Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

The first meeting

Behind the baby grand piano in the empty band room Patrick let his fingers run over the keys, playing melodies that he made up in his head as he went along. Patrick was known for skipping lunch and spending time alone in the band room. He had been kicked out the first few times but after the band director actually heard him play one day he hadn't bothered him since. So Patrick was left alone with his thoughts, playing songs that would probably never be heard by anyone but himself. That was until the day that she showed up.

It was right after winter break of their freshmen year, Brook was a new student having transferred after being bullied out of her old school. She had begged to be home schooled, never really getting along with others her age but since both of her parents worked outside of the home they said it wasn't an option. So that first day she found a quiet place to eat alone during lunch. A small hallway that connected the band room with the choir room, the class she had right before lunch. No one seemed to hang around so she figured it was a good enough place to hide from the world.

As Brook dug into her carrot sticks and tuna with crackers she heard a noise come from the band room. At first she thought maybe the teacher was just enjoying his lunch with some classical CD. But when she realized that she couldn't even place the song she decided to take a look for herself. Curiously she peeked through the window of the classroom to see a young boy, maybe her age playing the most beautiful music she had ever heard. Part of her wondered if he was making it up as he went or if he just knew more songs than she did. Brook really wanted to go ask but her shyness overtook the situation and instead she finished her lunch in the hall and listened to him play.

This went on for about two week. Patrick would sneak into the band room every lunch, playing a new song almost every day. Sometimes there were repeats of ones he liked enough to try and write down but most of that work he did at home. Lunch was meant for free play, at lest that's what he told himself. And Brook would wait until the hall was clear before sitting close to the door so she could eat and listen to him play. That was until the day she found herself caught in a spot she wasn't suppose to be in.

After finishing her lunch Brook sat there with her eyes closed, a small smile on her face as she listened to Patrick play. That was until she heard Marnie and her gang of girls heading up the hall, most likely going back to the choir room for some left behind lip gloss or something. Marnie wasn't Brook's biggest fan and was her biggest competition in class and right now Marnie wasn't to happy. Just earlier that day Brook was given a solo for that months choir show while Marnie's little girl group hadn't gotten a spot.

So as soon as Marnie saw Brook sitting alone the girls were on her like wolves. "Well look at what we've got here girls," she said, a sly smirk resting on her face as her hands rested on her hips. "Looks like little kiss ass Brook Withers has no friends to hang out with. Is this what you've been doing since you got here, sleeping in the hall? How gross can you get, don't you know how dirty those floors are?" The other snickered as Brook just looked up at them, holding her breath. She didn't know what to say, she just wished they'd go away.

"Some star you are, such a loner and girls, look at that hair and those glasses. Makes me wonder how many times you had to suck Mr. Waters dick to get that solo," Marnie said, her foot tapping on the floor now.

Brook got to her feet quickly, her face a bright red. "I did no such thing, I got that solo fair and square," she chimed in, trying not to shake as she stood her ground.

"Oh, so does that mean you're a virgin?" One of the others asked, which of course just made Brook blush more. "Oh, you are! That is so lame, I bet you haven't even kissed a boy."

Brook stood there, cornered as they started chanting, "Virgin, virgin, virgin," at her. All the while Patrick's own little bubble was popped as he heard the voices drift into the band room. He stopped playing and listened for a moment, frowning deeply as he saw this pack of girls bulling a girl he'd never seen before. He saw Marnie and rolled his eyes. He should of guessed because everyone new Marnie. The most popular girl in school, dominating in choir, dance and theater. He always thought someone needed to kick her off her high horse though.

Not able to watch the bulling of the other he made his way to the door. Patrick was never one to really get involved but the whole conversation he had overheard was ridiculous. "There you are, I've been waiting for you to come find me after lunch," he said towards Brook who looked slightly confused. "Hello Marnie, how positively evil you look today. If you don't mind, I've been waiting for my friend here to come help me on a piece. So I suggest you leave since you know I'm the only one allowed in the building during lunch. Well me and one guest that is." Patrick took a hold of Brook's hand and pulled her into the room then pulled down the shade to cover the window.

Each girl had their own shocked and confused look on their face and Patrick knew Marnie wouldn't take this laying down. But for now the situation seemed handled and that's what mattered. Patrick turned his attention to Brook who looked at him with glassy eyes, not sure what to make of everything. "Are you alright?" he asked.

After a moment Brook nodded and rubbed her eyes before taking a deep breath. "Yeah, I'm fine.... thank you for that. I really needed saving," she said, not even believing that she was talking to the boy she had been spying on for the last two weeks.

"I'm Patrick by the way, I could see you needed saving. Marnie can be rather vicious if you're not one of her worshipers," he said with a shrug.

"You didn't seem to have any problem standing up to her though."

"Yeah well, I've known her since grade school and know a handful of embarrassing stories that could really wound her, so she doesn't bother me much. So what's your name?"

"Brook, Brook Withers.... I um.... I've been listening to you play, you're really good."

Patrick just smiled at Brook and nodded. "I know. You should of come in. It wouldn't hurt to have a pretty girl listening to me play every once in awhile."

Brook smiled and looked away. It was in that moment that she knew she had gained a friend. She didn't know how close they would be or even if they'd be friends long. But for now, she had a place and she wasn't going to be alone. Patrick always liked his alone time at lunch but if he could give Brook a place to feel comfortable he really didn't mind sharing his space.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first story I've written on here and it's also the first I've done in a long time. Comments are welcome and I hope to have the second chapter up later this week.