Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

Fun and Games [Part 2]

Patrick and Megan rolled their eyes before heading to towards the living room. Brook and Joe standing back as the siblings said hello to each other and Kevin shared hugs with his parents. Mrs. Stump took the bag of laundry with her towards what Brook could only guess was the laundry room.

"He does that every time," Joe told Brook. "Bursts in like that. It was funny the first few times." He smiled at her before putting a chip in his mouth, then went to say hello to Kevin himself. It was evident that Joe had been around for a long time since it seemed Kevin and him had their own secret handshake.

But of course, Brook couldn't blend into the background for too long. Kevin noticed her off in the corner and beamed at her. "Patrick, is this your girlfriend you've been telling me about? Brook is it?" he asked. This of course made both Brook and Patrick turn a bright red color.

"I'm just a girl, that is Patrick's friend," she said, wanting so badly to hide the look on her face. Before she knew it Patrick was at her side, his hand on her back trying to keep her calm. Even though it had been a few weeks he already knew how to counteract those feelings of doubt she easily got.

"Well I'm sure that will change eventually," Kevin said with a wink. Patrick's other hand reached out to punch his brother before leaping forward to tackle him. "Shut up Kevin!" Patrick's own embarrassment starting to show. "She's just my friend, now stop embarrassing me."

"Boys, boys stop that! Not in front of our new guest," Their Mother said finally coming back out of the back room. "Kevin go get some food, your meals at school don't look like they've been enough. Patrick, why don't you show Brook your room and Joe will help your Father set up the game."

The boys pulled apart saying, "Yes Mom," in sync before doing as they were told. Patrick took Brook's hand and led her towards the back hallways that led to the bedrooms. There were six doors making Brook realize the place was much bigger than it seemed in the front. Patrick smiled back at Brook as he pointed out the bathroom and then nodded towards his door.

"This one's mine. It's not anything impressive if I'm honest," he said. Opening his door Patrick's room was a normal size but the drum kit and the standing keyboard made it look much smaller. "You play the drums too?" she asked only ever seeing him play the piano. "Yep, that and guitar." Patrick pointed out the guitar stand that was hidden behind the drum kit.

"I wish I was as amazing as you. I can only sing and I'm only kind of good at that," she said. Her eyes darting around the room, thinking it was a little to clean to be a boys room. Then again he had known guests were coming so maybe he had cleaned it. Or maybe he was just one of those kids that actually did keep things clean.

"That's not what I hear. You're really good Brook, why else would you of gotten the solo for next weeks show?" he asked. "Plus I've heard you... I was there the day he gave it to you. I was in the hall going to drop something off to Mrs. Bell."

Blushing Brook looked down at her feet and shook her head. "I don't know about that.... I might give up the solo. He's been asking me for weeks to pick a song and I still haven't. I just don't know if I could sing in front of everyone by myself. I don't have a track or anything. It's like he picked me to fail."

Patrick frowned at this, he couldn't believe what he was hearing. Even with no one other than Marnie beating Brook up these days, she was still so hard on herself. He wondered if she could even see the way he looked at her. "Well... you know, I could help you solve that issue. Mr. Water's likes live music better, I could play for you while you sing. That way you're not up there by yourself. You'd have me."

Looking over at Patrick with wide eyes she couldn't believe he just suggested that. Her heart bouncing in her chest as she figured out what to say. "I.... I... well, it would make it easier, having you there with me," she said honestly. "But I still don't know. You've played for me but we've never really worked together on anything."

Walking over Patrick placed his hands on her shoulders. "It's going to be easy, I promise. We can practice during lunch and you'll blow everyone away with how amazing you are," he said smiling at her. "They'll see what I see." Patrick looked Brook in the eyes, his wide smile making her melt. Something was different though, it was like there was some sort of shift in the air. Brook had hardly noticed that he was leaning closer now.

"Hey guys, come on, the games set up!" Joe said bursting into the room. It was then, when Patrick pulled away, that Brook realized how close he really had been to her. She wondered what would of happened if Joe hadn't walked in but the thought was short lived as she rushed out of his room and towards the living room.

------------

Patrick really hadn't been kidding when he said his family had a full out game day. Between snacks and chatter they played charades, outburst and even some table top game she had never heard of before. To relax things a bit they played phase ten after ordering a pizza for dinner and the hours seems to drift away easily.

Brook really liked Patrick's family. They seemed nice and always seemed happy. Through the night she would often look at Patrick. The way he laughed with his siblings made her a little jealous but she knew that was a feeling she should throw away. It was no one's fault that she was alone. And it must of been too evident that she was watching Patrick because when she went to get another slice of pizza Megan followed her.

"So, do you like him?" Megan asked, moving behind her before stopping on her left side.

"Who? Patrick? Yeah, he's great. He's the best friend I've ever had," Brook said putting some chips on her plate as well.

"I know that, Patrick's a people person. But do you... you know, like like him? I saw the way you were looking at him" she said. "Because it's kind of annoying how much he talks about you. It's like since he met you he actually talks about stuff other than music and baseball."

Brook blushed and looked away from Megan. "I... I don't know. He's nice but.... I guess I've just never thought like that. Are you sure he likes me like that? He might just think I'm interesting or something." With a shrug she poked at her pizza wishing she could escape this conversation.

"Think what you want Brook but a sister always knows. But I will say this, be careful. He's a strong guy but he's got a big heart. So if you break it.... well I'm sure you can figure it out on your own." Megan looked at Brook seriously for a moment before her face changed to a big smile and she patted Brook's shoulder. "See you back out there."

Standing there for a long moment, Brook wasn't sure how to process the situation. Patrick had a crush on her? Megan had to be lying, they were just friends. She wasn't good enough to get a guy like Patrick that way, she knew that and others liked to remind her of that daily.

Brook didn't realize how long she had been standing there till Patrick came in, wondering what was keeping her. "Are you alright?" Patrick asked, his hand on her back again. "Have you been crying?"

Looking at him confused Brook touched her face and felt the stream of tears that had streaked her cheeks. How did she not even notice that she had been crying? "I..... I don't know why," she said softly.

Gently Patrick wrapped his arms around Brook and pulled her to him. She rested her head on his shoulder and sniffled. "Your family is amazing Patrick, I wish I had siblings like you do. And you just.... I don't get it. I've never understood why people have hated me so much then you swoop in and make me do a 180. You'd think I'd feel better and when I'm with you I do.... But I just can't wrap my head around why. Why is it that I'm not good enough for the world but I'm good enough to the most amazing person in it," she said, her own arms wrapped around him now.

Frowning Patrick rubbed her back and sighed. "You're not really making sense Brook but if I kind of get what your saying then..... it only takes one person," he said softly. "It only takes one to make a change and why wouldn't you be good enough? You're beautiful and funny. You love music and you put up with me. Trust me there are times where I want to be an only child like you. The world isn't perfect but I know there is no one I'd rather be facing it with than you... and Joe of course."

Brook couldn't help but laugh, even when being seriously he found a way to make her crack up. Patrick was glad to hear her laugh, it was one of his favorite sounds. "Now come on, you'll be on my team for this last game and then my dad and I will drive you home okay?"

Nodding Brook was sad to know the night was almost over but she was thankful she came. Thankful to Patrick for inviting her. She didn't want the night to end but at lest she figured she could hold onto the feeling she had right then. At lest until Monday.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked part two of this chapter! I'm hoping to have the next chapter up sometime this weekend. Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment!!