Status: Active

Downfall

Chapter 2- How did I get so lucky

Ryan turned around in his bed, and ended up falling out of it, his blankets twisted around him in a tight ball. Still in a daze, he went to put his head back on the pillow and was met with the hardwood floor. "Fuck!" He screamed, thrashing and in the process untangling himself from the heap of blankets. He held his head and curled into a ball, he knew he was acting like a total wuss- but he was rudely awakened and he did not take well to that. Sleep to him was sacred.

He suddenly felt a warm wet tongue slide across his hand, "That is no way to greet someone in the morning, George." He scolded the dog that had appeared from seemingly no where. George had been his companion for the last ten years, getting him as a birthday gift from his mom.

He laid on the floor, letting the dog assault him even more with his tongue- until he couldn't take having his face be wet. "I know you love me, but jeezus- lay off!" He did a high pitch voice for "jeezus." And pushed George off of him. He then slowly picked himself up, and cracked his back in the process.

Wanting to take a shower, but knowing he had to at least look at his phone for any voicemails left to him- went begrudgingly to his living room to check his home phone. Unfortunately, the light was flashing rapidly. Reluctantly, he pushed the button and awaited the message.

"Gosling, where the fuck are you? I expect you here at 8 am sharp, and do I see you? No. You better get your ass down here soon." His bosses voice rang out of the tiny machine, and it wasn't happy either.

Ryan sighed, he was going to have to call him- he didn't bother listening to the other messages, he knew it was his boss periodically yelling at him for his lack of being there. He picked the phone up, and dialed the number for the bosses office.

"Who's this?" He demanded, and Ryan thanked god for one tiny moment that the building failed to update their phone services and get caller i.d.

"Its me, Ryan- sir." He hesitantly spoke.

"Gosling? Why the fuck aren't you here?" He yelled into the phone making Ryan flinch and involuntarily move his ear from the ear piece.

"I was going to tell you, sir that I was going to work from home today- but you already had left before I could."

There was a muffled noise, and then a pause, "Who told you- you could work from home?"

Ryan knew he would of been better off if he didn't bother calling his boss, he could have come up with an elaborate lie the next day when he showed up for work. "I thought I could sir."

"You know I don't accept work from home days, get your ass down here before I terminate your job." Then he hung up, leaving Ryan wishing he never had taken the job in the first place.

He slammed the phone down, and rushed into his room- it was too late for a shower and so he sprayed deodorant all over himself and got dressed for the day.

"Alright, George- you're now in charge of the house, kill if you have to, just make sure to clean it up afterwards." He knew it was weird to have full conversations with his dog, but George seemed to enjoy it, and that's all that mattered to him. He patted the dog on the head and headed for the bus station outside.

Ryan stopped off at Starbucks before heading into work, and much to his surprise, he spotted Michelle when he entered the cafe. He quickly ordered his latte, and made his way towards her. "Hey, gorgeous." He said while sliding into the chair across from her.

Michelle looked up from her papers, and smiled when she recognized him. "Hey, handsome."

He chuckled, "How are you?"

"I'm really good, and you?"

He shrugged, "I could be better."

She turned her head in a cute and inquisitive way, "Why's that?"

"I planned on working from home today, and my boss called me up and said that I needed to come down." He sighed, twisting his finger across the rim of the cup.

"I'm sorry, who do you work for?" She must have read his face wrong because she was suddenly apologizing about being too nosy.

"There's no need to be sorry, Michelle.. Really. I work for a publishing company as an editor."

"Are you a writer on the side? Any books out?"

Ryan shook his head, "I am, but I never thought to get my work published, I always kept it to myself."

"Now you have me wanting to read your work."

"Its not that good, really." He looked down at his watch, and saw that he was even more late to work than he was previously. "Do you have a cellphone?" He asked.

Michelle raised her eyebrow, "Doesn't everyone?" She gave him a look as to say, I'm kidding! And handed him her blackberry.

Ryan clicked on her contacts, and programmed his number into the phone. "Call me or text me anytime." He said, and handed it back to her.

She smiled, and entered her own number when he handed his own phone to her. "I hope this means I get to see your writing?"

He returned the smile, "If you want." He would have liked to have stayed with Michelle, but his boss was waiting for him and so he said his goodbyes, and left the Starbucks.

Ryan didn't even have the chance to sit down at his desk when his boss came into his office, a stern look on his face. "Sir, I apologize for showing up late- it won't happen again." He said, quickly- eyes adverted.

"How do I know that, Gosling?"

His eyes shot back up to his face, trying to read his face- but failing. "Sir." Was all he could manage to say.

"Look, Gosling. I'm not going to lie and say that you're not talented, because you are. You have this way of picking out certain words and making it seem right, you're needed in this industry. Thing is though, you're not needed here. I am sure, I could find someone with the same assets as you, and not have my business fail. What I can't have is someone who doesn't take their job seriously."

Ryan bit his lip, he needed this job. He wasn't about to go crawling back to his mother. "I do take my job seriously, sir. I made a mistake, but I can learn from it."

The Boss looked at him and sighed, "Don't let this happen again. Or else I will really fire your ass, and believe me when I say it, I will have no remorse in doing it." Then he turned his massive frame around and left his office.

He collapsed on the chair once he left, and dragged his hand across his face. "Motherfucker." He mumbled out, if he didn't value his life, he would have said that to his face.

He was in six hours when his phone buzzed, he looked up from the textbook manuscript and picked it up. The screen flashed the name: Michelle. He smiled, and eagerly unlocked his phone.

'Hey, Ryan. I was wondering if you wanted to meet up for lunch?' The text read.

'I'd love to, where do you want to go?'

'How about we meet at the park, and we'll decide then?'

'Perfect, I'll be out soon."

Ryan turned off his phone, and focused on the material in front of him until the clock hit two a clock- his usual lunch break. Since he wasn't on his bosses favorite side, he thought to go tell him that he was heading out for a while.

Fortunately it worked out, and he was on his way to the park. He went to sit down at his usual spot, and pulled out his pack of cigarettes. Putting one in his mouth, he let his gaze fall at the passing people.

He was so intent on people watching that he didn't notice Michelle had arrived until she cleared her throat. He slowly raised his eyes until they met Michelle's, "Oh, Hey." He said, breathlessly.

"Hey, decided on a place yet?" She went to sit down beside him.

Ryan flicked the last embers from the cigarette, and threw it on the ground- stamping it with his foot. "I know a good pizza place, its a couple of blocks down from here."

"Mhmh, you read my mind!" She groaned.

He chuckled, and shook his head. "I'm that good." He smirked as he lifted himself up from the bench.

"I wouldn't go that far." She gave him a knowing look, and followed him in getting off the bench.

Ryan pouted, "That hurt right here." He pounded his chest with his fist.

Michelle snorted, "I'm sure, c'mon lets go- I'm hungry!"

They both arrived at the pizzeria in under ten minutes, and had picked a seat outside as it was a beautiful day for spring.

He skimmed the menu, "Do you want to split something? The portions are huge."

She nodded, "The Marquita pizza looks good."

"That happens to be my favorite, good choice." Somehow he knew he was going to fall in love with her.

Ryan ordered their pizza and their drinks, he lent back in his seat after he finished talking and focused his eyes on Michelle. She was especially beautiful today.

"So tell me about yourself." He said.

Michelle did that turn of the head that made his heart clench, "What do you want to know?"

He shrugged, "Anything."

"Well, I just moved here from Georgia to go to school."

"What are you going to school for?"

"Nursing."

Ryan looked at her in a quizzical sort of way, "I thought you were already a nurse?"

She blushed, hanging her head to look at the table in front of her. "No, I just practice there- its part of my course."

"That's great, it must be exciting, becoming a nurse." He was being genuine, of all the women that he met, she was the first that was going to school for something important- to save lives. Rachel herself went to school to become an actress, interesting enough, but not awe inspiring.

"Its been my dream to go to school for nursing, and even more to come to Massachusetts."

"You like it here?"

"Oh, I love it. I've always wanted to see Boston, its such an interesting and beautiful place."

Ryan looked around him, it was definitely picturesque, filled with old buildings with stories to tell. He could say that he loved Boston too, but it wasn't because of the location.

"Are you from here?" She asked, taking him away from his thoughts,

He shook his head, "No, I'm actually from Canada. "

"Oh wow, what made you come here?"

"I wanted a change after I graduated from college, never could see myself staying in Canada for the rest of my life."

"What part are you from?"

"Cornwall."

Their pizza arrived right when he finished talking, the aroma was simply mouth watering. They both devoured it in under ten minutes, immediately regretting their actions afterwards.

"I haven't been this stuffed since forever." He groaned whilst holding his stomach.

"I know, but it was so good." She groaned as well.

Ryan knew he had to go back to work after this, but he didn't want to stop talking to Michelle, there was so much more to this girl- and he wanted to know all of it. "Would you want to come over to my place tonight?" He didn't want to wait until tomorrow or whenever to see her again.

"Of course, I can read your work then."

He bit his lip, "You're going to hate it, and probably hate me afterwards for it."

She laughed whimsically, "Oh come on, you can't be that bad."

"You'll see." He sighed.

Ryan paid, and they both walked out of the restaurant, where they walked back to the park. "I'll text you my address when I get off work. He said.

He didn't even hesitate as he pulled her in for a hug, much to his relief, she hugged back. Without it being noticeable, he inhaled her scent once again- the smell of coconuts filled his nose. "I'll see you tonight." He whispered as he let her go.

Michelle dazzled him with one of her smiles, "Okay, bye Ryan." She left him to go back to the hospital.

"How did I get so lucky?" He asked himself as he made his back way back to the office building.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, this is so horrible..