Runner in the Night

Running Out of Time

Everyone went back to do what they’re best at. Vic and Tony did some manual research by the books, Mike made some calls to some of his hunter friends while Jaime and Vienna exchange information they found at the internet. It was dawn when Tony decided to turn the TV on and apparently some chaos happened when they were digging books.

“Three deaths in a night within 15 miles radius. The cops must have been crazy right now.” Mike mumbled as Vienna stood up.

“I’ll just have to be Agent Moore now. I’ll send everything I find to you, Jaime. But you know what? Maybe I can use a partner. Who’s the best in the field here?” Vienna raised her eyebrow as the other men looked at Vic. “Yeah but he’ll draw too much attention.” She said as the TV showed the picture of the victims.

“No, he’s going to be perfect. One of the victims, that girl, Rayleigh, she came to our show last night. Vic could visit her friends and ask if any of them witnessed anything. I can help too.” Mike suggested as the other two approved.

Vienna and the Fuentes brothers went their own ways. The nearest crime scene was only 20 minutes away from their venue as Vic and Mike learned the victim’s house – aka their fan – was only 5 blocks away from where they were.

Vic knocked on the door as a lady, probably in her late 40s came out and looked shock. It seems like she recognize both of the boys as they introduced themselves as who they are, the Fuentes brothers from the band her daughter went to last night.

“She was a good kid, boys. I didn’t know anything but she was with Carl. Maybe you should ask him. He lives three houses away from us.” She sobbed as she escorted the Fuentes out of her house.

As the boys walked toward this Carl guy, Jaime sent them a picture of the victim, and as expected, there were ectoplasm around their bodies. And there was something else, a penny. But it wasn’t an American penny, none of the brothers could identify the coin so they shrugged it off as Jaime sent a following text saying that could be a coin from decades ago.

“Possible suspect, demon who works with witch? Come on!” Mike grunted as Vic took a deep breath.

“At least now we can find our suspect. I'm telling Jaime and Tony to check on the hood now. House with no real plants must be our guy.” Vic smirked as they knocked on the guy’s door.

“No way. No fucking way! What the hell are you guys doing here? Well, not that I'm not happy but guys, really, why are you here?” A teenage boy, probably around 19 opened the door. He was excited at first as it changed into sadness. “Ray would’ve killed me if you guys knocked on my door and not hers…” he added as he let the Fuentes in.

“What happened last night, Carl?” Mike asked with no hesitation.

Carl’s eyes widened as he refused to answer. Having dealt with these kinds of expression, Vic and Mike knew Carl must have seen something but refused to believe it. Vic took a step closer to Carl as he sat down next to him while Mike decided to grab some drink from the kitchen when Carl told him to made himself home.

“You wouldn’t believe me, Vic.” Carl mumbled.

“Trust me, buddy. We’ve heard stranger things.” Vic reassured the frightened boy in front of him.

“It was Laney. Ray’s elder sister. But she passed away three years ago because of car crash. But I swear to God Vic, Laney looked sad. She almost killed me too, but Laney seems like she fought back, you know? Like something else was taking over her. When she took control, she let us go, but I ran faster than Ray. That’s why I’m still breathing.”

Carl told everything he saw and the brothers believed every single words coming from his mouth as Vic showed him the penny Jaime sent him earlier, and according to Carl, Laney’s spirit was wearing the penny on her wrist and flaming. The brothers said bye to their fanboy as they made their way to their bus to find more information about the whole ritual.

“It’s a witch who is also working with demon to summon these spirits. She couldn’t pull it alone. Best guess? She’s a newbie and she wants to have revenge. And on my way here, I found a house with all the dead plants. Want to give this house a visit, boys?” Vienna said as she entered the house with a huge smirk.

As always, on every hunt, Jaime stayed inside their bus to monitor their hunt from distance, while Tony comes along to help the brothers.

Vienna parked her car just outside the house as she skillfully picked the lock for the four of them to enter the house. They couldn’t be more right. It was indeed a witch craft. The blood and symbols and all the thick spell books were all over the house. Unfortunately, there wasn’t just one girl for them to take on. There were two.

Vic’s eyes went wide the moment he saw one of the girls standing in front of his eyes. He didn’t want to believe it but it was so real, and he didn’t know what he should thought of.

“Leona?” Vic said almost inaudible.

“Don’t be so surprised, Victor... She’s just the meat. I'm not your fucking girlfriend. She’s long gone.” One of them said as her eyes went fully black. “Oh, I wonder if you and Vienna here really have the juice.” She added.

As they were chatting, the other girl, started to chant something. Vic could see how Mike was slowly running out of breath but he and Vienna looked just fine. As the chant got louder, Vienna sense the fear on the black-eyed demon as she ran toward the girl and stabbed her right on her tummy as her inside went in flash light, as if it was burning. The witch was now left alone and was in deep fear as Mike took his gun and shot her dead in place.

In the mean time, Vic took his moment and pulled his girlfriend’s dead body into a warm hug as he felt her remaining slowly turn into ashes. Vic didn’t know what was happening. Why did the demon said so about him and Vienna. He didn’t even know a single knife could kill a demon. But he knew he had a tour to do, so before it gets more chaotic, he let Mike took him and Vienna away from there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy reading!
-Amelia