Status: Updates every Wednesday & Saturday.

Don't Go

Tom

"Do we have ta look normal?" Oli's voice rang in the quiet house.

Matt, Matty and Lee had left. Now, it was just Tom and Oli in their mothers home. They didn't like leaving her alone while Ian, their father, was out on his trips. He'd be back soon though.

"Yes, yeh do," Carol said as she walked into the kitchen. "Oliver, its juss for a few hours. How bad can it be, really?"

"Yeh have no idea," he muttered.

"Wha'?" their mother asked.

Oli shook his head and went to his old bedroom. Tom stayed with his mother, helping her every now and then.

"Why didn't any of yeh help?" She asked suddenly.

Tom's brows rose. "Wha'?"

"With tha girl; with Victoria. Yeh were there, all of yeh were. Yeh could've stopped his hands from grabbin' her."

"I tried. I got up and ran ova'," he explained, messing with his camera. "I didn't make it in time. And, she already did what was needed to be done."

She shook her head. "Poor gal. First day here and tha happens."

He nodded. He felt bad for the little bird. She needed a friend. Victoria was her name. It was a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Tom shook his head, trying to disperse those thoughts. He couldn't think like that. Drop Dead came before everything. He remembered his vows after that one incident. He didn't need to think about girls while Drop Dead was at its highest. Tom excused himself and went to his old bedroom. His room was the attic. He opened the door and walked up the short flight of stairs.

Magazines, dirty clothes and old shoes decorated the floor. He should probably clean it for his mom. He had only been here for three days and he already made a mess of his room. Tom kicked off his shoes and removed his camera from his neck and gently placed it on the dresser. He moved away from the dresser and to his unkempt bed. Victoria was coming over with her mom in an hour. He couldn't believe it was almost eight already. The guys had played football all day.

Tom sighed, staring up at the poster he stapled to the ceiling. He was 17 when he had put it there. It was a poster of some bikini model he couldn't remember the name to. He should probably take it down. He was 23 now, there was no point in having it up there. And, his mom might appreciate it as well. Turning to his side, he thought of Victoria without meaning to. Tom wondered what happened in America that made her move here. It must have been bad.

Real bad.

From the bottom of the steps, he heard someone open the door.

"Oi, Tom," Oli hollered. "Get showered. Mom wants yeh help."

Tom ran a hand through his short hair and sighed. He grabbed clean clothes from his closet, taking note that he should do laundry soon. He left his room and went straight to the bathroom. Steam still covered the mirror from Oli's shower. Tom placed his clothes on the sink counter and stripped. He stared at himself in the mirror for a moment, the steam distorting his body a bit. He messed with hair before stepping into the shower. Tom thought about what could happen during dinner. He grumbled to himself. What did it matter? Nothing, that’s what.

A sharp knock broke Tom from his thoughts. He let the water warm his back for a moment, then he shut it off. He wiped himself off and dressed in a white tee and black jeans. It was normal enough. Right? It was better than wearing something from Drop Dead, or something of the sort.

Down below, he heard the doorbell ring. He left the bathroom behind him, putting his clothes in his room. Tom walked down the stairs, shoes in hand. At the end of the steps, he put his shoes on. He could already hear Donna speaking to his mother. Oli was sitting on the couch, speaking on the phone. He was wearing a black tank top, most likely something from his line. Tom contemplated whether to bother him or talk to Victoria. He chose the latter. Just thinking about her made his palms sweat. He cursed under his breath and walked into the kitchen. Victoria was helping set up the table. His throat went dry.

What am I? A teenager going through puberty? Victoria was wearing a black dress that stopped mid-thigh. She turned and Tom's heart caught in his throat. The dress dipped low, showing enough cleavage. It made his mind wander. Yep, hormonal teenager. His eyes darted at her exposed skin. She had a few tattoos, which surprised him - a lot.

On her thigh, she had a raven perched on a tree branch. Across her chest, she had the phases of the moon. She had a snake coiled around her right bicep. She didn't seem to notice him watching her. Victoria was looking down as she always did. Tom took a step towards her. She looked up at the sound and smiled in his direction. His heart stopped for a second. Her lip was puffy where the cut was. He walked over to her, smelling lavender and vanilla.

"Yeh look nice," he managed to say.

Victoria looked down at her dress and shrugged. "Mom wanted me to look fancy. Even with a busted lip."

"I like it."

Her cheeks burned crimson. "Thank you."

"Back in America, yeh neva' got compliments?" He asked, interested.

She looked away, her blue eyes darting to the floor that interested her so. "No, never."

She hugged herself, causing Tom to suck in a breath. The innocent act made Tom avert his gaze. He didn't want her to know he was staring where he shouldn't. Girls were just a bother. All he wanted to do was get the hell out of his mother's house and back to the flat he shared with Oli. He wanted to be far away from Victoria. He heard her sigh. Tom looked back at her; he shouldn't have. Her eyes were blank, though it seemed a little sad. He finally noticed the fading scars on her wrist. He cursed inwardly. Maybe that was why she had to leave America.

"Well, I'll be damned," Oli laughed. "Yeh look propa gorgeous, Vicky."

Victoria blushed. "Thank you."

"I'd never in a million years fink yeh'd have tats." He touched the snake.

She flinched a bit, Tom saw. She didn't like to be touched. He noticed Oli's eyes flicker to her wrists. His smile changed to a thin line. Oli didn't like it as much as Tom. Tom turned to his mom, remembering she had asked for him.

"Did yeh need me?" Tom asked.

His mother shook her head. "No, no. Victoria helped. But, yeh can help bring tha food to tha table. Okay, love?"

He nodded and grabbed the bowl of Vegan Mac and Cheese. Oli was still talking to Victoria. She smiled often, but they never reached her blue eyes. Tom cleared his throat as he walked past.
"Yeh'll love tha Mac n Cheese," Oli said. "I wonder wha' else mum made tonight."

Victoria laughed at that. It made Tom smile. She had a beautiful laugh. He shook his head at his thoughts. He couldn’t wait until his father came back. Then, he could forget all about Victoria. Yet, there was truly nothing to remember. All he knew was her name and where she was from. She shouldn't be renting a space in his head.

Tom decided to speak to her. "What do your tattoos mean?"

"Does there have to be a meaning for everything? Why can't things just be?" She smirked, showing off a dimple. "I'm kidding - sort of. The raven is there because of Edgar Allan Poe. He's the best man to ever exist. The moon because I enjoy her. And, I love snakes, as well as Cleopatra."

That was the most Victoria spoke since Tom met her. It was obvious she didn't like a lot of people around her, unless she knew at least one person. He wondered what she would be like once she got to know him.

"Yeh should definitely model for my company," Oli slung an arm across Victoria's shoulders.

She tensed visibly, but soon relaxed. She was trying to get used to being touched.

"I don't know…" Victoria played with her fingers.

"Come on. It's not like yeh got a job already waitin'."

"Quit embarrassin' tha lil' bird," Tom broke in. "She obviously doesn't wanna model."

And, he didn't want to be around her for more than he had to.