Sequel: Running From Lions

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Six.

"Hello?" Ashlyn's perky voice rang through the speaker of my phone.

"Ash?" I said back, "Sorry about yesterday."

"It's okay, babe. Seriously. Are you okay?" She asked.

"What?" Pat said she had no idea what happened last night. "Yeah, I'm fine. Do you want to go to this party? I can pick you up now."

"You're going?" She asked. "I thought you were sick. Garrett said you were puking your guts out."

Well, what Garrett said was half true. "Yeah, it passed. I'm fine."

"Okay, well I'm on my way with Melanie right now, but I'll meet you there?"

"Yeah, I'll see you in a little bit." I hung up the phone and flopped onto the bed. Maybe I shouldn't be going to this party. I scrolled down my recent caller list to Makennas name. I still had no idea why she was with me last night. Part of me wants to know why, and the other part of me doesn't want to find out.

I got up and grabbed my jacket and keys before heading out. I got into my beat up car and contemplated on whether or not I should go, again. I didn't want the guys sitting there watching my every move but I also wanted to show them I could be around alcohol and not get trashed whenever Makennas name came up.

I put my keys in the ignition and started the car up, driving to the address that Pat had texted me earlier. What was up with all of these house parties anyways? We're not in high school anymore.

I parked a little ways down from the house and walked as slowly as I could toward it. It was huge. The front door was open and I let myself in to the crowded foyer. I shuffled through people trying to find a familiar face until finally I found Kennedy against a wall with Pat.

"Hey."

"Hey," Kennedy said, "Want me to get you a drink?"

I knew he was testing me, it was obvious really. Especially when both Kenny and Pat were staring at me anxious for an answer.

I let out a small laugh. "No, thanks."

"John," Pat said, "I'm going to tell you this before it's a surprise again, Makenna is going to be here tonight."

Of course she is. I should've expected that already. I nodded. "It's fine, Pat. I'm fine." I looked from Pat to Kennedy and back again. "Really guys. Ashlyn is here somewhere, I'm fine."

I looked around the party, recognizing a few people from high school but not remembering their names. Most people were complete strangers. Whose house was this anyways?

"Have you seen Garrett?" I asked them.

"Kitchen," Kennedy said.

I walked away from them and looked around the house for the kitchen, wherever that was. Seriously, whose house was this? It was huge. A couple rooms over and I found Garrett leaning up against a countertop.

"You're here," He said, once he saw me.

"Yes," I said, "I'm here. And I'm not drinking."

"Good."

"Hey, I'm sorry," I said, "And I'm going to try really hard to not do anything stupid when Kenna comes up in conversation, or shows up, or anything."

"Speaking of," Garrett said. He nodded toward the entry way to the kitchen.

I turned and my eyes locked onto Makenna, seconds later her eyes met mine. Instantly I felt like my heart was going to burst from my chest. I gave her a small smile and she walked over to us.

"Hey guys," she smiled, mostly at Garrett. "Is it just me or do you not know anyone here?" She laughed. God her fucking laugh.

"I was thinking the same thing," I said.

"What are you talking about?" Garrett said, "There's Jake Ryan, Ashley Hernandez, Tressa Kleatman," He pointed at people in the crowd. "Everyone is here."

Garrett knows everyone, Garrett talks to everyone. Now I know why we're at this house party in the first place.

Makenna looked at me for a second but looked back at Garrett right away, and Garrett noticed. "I'm going to find Ray, you guys, just... bye."

I wanted to laugh at Garrett's failed attempt at a smooth exit but the fact that Makenna was in front of me put my nerves on fire.

"Um, thanks," I started, "For last night."

She just nodded, "It's fine."

"If you don't mind me asking," I laughed a little, "Why'd you help me if you hate me so much."

She smiled and rolled her eyes. "I don't hate you, John."

"There you are!" I felt two hands wrap onto my arm and I turned to see Ashlyn, ecstatic to see me. "I've been looking for my boyfriend forever now!" Ashlyn turned to Makenna. "Oh my God, Makenna. I haven't seen you in forever."

Makenna gave a fake smile. "Hi," she pressed her lips into a thin line and looked at me, then back at Ashlyn. "I have to go."

I watched as she turned and made her way through a crowd of people towards what I knew was the front door.

"What's her problem?" Ashlyn asked.

I rolled my eyes and pulled Ashlyn's arms off of me. "I'll be right back." I made my way through the crowd, following Makenna.

When I reached the front door I saw her already ways down the sidewalk. I started running to catch up with her. "Ken, wait," I yelled. she didn't stop. "Kenna, come on, Ken."

She turned around and I stopped running. I was about five feet away from her and I started getting closer. "What?" She asked. She was mad, that much was obvious.

I stopped.

"What the hell do you want John?" She asked.

I shook my head, not knowing what to say. I already knew why she was mad. "I don't know."

"Of course not, you never know." She dropped her head for a second and looked back up at me. "Boyfriend?" She asked. "Really?"

I shrugged, "What do you want me to say?"

"How about I'm sorry Makenna." Her voice was growing louder. "How about I'm sorry I fucked you over too many times to count."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything. Nothing I said would make her any less mad.

"And Ashlyn? Really?" She asked.

"Ken.."

"Don't John, don't." She shook her head. "I waited four fucking years to be able to call you my boyfriend. That should've been me."

"Are you kidding me Makenna?" I felt myself getting angry now. "You're married. You were the one that ran off and married some other guy."

"I was tired of fucking waiting for you John." She crossed her arms. "I was tired of waiting for something that was never going to happen."

She turned around and started walking again.

"Makenna, stop."

"No," she said, turning one last time. "Just leave me alone, John."
♠ ♠ ♠
I saw The Maine last night, holla! It was great, okay. But tbh, the real reason I went was for Brighten. I've been waiting to see Brighten for like six years now.