‹ Prequel: Desert
Sequel: Devil
Status: Drabble/Finished/Completed

Zombie

Like A Zombie

Image

He was like them, yet he was a human being. He wasn’t like all the living dead bodies that walked on Earth but together with his last hope, his humanity was fading away along with the cold wind. It was winter, and memories of his life when he was married and lived happily with his wife and children danced in his mind. He would have given anything to be with them even if it meant being dead but he wasn’t able to die that easily.

He had traveled alone for the past six years but he never came across another human, only the zombies that were hunting him to eat him up. He missed looking into another person’s eyes and watching his reflection on them. He missed talking to someone other than himself and more than anything he missed his dead family. Again, his dead family was always his first and last thought. He didn’t want to feel like this but there was nothing he could have done about it. Missing a dead family member was how it worked for humans.

He secretly hoped to fall asleep and never wake up again but then again he didn’t have the guts to die…and even when he felt he wanted to die, he also wanted to live for he might had been the only human alive. Even though he felt lonely enough to want to end his life, he feared death but he didn’t want to admit it.

When he slept at night while trying to stay alive for as much as possible, nightmares haunted him…and even when he had pleasant, sweet dreams and opened his eyes, he wished nothing more that the dream to become his reality. The ocean blue eyes his two sons had where the same as his wife’s and their black hair where the same as his. None of his children had taken his kind brown eyes or his wife’s curly blonde hair.

When he happened to walk near cemeteries, his heart ached. He didn’t want to ever see his family as the creatures he hated. He made himself believe they had died as humans by creating coffins for them and burying them at the cemetery. His soul was breaking apart slowly and that mere thought and illusion he had created on his own helped him survive for all those years.

He wished he could join them in death but he didn’t want to be eaten or turned by those ugly creatures or even face death because of his fear. He wanted what every human would have desired at that time…to sleep and have a sweet dream where his family will be united and happy, and to never wake up…a pleasant death for a tortured human soul, the last human body walking on Earth.