Status: might turn into a story

The Fallen

Breaking new, breaking heart

As the rain poured down from the clouds, the woman felt her heart break with each drop. She tried to keep her breaths even and calm but they kept catching in the back of her dry throat. She began to tell herself that the news was not real. Her hero was still alive. No one could touch him. He was indestructible. The fellow soldiers of him came to break the news that broke her heart. She was no alone in this world. Her solider was no longer on the sidelines but in the clouds.

Each day began to get harder to face. She could not do this alone. The world was too difficult without his jokes to get her through bad days. His laugh was no longer music to her ears. She used to get mad at him when he couldn’t be serious, but now how she longed to see his childish grin. The weight of the loss pressed heavy on her shoulders. How can she tell their child that they would never see daddy again?

She finally built up the courage to talk to the young boy about his father. At the age of five would he understand? Would he be angry at her or at him for dying? She tried so many nights to tell the child. She honestly tried to let him know that their hero was in a better place. She wanted to tell him that his father always loved him and is looking out for him. Yet everytime she tried to tell the fragile child the new she saw a look of hope in his crystal eyes and could not tell him.

The night that she told him the terrible news he cried. He clutched onto her as if she were a life vest. His body shoock with each sob that came out of his little body, she clung onto him as he sobbed. The boy was not sobbing just for his falling father but for his mother. He saw how in love the two were even though he was young. He understood what love was. That is the main emotion that his parents showed him. Even when he didn’t listen they loved him. When they were proud and disappointed in him they still loved him. ‘This is what it must feel like to lose a hero’ he thought.