in the pan and they began to sizzle.

“Josh has been trying to get me to eat more. I’ve been forgetting to make food lately, or I’m just not hungry.” I admitted. “I did lose quite a bit of weight in the hospital.”

“Do you mind if I ask if you have any scars from the ordeal? I mean - your skin looks so perfect, and from what the news says that he does… You just look so beautiful. Like you weren’t even touched,” She inquired, flipping over the steaks.

“It’s called Derma blend. It covers tattoos, scars – it’s basically just an extreme cover up.” I explained as she removed the steaks from the pan and put them on two separate plates. “Please don’t tell the boys. I’m trying-“

“Don’t worry about it,” Dani interrupted, handing me the ladle for the mashed potatoes. I spooned
a little onto my plate. I handed it back to Dani and put some salad on my plate. “When you want to tell them, you can tell them.”

“Thanks,” I smiled meekly.