Status: Contest

Life of an Hour Glass

Present

Unfolding the disheveled envelope, he took a long breath bracing him to what was to come. It smelled like her, a sweet scent of vanilla. Without reading the letter, he sees her perfect hand writing, he’d always loved the way she’d capitalized her ‘R’s and how she’d never dot her ‘I’s.

It was finally the time for him to read what was left of her.
Chris,

You made me the happiest girl on this planet earth when you asked me to marry you. I’d never thought this day will come, the day I get to marry the man of my dreams. The way you could crack a joke under and circumstance, to that irresistible smirk you wear on your face, makes me love you even more. I will always remember when we first met, who knew when a guy was mean to a girl, it truly did mean he liked her! Things wouldn’t be the way they are now if we hadn’t both met at camp. You really hold a secure spot in my heart, my first kiss, my first love. You really knew how to charm a teenage girl, all those cheesy pickup lines practiced in front on the mirror really paid off. Thank you for being the man you are, loving, caring, passionate, and most definitely loyal.

I’m really sorry this all had to end this way, you didn’t deserve it. This didn’t end like it does in movies, with a happy fairy tale ending, in our case, more of a tragedy hitting the heart. Please understand where I’m coming from and why my actions spoke louder than words. Anemia really is an ass kicker, it all started days after you proposed. I didn’t have the guts to tell, how could I? We were to get married and start our life together; I wasn’t going to let myself interfere with that. Maybe in the end it wasn’t the best of ideas, but I did it for you. You were so happy; how I could I bring you down like that? So I kept it to myself, went through treatments, took the given meds, and went on with life. I fought, but know I fought for you. So many times I’ve given up, it was all getting to me. But in the end of the day, I thought back to you, the one who brought me to where I am today, I owed you.

Please don’t hold the grudge of knowing I didn’t tell you sooner, call me selfish but it was done with the intentions of protecting. I know I’ll never be forgiven, and this won’t be forgotten. But this was out of love, the love I have for you, which kept me going, fueling my fight.

Even though I’ve lost the battle, it’s not because I ran out of fuel, your love that I ran on. It was just something that was meant to be, take everything as an unforgettable journey, and live and learn. Just because I’m not there anymore doesn’t mean I ever stopped loving you, remember that place you have in my heart, which is carried with me forever.

Please take care of yourself, do yourself and me a favor and find love. Someone who will always be there by your side, someone who can fill the role of being the night and shining star in your life. Cause you know why? In the end of the day you deserve it, a man like you deserve a happy ending, a magically fairy tale ending.

You might be sitting there right now calling me crazy for telling you to find another woman. But this is said with love, you deserve more than what I gave and could have ever given you. You’re a wonderful person, Chris. Whoever you choose will be the luckiest woman ever, and will be grateful. Because I sure as hell was, and I thank you for that. So take the one girl and tie here down, don’t take the chance of losing her.

I love you Christopher, and I’m sorry for all the pain and heartbreak I’d put you through. I’m sorry I couldn’t leave you anything to remember me by except that. Take care; I’ll be watching you from above, toots/

Love,

Carly

Tears streamed down his face, his heart shattered into pieces. She thought he was mad at her, but he wasn’t. At first he was, but now? He was only hurt, she hadn’t let him into her world, and didn’t let them go through it together. He was hurt, not mad.

Grief filled his mind thinking back to the last time he’d laid eyes on her. Just slapping himself mentally as he replayed the last words that left his mouth. The last words she’d ever hear again. She wasn’t selfish, she was protecting him.

Picking up the letter again, he re-read the last lines.

Letting his eyes fall before himself, he watches a boy run around chasing a butterfly. He couldn't help think to himself, she was wrong. She didn’t leave him with nothing to remember her by, she’d left him with their son, Ben
♠ ♠ ♠
Ben