Status: Just testing the waters with this:)

White Lies

Two

The party had ended. I felt a little bit dazed to be honest. All of my friends and family had come, and I was surrounded with hugs and kisses, presents and whatnot. I really appreciate it, I really do, it's just a bit much that's all.
"Sweetie! How did you like your birthday party?" my mom said, with a wide smile.
"It was great!" I lied. "Thank you so much, Mum!" I said, and hugged her so as to not blow my cover.
"Oh, it's nothing honey. Wow, look at the time! Midnight already?! You better go up to bed, sweetie. Goodnight!" she said, her tone faster and higher than usual. She was hiding something. I smiled and nodded, before kissing her on the cheek and heading upstairs. It must be nothing, my parents argue sometimes. Maybe that was it, they'd just argued. They've never lied to me, ever, I thought as I drifted to sleep.

"You said that we would tell her!"
"We can't! You know she would freak out, maybe even run away!"
"She's our daughter, Harry!"
"You know that isn't true, Janet."
I woke up to the hushed conversations of my father and mother across the hall. I got out of bed slowly, and crept silently towards my father's study. The voices got louder.
"We need to tell her soon!" my mum hissed.
"It's too soon! She wouldn't understand! Look, I'll just put the files back and we can forget all about it! Okay?"
I heard a drawer opening and closing. I walked quickly and quietly back into my room, and pretended I was fast asleep. Footsteps neared. The door creaked open, and a thin stream of light entered the room onto my face. My father sighed, and I felt the light disappear as he closed the door. What the hell were they on about? I had to see. They had never hidden anything from me. Not in my knowledge, anyway. I crept back to the door, and opened it carefully. I silently opened each drawer, until I found two files. I opened one. Inside was paper clippings about a girl named Alexis Danford, who got abducted as a baby. Poor girl, I thought. Then, I opened the other one. I gasped, then clapped my hands to my face, realizing how loud I was. It was a picture of me! Oh, wait, no it wasn't....it was a picture of the other girl, Alexis. She looked exactly like me! I scanned through the list of crazy possibilities inside my head. Did they kidnap me? Abduct me? Nah, they wouldn't do that. But if they didn't, then what were they talking about?! No, I shouldn't think like this. They must have kept the articles and pictures because she looks so much like me, and they felt sorry for her and her family. Yeah. It must be. I suddenly felt a twang of guilt for going through my dad's things. But then again, they were talking very loudly, and I couldn't help overhearing. I snuck back into my room, and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.