Sequel: Running From Lions

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Seventeen.

"That's the last of it," Garrett said, setting down a box of kitchen supplies from my parents.

"Thanks," I said, flopping down on the couch, which we pulled from my parents basement. Pretty much everything in this apartment was from my parents, and I was exhausted from moving it all.

"I put all of the bathroom stuff away," Makenna said, walking out of the bedroom. "Do you want me to start on this box?" She pointed to the box at Garrett's feet.

I shook my head. "I can do it. You really don't have to do any of this."

Makenna shrugged and sat next to me on the couch. "I want to help."

"So what are you guys doing today?" Garrett asked, leaning over the counter in the kitchen.

I shrugged. "I'm unpacking all day, I guess." I was hoping that Garrett would sound bored and leave. I wanted to be alone with Makenna, and I could tell he was still mad about me ditching out on the party he threw me.

"Great," Garrett said, too enthusiastically, "Then I'll stick around with you guys." He looked from me to Makenna.

"Sorry," Kenna said, "I actually have plans with Pat." She got up and grabbed her purse by the door. "Um, call me if you need anything else." She smiled at the both of us and left.

I didn't know if Makenna actually had plans with Pat or if she was trying to dodge the awkward feeling that Garrett was putting off. Either way, I was upset she was leaving. Things between the two of us were finally okay. She didn't hate me, she didn't hate herself. I wanted to be with her as much as possible before things went sour again.

"What are you doing, John?" Garrett asked, walking over to me and taking Makenna's previous spot.

"What do you mean?"

"With Makenna. I'm not an idiot, John. I know something is going on between you two again." Garrett paused waiting for my confession, but I didn't give it.

"There's nothing going on," I lied.

"Come on, John. Just a couple weeks ago you were terrified of seeing her. Now you're with her everyday."

"There's nothing going on. I have Ashlyn."

Garrett stood up. "You can keep lying all you want, John. I know what's going on here. But do you? You're sleeping with a married woman. Did you forget that? Makenna is married. This isn't high school anymore. At the end of the day she is someone else's girl. She'll never be yours."

"You don't think I know that?" I asked. Garrett was getting on my nerves. I knew Makenna wouldn't be mine, but it didn't mean he had to shove it in my face some more. This was something I didn't want to think about right now.

"If you know that then what are you doing?" Garrett shook his head. "You are just ruining your life and Makenna's. And Ashlyn is great. She IS yours. If you don't feel that way, then you need to let her know that. It's not fair to her, John. Ash does not deserve this."

"What does she deserve, Garrett? You? Because right now it sounds like you want my girlfriend."

"That's not what I meant, and you know it." Garrett shook his head. "Grow up John." I watched him turn and leave the apartment.

I buried my face in my hands. Was Garrett right? Was I ruining Makenna's life? Am I just the selfish asshole that he thinks I am? Maybe I was. This past week I had conjured up every lie I could just to dodge hanging out with Ashlyn. To answer Garrett's question, I didn't know what I was doing. All I knew now was that I just confirmed Garrett's theory, Makenna and I were hooking up. I didn't know what would happen next. I just hoped he wouldn't do anything about it.

I also knew that if Garrett had caught on to what was going on, then it wouldn't be long before everyone else would too. I had some major damage control to deal with. If everyone found out, it really would ruin Makenna's life.

I picked up my phone and dialed Ashlyn's number.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hey, so I moved in to my new place today."

"Yeah," Ashlyn sighed. "I heard."

"Do you want to come over?"

"Yeah," she said, surprised. "I'll be over in about an hour. Text me the address."

I texted her the address and sat on the couch waiting. I didn't feel like unpacking boxes while I waited. I ran through my conversation with Garrett over and over again until I heard the knock on the door. I finally got up and answered it.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Hi," she said, stepping in and looking around. "This is nice."

"Yeah, I guess," I said. It was silent for a minute as Ashlyn walked into the apartment more, really looking at it.

"So? Finally breaking up with me?" She said. She turned and looked at me. Her tone was harsh and I wondered if Garrett had already talked to everyone about what was going on with Makenna.

I gave her a confused look. "Why would I do that." I put my arms around her waist and pulled her in to me.

She relaxed a little bit. "You've been avoiding me all week."

I smiled. "Yes, I have." I laughed a little. "But it has nothing to do with you. Just wanted some alone time for myself." I leaned in and kissed her once before resting my forehead against hers. "Okay?"

"Well I guess that's okay," she smirked.

I pressed my lips against hers again and all of a sudden it was heating up fast. She pulled my shirt off over my head and started unbuttoning my pants. I knew that there wasn't any excuse I could use to stop this now. I pulled Ashlyn's shirt off and led her into the bedroom. The sheets weren't on the bed yet, but there were blankets thrown on to it. We stripped off the rest of our clothes and got in the bed. I didn't want to do this with Ashlyn, but I felt like I had to. If she didn't think things were normal, nobody else would either. Ashlyn climbed on top of me and kissed my neck, and I started getting into it.

I heard something at the door and turned to see what it was right away.

"Oh my God." Makenna was standing in the doorway with wide eyes.

"Ken," I started, but she was already making her way out of the apartment.

I threw Ashlyn off of me and grabbed a loose blanket from the bed, wrapping it around me. I ran out of the bedroom and then out of the apartment to find Ashlyn walking down to the hallway.

"Makenna, wait," I called.

She stopped and turned. Her eyes were watering but there weren't any tears rolling down her cheeks. "Leave me alone, John."
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think John is an asshole? Hope you guys liked this one!