Status: on hiatus.

First Time for Everything.

ultrasound.

I refused to go to school for the next two weeks. I knew everyone knew my secret, and that was bad. I knew Ethan was telling everyone I was a liar and we had never slept together, and I was pretty sure that Madison was telling everyone I was a slut.

It was November the fifth. I was sixteen weeks along and it was the day that Ethan would take a paternity test to prove that he was the father, and I could only hope that would clear my name.

I was the first one up, I looked over at my clock and it was a quarter past six. My appointment wasn't until eight-thirty. I knew mom and Amanda would want to go, and while I appreciated the support, I just didn't know how they would handle it.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. It was pitch black in my room. Not even the hallway light was on. I swung my legs over the side of my bed and stood up, walking over to my door and flipping on the light.

I waited a minute, allowing my eyes to adjust to the light. I walked over to my closet and began to look for something to wear. I pulled out a long-sleeved black and grey striped shirt. I hung it up. I turned around and opened one of my dresser drawers and pulled out a pair of jeans. I grabbed my bra, a clean pair of underwear and a pair of socks.

I gathered my things and walked across the hallway and into the bathroom. I hung all of my clothes up on the hanger my shirt was on. I opened the cabinet and grabbed my toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner. I placed them all in the shower, and turned on the water.

I striped out of my pajamas and stepped under the hot water. I flinched at how hot it was, and quickly turned the cold water knob more. I grabbed my shampoo bottle and squeezed some out in my hand. I washed my hair, then conditioned it. I didn't bother with shaving. I washed my body off and rinsed out the conditioner. I turned off the water and stepped out.

I dried off and began to get dressed. I looked at the clock on the wall; it was only 6:34. I grabbed my toothbrush and the tube of toothpaste from under the cabinet. While brushing my teeth, I turned sideways and looked at my belly. I was beginning to actually show. I placed my hand on my belly, hoping to feel some kind of movement.

Nothing.

I sighed and pushed my shirt back down and finished brushing my teeth, thinking of how the events of today would turn out.

Image


A knock on my door startled me. I had accidentally fallen back asleep.

“Alex! You ready?!” Amanda yelled. I groaned and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“Yeah!” I yelled back, “just let me put on my shoes!”

I grabbed my shoes and opened the door. I slipped them on and all but ran down the stairs. My mom and Amanda were waiting at the base of the stairs. Mom had my coat in her hand. I slipped it on and waited for mom and Amanda to finish doing whatever they needed to do.

“We’re going to drop Matthew off at his daycare, then we’re going to your appointment,” Mom told us. I nodded and watched Amanda scoop up Matthew.

“Where’s Abigail?” I asked.

“Dad took her to school,” Mom muttered. I nodded again and followed Amanda out to the car. I helped her buckle Matthew in and went around to sit on the other side of the backseat. It wasn't long before mom and Amanda joined us in the car.

“Everybody ready?” Mom asked, her lips formed a tight smile. Everyone nodded, even Matthew. Mom started the car and off we went.

Image


It seemed like forever until we pulled up in the parking lot of the gynecologist. I scanned the parking lot, looking for Ethan’s car. I didn't spot it, and breathed a sigh of relief.

We all got out and walked in. Like last time, I had to go up to the receptionist window and sign in. I knew it wouldn't be long until we were called back.

I looked at the pregnancy magazines, trying to picture myself at eight months pregnant. Swollen ankles, always moody and I would be fatter than ever. Oh the joys.

“Alexandria Bunch?” a dark skinned nurse called out from her clipboard. I stood up while mom and Amanda followed behind. The nurse told me to go to a room and to wait until the doctor came in.

We weren’t waiting long, until the doctor came in. She wasn't the same as I had before. This one was taller, and had braces. She seemed nice.

“Hi Alex.” She smiled. I nodded and did a little wave.

“So, who’s your entourage?” she joked.

We all let out a tense chuckle, all we wanted was for this to be over.

“And you’re mom?” she asked, pointing at Amanda.

“Oh no, I’m mom,” Mom told her, holding out her hand for her to shake it, “this is Amanda, my eldest daughter.”

“Ah, okay, “ the doctor smiled. “well then, you guys just give me a minute and I’ll be right back.”

Image


We waited for a few minutes. The paper under the bed crinkled under me. Mom fiddled with her wedding ring. I knew that meant she was nervous, as was I. I had no idea how today would turn out.

Another knock on the door and the doctor came in. She was pushing another ultrasound machine.

“Okay Alex, I’m sure you know the drill, lay on your back and pull your shirt up. I’ll get the goo.”

I nodded and did as I was told. I was nervous. From what I had been told over the phone, they would be testing to make sure Ethan was the father, and if my baby had Down Syndrome or not.

The doctor turned around and had the tube of cold goo. She squeezed some out on my stomach. I flinched at how cold it was while she pressed the transducer on my stomach. Another doctor walked in, this was one was a man.

“Alex, this is Dr. Raymond, he’s going to take a sample of the amniotic fluid for the paternity test and to test for Down Syndrome,” the female doctor told me.

I nodded and shifted a bit, so Dr. Raymond could get around. The female doctor moved the transducer around my stomach, showing me my baby.

“You’re going to feel a pinch,” Dr. Raymond said. I felt the needle go into my belly as he began to extract the fluid. I bit down on my lip to keep from crying out. It was painful.

“Alright,” Dr. Raymond muttered, “now Alexandria, I’m going to need you to let me swab your mouth.” He held up a big q-tip looking thing. I opened my mouth and allowed him to get a glob of spit on it.

He put a cap on the syringe that had the fluid and placed the big q-tip in a jar.

“We’ll have your results shortly,” he told us. Mom nodded and thanked him. My eyes were fixed to the screen of the ultrasound. Seeing my baby move around was something truly amazing.

“Okay,” the other doctor smiled, “from what your little one is showing me, it looks like you’re having a girl.”

“A girl?” I asked, looking up at the screen. Amanda’s mouth dropped open.

“Yep, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. When you’re twenty weeks along, we’ll do a 4D ultrasound to make totally sure, but until then, I’d start buying a few pink things, just in case,”

“Okay,” I nodded, feeling the tears well up in my eyes. The doctor printed off pictures of the ultrasound and handed one to me. She quickly wiped off my belly and I got up.

“I can’t believe it,” I said to myself, letting one of my hands fall to my belly.

“Oh, before I forget, you probably won’t feel any fetal movement until twenty weeks or so, but you never know, some women feel it sooner, some feel it later, either way, I hope you have a wonderful day,” she told us.
♠ ♠ ♠
o: a girl?! oh my! what will alex name her?

better yet, what do you guys think she should name the baby?

i changed the layout and the story icon. i hope you guys like it. c:
also, it would mean a lot to me if i can get this up to a 150 readers. so spread the word!

read. | recommend. | subscribe. | comment.


Image