Sequel: Running From Lions

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Fourteen.

I woke up and rubbed my eyes before remembering what happened last night. I shot up and looked to my left, but she wasn’t there. She had already left.
Yesterday I had walked away from Makenna with intentions of never seeing her again. Instead, I ended up sleeping with her in the same night. Although the outcome will still remain the same, because now she’ll definitely never talk to me again. It probably only took her a second after she woke up to come to that decision, seeing as I have now turned her life upside down.

Makenna Raze had now cheated on her husband. With me.

Now, Makenna has definitely cheated before, as have I. In high school we both had a number of boyfriends and girlfriends that we didn’t remain faithful to. It was always because of our sneaking around with each other. This time would be different, though. Makenna was married, she was somebody’s wife. She had gone off and fallen in love and said vows. To some people that might not mean a lot. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything to Makenna either, I don’t know. But I do know that she thought once she got married and started her new life, that history between her and I would be, well, history. Obviously she was wrong.

Now I had no idea what I was supposed to do. If it wasn’t clear before, it was definitely clear now that Kenna still had feelings for me. After all, she had decided to sleep with me while she was completely sober. I didn’t know if I should talk to her or leave her alone. And I definitely couldn’t talk to anyone else about it.

I was fully aware of what I wanted to do, however. I wanted to drive to her house and kiss her and repeat last night over and over again. That was impossible though.

My phone vibrated on the nightstand next to me and I got excited. Part of me hoped it would be Makenna calling and apologizing for leaving this morning, telling me she was on her way over. But when I picked up my phone I saw that it was Garrett.

“Hello?” I answered.

“What. The. Fuck.” I heard on the other line. He was pissed. He had planned out a night of partying for my birthday and Makenna and I blew him off. I knew he would be mad, I would be mad if I was him too. I just didn’t want to deal with him right now. My mind was already running like crazy.

“Look, I’m sorry,” I said. I didn’t know what else to say.

“Are you going to tell me what the hell happened? What the fuck did you do yesterday?”

I couldn’t really tell him I hooked up with Makenna. I sighed. “Makenna and I just hung out.”

“Makenna was supposed to be the one to bring you here!” Garrett shouted. “What the fuck, man. Seriously. You could’ve at least answered your phone to let me know you weren’t going to show up.”

“Look, I said I was sorry. You knew I didn’t want to do anything in the first place,” I said, annoyed. “I have to go, I’m dealing with a lot right now.” I hung up the phone before he could say anything else.

I should’ve felt worse for blowing Garrett off but I didn’t. All I felt was this ongoing need to have Makenna laying next to me... and a drink.

That was exactly what I needed. A drink. I craved it in times like this. Times when I couldn’t get Makenna out of my mind.

I jumped out of bed and threw a pair of jeans on along with a T-shirt. I didn’t care if I had made a deal with the guys about not drinking. They didn’t have to know, right?

I got in my car and drove to the nearest bar that our friend Ray managed. It was only noon but I didn’t care. I knew Ray had the lunch shift most days and I hoped that I could at least get some free drinks, if that was the only good thing to happen to me today.

As suspected, the bar was fairly empty aside from a couple having lunch at a small table and a girl talking to Ray at the bar.

Ray looked up at me and I smiled. He looked back at the girl and nodded towards me. She turned around and my smile dropped, as did hers. Makenna. Of course. I should have known it was her from behind. I was usually pretty good at that sort of thing. As much as I wanted to see her and wanted to be with her, I knew that she wouldn’t want to see me.

If I left now Ray would know something was up. So I took my time walking towards the bar and sat on a stool one over from Makenna.

“Hey man, what are you drinking?” Ray asked.

I opened my mouth to give him my order but Makenna cut him off. “He’s not drinking anything.”

I looked over to her. “You’re kidding right?”

She didn’t look at me. “I’m serious, Ray. Don’t give him anything with alcohol in it.”

I rolled my eyes. All I wanted was to take a couple of shots and possibly forget about Makenna for a couple of hours. Now here she was, siding with Garrett and not allowing me to drink.

I laughed. “Come on, Ray. Are you really going to listen to her?” I already knew my plea was worthless though. Ray would listen to Makenna over me any day. I think anyone in this town would.

“Sorry, John. She seems pretty serious.” He filled up a glass with water and put it on the bar in front of me.

“Well, I’m going to go. Thanks Ray.” Makenna smiled at Ray and threw back the rest of her drink before getting up to walk out of the bar. I wanted to follow her, talk to her, find out what she was thinking and feeling. Now that I couldn’t have a drink there was nothing to lose.

“I’ll be right back,” I said to Ray before deserting the glass of water and following Makenna out of the bar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while. I recently moved across the country and things have been hectic. But surprise, surprise. They slept together! Sorry this chapter is mostly filler, but I hope you like it still.