Status: Active

She's All That

V

Isabella groaned against her pillow, popping an eye open to see who had disturbed the sanctity of her bedroom. Her mother hastily pulled her curtains to the sides, allowing the sunlight to flood in, and went to stand at the edge of her bed; Her hands on her hips.

"Mom," Isabella sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "It's Saturday. No school. Remember?"

"I know, dear, but just because you don't have school doesn't mean you have to sleep the morning away. Now, get up."

Swinging her legs around, she rested them on the floor, teetering her weight on her feet before standing up. Sighing, Isabella pulled her hair up into a bun and made her way to the bathroom to do her morning routine.

"That's better." Penny smiled, resting against the door frame. "You know, Marcia called this morning. She said something about wanting to wish you a good trip." Isabella jerked her head to the side to stare at her mother, eyes wide. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere," Spitting the toothpaste out, she walked back into her bedroom to get her clothes for the day. "Why would she say that?"

Penny sighed. "Sweetheart, I know we don't always see eye to eye, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd just tell me what's going on."

"I try to."

"When?"

"Well, for starters, last night." Isabella pulled her shirt on and turned back around to face her mother. "I tried to tell you that I didn't want to hang out with Marcia or go on that double-date. But, you made me go."

"Isabella, I did not make you go. I didn't dress you up and force you to stay out for the majority of the night. You wanted to go."

"Wrong," Isabella laughed, throwing her pajamas in the hamper. "You told me to go. You said, and I quote, 'It'd be a great opportunity for me'." She grabbed her shoes and began pulling them on before walking towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Out. I don't want to be here right now."

"No, you don't." Penny grabbed her elbow, pulling her back into the room. "You're supposed to be on a trip, remember? You're going to stay in this house all day. If I find out you've left, you're going to be in big trouble. Understand?"

"Where are you going?" Isabella scoffed, eyeing her mother. She had on a tight, body-hugging red silk dress and a small black jacket; Not work appropriate clothing.

"I have a meeting, so I won't be back until this evening. I expect to find you in this house when I get home. If you set one foot outside, I will find out and you will be punished. Now, I've got to be heading out or I'll be late. I'll try to bring home dinner, okay?" Penny buttoned up her jacket and headed towards the front door. She grabbed her keys and pulled the door open, casting another glance at Isabella before walking out.

"Well, this is fabulous." She sighed, laying herself down onto the sofa. If her mother wasn't going to be here, at least she could get a few more hours of sleep.

Just as she felt herself drifting off, the phone rang. Picking herself up, she walked over to the receiver and stared at it. What if it was Marcia? What if she was calling to see if her plans fell through? She could always pretend to be her mother and tell Marcia that she had already left. Did she sound enough like her mom to pull that off?

Isabella shuddered, hoping she didn't. The only thing she had of her mothers was her eyes. And, she was glad for it. Hitting the button, she took a deep breath. "Hello?"

"Hi," The voice was too normal to be Marcia. "Is Bella there?"

"Speaking. Who's this?"

"It's Abagail. What are you doing today?"

"Oh," Isabella sighed in relief. "I thought you were someone else."

Abagail laughed, "Who else could I be? Listen, the guys and I were going to go to the park. We were wondering if you wanted to come? Unless you had another date."

She could hear Abagail struggling to hold her laughter in. "It wasn't by choice, I assure you."

"Another one of Marcia's brilliant ideas?"

"Exactly. What time are you going? I'm sort of grounded. I have to be back before my mom comes home."

"When does she get home?"

"Not till late."

"Then, you have nothing to worry about. The guys are probably already there. I can swing by and get you if you want?"

"Yeah," Bella smiled. "That'd be great."

"On my way."

Isabella hung up and walked outside to stand on her porch. Abagail didn't live too far away, only a few houses down, so she'd be there soon. She was nervous to hang out with all of them again but excited, none the less.

No doubt about it, though.

Today would definitely be better than last night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? I know this is sort of short and nothing happens in it, but it's setting up the next chapter. Thank you so much for reading!