Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

First date

In the morning Brook told her parents about the date and how Patrick had asked her to be his girlfriend. For about an hour they debated whether Brook was really old enough to date but after a little back up from her mom, she got their blessing. It wasn't hard since they knew Patrick was a good guy and thanks to him their daughter was really growing out of that shell she had put around herself so long ago.

Patrick had texted her not long after she had finished breakfast, telling her he'd pick her up at noon. His excuse being that since they both had curfews he thought getting an early start would give them more time to hang out. Brook of course found this perfectly acceptable since more time with Patrick was always a good thing in her book.

When noon finally rolled around Brook had tried on five different pairs of jeans, four different skirts and two pairs of shorts before finally picking an outfit that was not only good for the weather outside but functional for any activity he had planned. She wasn't really sure what Patrick had in mind, seeing as they spent most of their time in the music room or his bedroom. But she knew it would be great because she was with him. Brook couldn't really remember becoming a hopeless romantic but Patrick really had turned her into one.

Brook had just started heading downstairs when the door bell rang. She smiled, yelling to her parents that she'd get it before opening the door to find Patrick standing there with a bundle of flowers. The gesture surprised her but they made her smile as she took them from him to smell.

"Thank you, these are beautiful," she said softly. "It even has my favorites." Pointing at the lilies before stepping aside to let him in.

"I'm glad you like them," he said, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I wasn't sure what kind to get so I just got the mixed flowers. Are you ready to head out? My parents gave me permission to drive the car because where we're going is a little bit of a drive. Not to far though."

As if on queue, her parents joined them in the front entry. "So Patrick, what do you two have planned today?" Her Father asked as her Mother kindly took the flowers to be put in water. Brook just stood there, looking a little embarrassed, not wanting to waist to much of their time in doorway of her house.

"I don't mean to sound cheeky but I kind of wanted it to be a surprise," Patrick said, nodding to Brook. "But I can promise it's an activity that's very public and my sister might even show up to it with her boyfriend."

Brook's Father didn't look to happy about his answer but before he could open his mouth to complain her Mother was there telling them to go and have fun. Telling her husband they could trust their daughter once a door was between them and the kids.

Patrick sweetly held Brooks hand as he walked her to the car, he even held the door open for her before getting in himself. "Can I be honest, I'm kind of nervous," he said, turning his head to look at her before starting the car.

Letting out a laugh Brook rested her hand on her stomach, shaking her head. "I've been nervous all day. I was just ready to get out of the house and spend time with you," she said. "I'm glad I wasn't the only one feeling that way."

Smiling Patrick took Brook's hand, lacing their fingers together as he drove. It felt nice and actually helped calm Brook's nerves. Patrick had a way of always keeping her calm which was one of the many things she liked about him. They sat in silence for most of the drive, not because they didn't have anything to say but because they were comfortable just being together.

It was about twenty minutes into the drive that Brook realized they were headed downtown. Or at lest it seemed that way before Patrick turned off the highway just before the city, making some twists and turns before coming to a park, parking lot. The place was buzzing with people, some obviously on dates like them, others going for a walk with their children or pets. Some older folks even sat feeding the birds or squirrels. Brook had never actually gone into the city before so this new piece of landscape was exciting to her.

Getting out of the car Patrick held the door for Brook again, grabbing a blanket and a cooler that had been hiding in the trunk of the car. "So, mom might of helped me a bit," he said. "I don't really cook but she made me help."

With a laugh Brook took Patrick's hand, following him happily into the rather large park. After a small walk they came to a small amphitheater where others were also sitting on blankets and eating from picnic baskets. On the stage there was a jazz band, something she knew Patrick really enjoyed.

"Music in the park, it feels fitting," she said as she leaned in to kiss Patrick's cheek. Walking with him to find an open spot for them to lay their blanket down and sit.

It didn't take long before they had their blanket laid out, food resting out before them. Wonderfully made sandwiches, mac and cheese, juice boxes and pudding cups for dessert. Everything was simple but Brook loved every minute of it. Her favorite part, of course, was getting to cuddle up against Patrick as they listened to the band play from their souls.

After eating and another hour of music, they spent their time walking around the park. Spending time on the playground, taking turns pushing each other on the swings. By the end of the day they ended up by a huge pond in the middle of the park, watching the sunset behind the tree line. That was the moment Brook felt a shift in the air. Patrick had turned to look at her, his hand on her cheek, letting his thumb run across it.

"I love you," he said. "I know it might be to soon to say it and I don't expect you to say it back.... but I love you. I have since the day you first came into the music room and I'm really glad I met you." Before Brook had a chance to respond, his lips were on hers. It was even better than the first and even better than the second. Her heart was pounding hard in her chest as she wrapped her arms around his neck, letting her kiss be her response. If he wasn't going to let her use her words, at lest she was going try and show him that she loved him back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry this took so long guys. I know it might feel a little short but with writers block I did my best. I'm really hoping to continue this once the new year starts! Thank you for all the comments and support.