Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

It's only just begun

Waking up Brook turned her head and smiled, seeing Patrick still laying with her. While she had accidentally lied to her Mother about sharing his room, nothing other than the kiss happened. She even swore she could still feel her lips tingling from it. He looked so peaceful and happy in his sleep, she could even feel his arms holding her around the middle. It was a nice and comfortable feeling, caring about someone like this. It felt like she could do anything when she had him around.

Scooting closer to him she kissed him softly. Smiling as she felt him kiss back, his arms holding her tighter. When she pulled back she saw his eyes open and a smile form on his face. "Good morning," he said softly. "Looks like we lied.... but it was worth it."

Laughing softly Brook rolled her eyes as she hit his shoulder lightly. "We should get up," she said softly. "We've only got a few hours to finish everything and get to school. I just hope last night was enough to be good enough."

Carefully Patrick sat up and Brook followed suite. "Last night was enough.... at lest for me... I mean not only did I get to hear you sing.... but I got to do what I've wanted to do for weeks now." Reaching over he took Brook's hand and she smiled, blushing lightly.

"Weeks hu? I would of never guessed if everyone else hadn't told me to be honest," she said. "I've never.... well that was probably obvious."

Nodding Patrick smiled and squeezed her hand. "Neither have I," he said before stealing one more kiss. "Now come on, lets get breakfast and practice a bit more before we have to shower and get to school."

--------
If i asked you for good news
would you smile and turn away
its like a bad dream that is too afraid to wake

--------

When the two got to school later they went straight to Mr. Waters office and played their song. They made sure that Marnie or one of her girls wasn't around. Even though she couldn't steal this song, they didn't want to risk any other setbacks. To their joy Mr. Waters seemed to enjoy the song, even said it was good enough to open but told them he had already chosen the opening song.

They didn't care at that point though, they had each other and they felt like they had accomplished what they set out to do. Even if they hadn't officially beaten Marnie, Brook knew they were going to steal the show. At lest that's what her confidence told her.

Not long after their talk with Mr. Water, the other students started to show up. Brook and Patrick in a corner of the room, just waiting for the show to get closer. To Brook's surprise people even came and sat with them. Patrick played his guitar and people sang along, they even asked Brook to join them. She even got invited to the after party that everyone seemed to talk about.

It wasn't much of a high school party. It was mostly the students going to the 24 hour Deny's after the show. But the fact that she was invited made her excited. Patrick said he would go too, even if he wasn't one of the choir kids. He told them he didn't want to leave his girlfriend so soon after her first show. Which got quiet a few smiles from the other girls.

Everything was really looking up until Marnie walked in, smug as ever with three of her girls following closely behind her. "Mr. Waters just told me that I'm going to be opening the show," she said. "And we all know that only seniors get the closing spot. So I guess I win.."

"But aren't you a senior Marnie? You weren't good enough to close?" he asked, a few of the other kids laughing.

"So? I'd rather open anyways, why would I want to make people wait to see the best song their going to see tonight for the end?" she asked before turning her nose up and walking away.

Patrick and Brook bother rolled their eyes. "I'm starting to realize she's going to be one of those girls who peeks in high school. Nothing else is ever going to compare to how good she had it here," Brook said with a nod.

"You're probably right. But regardless of what our spot is, we're still going to be better than her," Patrick said. Mr. Waters walked out of his office, clapping his hands to get everyone's attention. Which everyone seemed to give him except for Marnie who was playing with her hair.

"Alright kids, like always it's an hour before the show and I'm sure you want to know who will be closing," he said. "After a lot of thought I've decided..........."

--------
there are many among us
and we're changing all the time
maybe the same old fears what have we here
don't bring me down with you

--------

Walking out on stage, Brook wanted nothing more than to be holding Patrick's hand. But she knew she couldn't because he not only carried his guitar but a stool as well. The lights were bright, almost blinding but she could tell the place was packed. She had noticed during the songs she had done with the choir really. But now the show was ending and they were the ones ending it.

Her heart was racing as she looked at Patrick she could see Marnie in the wings looking pissed behind him. But as she focused back on Patrick she could see him smile at her and it was all she needed to feel good about everything.

"Thank you all for being here tonight. This song is called youth," she said, taking hold of the mic. Nodding to Patrick for his cue to start.

"They didn't warn me, when I was running wild. The dragons breathing fire in the backyard at night......"

Pouring her heart out into the song, her body seemed to move on it's own. Clapping her hand to her hip to keep the beat as she laid it all out for everyone to hear. It felt like no time at all when the song had ended. Patrick taking her hand and having her bow to the cheers of the audience. They liked it and for the first time in Brook's life, things really did seem like they were getting better.

--------
now I'm just chasing time
with a thousand dreams I'm holding heavy
and as we cross the line these fading beats have all been severed
don't tell me our youth is running out
Its only just begun

--------
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this chapter was later than I said it would be. Life got in the way. But I hope you all enjoy it anyways :)