Status: Contest

Life of an Hour Glass

Past

Adjusting the oxygen wire on Carly’s face, Dr. Drew then exited the room. As he walked down the dim hallway, he rhythmically tapped his finger against the clip board.

As he approached the waiting room, he tilted his glasses to the tip of his nose and scanned the vast room. There sitting with his head hanging in midair and mouth wide open, Dr. Drew walked to Chris tapping the sleeping body.

“She’s awake now,” He said calmly pointing to the room.

Chris awoken from his sleep hoping this all was one big dream, but no, it really happened. His wife for only what seemed seconds collapsed in the middle of their beautiful wedding. He’d been here since she was emitted into the ICU, four nights ago.

His eyes were puffy from crying, he’d been sitting in the same spot with no explanation given to him.

Yawning, he quickly stood to his feet and started to walk to room 523. Racked up in the middle of his thoughts, he turned around grabbing Dr. Drew by the shoulder. “What happened? Why did she collapse?”

He gave Chris’s hand a pat and shook his head. “I think you should talk to Carly and see for yourself.”

“But—“he shook his head again, motioning Chris to the door.

“Go,” he said, giving Chris and apologetic smile.

Chris nodded in irritation and walked off to Carly. Entering the room, everything was dark but the small head lamp in the corner. Carly lied in the bed with the covers pulled up and an IV hooked to her arm, the sound of the oxygen tank echoes through the room.

Rushing over, he dropped to his knees, grasping her hands. Her eye weakly opened, a faint smile appeared on her face. Her skin was pale compared to her usual honey skin, his simple touch made her cold body shiver.

“Hey,” he said ever so gently, afraid if he were to speak any louder she’d crumple beneath him.
Instead of responding, tears started to trickle down her cheeks. She closed her eyes inhaling a sharp breath. “Chris,” he voice finally cracked to life.

“Are you okay? Can I get you anything?” He rubbed the palm of her hand slowly. She shook her head, inhaling another short breath. “Tell me what’s wrong, baby. Please, the damn doctor won’t tell me anything.”

Her eyes slowly began to open again, tears streamed down her face. Her lower lip started to tremble as her other hands reached for him. He wiped the tears away with his sleeves, bringing her close to him, holding her small frame, feeling every inch of her body shake.

“I’m scared, Chris.” She mustered. He got up from the ground and gently scooted her body over; he sat onto the bed and held her.

“Don’t be scared,” he cooed softly. “I’m right here, everything will be okay.”
Her sobs began to intensify, small whimpers turned to cries for help. His heart slowly shattered, not being able to help her. All he could do is hold her, protect her.

“I-I should tell you what’s—“

He shushed her, kissing the top of her head. “Not now, get some rest. You’ve got all the time to tell me when you’re feeling a little better.”

“But Chris, this is important.” She said through cries, which had died down.

“Nothing is more important than my wife getting her beauty sleep.” He said lightly, trying to ease the mood. Even though his heart was shattering as the minutes went by, not knowing what’s wrong. But now, all he wanted to do was hold her in his arms, and comfort her like a husband should do.

He was never letting go.

&


As she started to wake up, the sun poured in through the blinds. Beside her lay the man of her life, the best husband she could ask for.

Lifting her arm up to his face, she rubbed her thumb against his chin, then to his lips. “I’m going miss kissing those lips.” She whispered.

Grabbing his hand, she intertwined their fingers. Letting his long skinny fingers wrap around hers.
If only he knew she thought to herself, letting a single tear of guilt glide down her face.

&


She laid there while the nurses did their things, check-up and what not. She limply lay there, keeping her eyes on the ceiling counting each and every tile.

She could feel Chris watching her from the other side of the room, his eyes were blood shot. Shifting uncomfortably, she sat up weakly. “Hey Chris?” she mustered to the best of her abilities. He stood up from his chair and hurried to her side. “Do you mind getting me some blankets, I’m kind of cold.”

He nodded and wandered off out of the room. Letting her head rest onto the pillow, Nurse Jackie came up beside her and started to fuss with the IV. “He’s a darling,” she said.

She nodded her head agreeing, he was the best.

Her body felt heavy, the pain in her chest took its turn with the dizziness. She was mentally and physically exhausted, sleeping for a lifetime didn’t sounds so bad at the time.

As Jackie continued to roam the room fixing up little things, Dr. Drew came in. Carly didn’t bother to fake a smile, she was done pretending things were okay.

“Hello Carly, how are you feeling today?” Dr. Drew asked pulling up a chair next to her. This time he didn’t have such a bright smile, his face was unreadable. Simply nodding her head, he continued knowing the answer. “I need to talk to you about something important.” She turned to face him. “I really don’t know how to say this to you but—“

“I know,” was all she said.

“I’m sorry,” he said letting out a sigh. “You’ve been strong, Carly. You’re sure as hell a fighter.” She shook her head, shutting her eyes. “Since the first day I met you 9 months ago, I knew I would never lose hope in you. I know the situation right now, but in my heart I still have hope in you.”

Her face was about the color of the sheets below her, her eyes becoming glassy, losing her beautiful green shade. “You don’t have to sugar coat it, you and I both know I’m dying. Anemia kicked my ass.”

“I know you and I do, but does Chris?” Her eyes shot open alarmed. Jackie turned her slightly with a worried look. “You have to tell him, this has been going on too long. He should have known when this all started 9 months ago.”

Guilt ran through her body, there comes another pain in her chest. Not from what you think, but simply heart-ache.

“Maybe it’s a good time to tell him now?” Chris voice came from the door way, shock wore his face.

“Chris,” Carly gasped trying to sit up right.

“You’ve been sick all this time and you hid it from me?” Shock quickly changed into anger, he threw the blankets on the ground shaking his head.

“Chris please,” she breathed breathlessly.

“No, how could you do this to be? How could you let me marry you knowing you’ve been lying to me this whole time?” He spat angrily at her, Dr. Drew and Jackie at took and left the room.

“I didn’t lie to you, please believe me.” She pleaded.

“Don’t you think I deserved to know that my girlfriend was sick and was eventually going to die? Don’t I at least deserve that?” His fists were clenched, as he stay put by the doorway. “You had me worried thinking this came out of nowhere, on our fucking wedding day Carly.”

All she could do was cry, she had this all coming.

“You’re unbelievable, you know that?” He snarled bitterly.

Her head started to feel like a bag of feathers, the pain in her chest had deepened. Clenching her chest, she inhaled slow breaths.

“Can you look at me?” He snapped not noticing her pain, letting his anger take over. When she didn’t look at him, he gave up. “God you’re a selfish human being, Carly.”

He stormed out of the room leaving her to fend for herself, she’d never felt so vulnerable in her entire life. A thick cloud of different emotions weighed over her, her heart beast quickened rapidly, as her body lost its color.

Chris left her when she’d needed him most, one simple secret could break the strongest of people.

“I-I only did it to protect—you.” As the words left her mouth, the only sound that came out next was stressed and wasn’t called for.