Status: Attempting?

Southern Grace

Prologue

“Honey, are you sure about this?” My nana asked me, her concern tangible through the phone. I smiled a little bit before rolling my eyes; bringing my phone to my left ear as I turned onto the interstate.

“Nana, for the 12th time, I’m sure. It’s gonna be alright.” I said to her, fiddling with the radio while I was at a stop light.

“But honey, Carolina’s so far away.” She said, worry back into her voice.

“Yes ma’am it is, 1,054 miles away to be exact.” I said.

“That’s too far!” She exclaimed.

“Calm down Susan! The girl’s 21 year’s old. If she wants to move to another country we can’t stop her!” I heard my grandfather yell in the background, and it made me chuckle. I placed the phone against my shoulder as I felt my Rottweiler puppy, Remington, try to crawl into my lap.

“I still think it’s dangerous for a young lady to be in the city all by herself! There’s no tellin’ what kind of trouble she could get into!” By this time Nana and Papaw had stopped talking to me, and arguing with themselves. I just rolled my eyes again, before placing both hands on the steering wheel. Some Mumford and Sons song was on the radio, and I hummed along as I listened to my Nana and Papaw argue amongst themselves. Remington whined in my lap, and I took one hand off the wheel to scratch behind one of his tiny ears.

I felt the jeep bump and looked behind me to check on the trailer that held what few possessions I had brought with me on the move to Raleigh. An antique desk, an armchair, a dressing table, and my mother’s hope chest sat in the back of the U-Haul, along with all of my clothes and dishes.

She sighed, “Grace Marie, I still don’t think this is a good idea!”

“Susie Q,” I said, “It’ll be OK. It’s closer to the publishing company anyway.”

“I still wish you’d just stay put. ”She said, sighing.

I got quiet for a second, freezing up. My gaze immediately moved to my left hand. Even though I hadn’t worn it in 3 months, my hand still felt bare without the diamond ring there. My voice trembled a little as I fought back tears and said, “Nana you know I-I can’t do that. You know that.”

Sensing that she’d upset me, she sighed before saying, “ I know sweetie. I’ve gotta go, Sharon is calling me about something for the tent revival this weekend, but you call me or your Papaw when you get to Raleigh, ya hear?”

“Yes ma’am.” I said, before we said our goodbyes and I hung up. Sighing, I threw my phone into my purse, and gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. Remington nosed at my elbow, like he knew I needed some form of silent support. I scratched his ears again before fiddling with the radio once again.

It was going to be a long drive.
Image

After a 15 hour drive, I had finally arrived at Raleigh at 9:00, and reached my small home at 9:45. It was cold here, even for Remington. Snow fell from the sky, leaving a light dusting of white on the concrete. A shiver broke through me as I turned the heater on higher. I felt fine when I left this morning in a pair of skinny jeans and a hoodie. Now, it was doing virtually nothing to keep the wind at bay. I jumped out of the car before grabbing my backpack, purse and Remington before running to the front door. I locked it swiftly behind me, before toeing off my wet toms and huddling next to the closest vent. I smiled to myself as I saw Remington doing the same out of the corner of my eye.
I quickly shot my grandfather a text message saying that I’d arrived safely, before falling into a heap on the living room floor, Remington curling up beside me. I would definitely have to go furniture shopping tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey lovelies!
So it looks like I'm at it again. Hopefully this will be better than the others! Comments are appreciated (There's even a nifty little side bar you can use!), and I always comment back!
Stay Golden Lovelies!
xoxo-T

ps. I'm not sure if you're at all interested in it, but I usually do polyvore sets for the characters in every chapter. Here is the set for this chapter. :)