Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

One Step Behind

It had been a few weeks since the choir show and not a lot had changed. Brook still spent lunch with Patrick in the band room and Marnie was still a bitch towards her but there was one big change. Brook had confidence, not just in herself but others as well. Her new attitude towards things really helped her shine and make friends with others from her class. Of course Marnie hated this, she wanted nothing more than to get her pay back on Brook for stealing the closing spot from her but everything she had tried since the show hadn't worked. Or really her lackeys were just to stupid to pull her plans off. Brook and Patrick of course, just ignored the attempts, enjoying writing music together. Something they seemed to be doing more often since the show.

Patrick would play the guitar, the piano and even sometimes the drums while Brook wrote lyrics she thought they could use. Though anything that sounded to much like a love song that she was writing about him she kept out of the mix. Those were personal and she wasn't ready for him to see her writings about that.

Most days after school Brook would go over to Patrick's house to either listen to music, play games or even hang out. He was often invited to her place by Brook's parents but since Joe would often come hang out as well, Brook liked being at Patrick's. The three of them would have lots of fun playing video games or watching movies until both Joe and Brook had to go home. It made Brook look forward to summer break since she already knew they'd probably all just be spending time at Patrick's. It was something to look forward to.

One day after school Brook and Patrick were playing some race game on his PlayStation when she realized it had passed the time Joe normally joined them. "Isn't Joe coming today?" she asked looking over at Patrick. His cheeks turning a light shade of pink before he coughed.

"Um, no... I asked him not to. I wanted to talk to you actually," he said, pausing the game. Running his hand through his hair he looked at Brook before looking down at his lap.

"What is it? Is everything okay?" She asked, worried now that there was something he wasn't telling her. Was he moving, did he not like her anymore?

"Do you.... still like me?" he asked shyly, looking back up again.

Brook looked at Patrick confused, tilting her head to look at him. "Of course I do. I wouldn't be around you all the time if I didn't," she said.

"No, I mean like like," he said. "It's been a few weeks since we kissed, you know? And I guess I should of asked you then but after the show everything got crazy and I lost my nerve. Brook, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

It was Brook's turn to blush and look away. Since they had kissed she had figured they had been going out. They spent every day together and he walked her to class. She thought they had just gone into it without saying it. But she guessed it was better to be on the same page.

"I thought we already were," she said honestly. "I thought that's what you had meant when you kissed me in the first place." Giving him a warm smile she took his hand and squeezed it lightly, surprised to find him leaning in to kiss her. Brook didn't object though, she gladly excepted it. Kissing him back happily.

"If I had known you felt that way I would of kissed you again a lot sooner," Patrick said, laughing softly.

"Yeah well, I suppose I should of just done it myself but you were always talking," she teased.

They laughed and Patrick took the game off pause, then Brook beating him that round. This was the first time they had hung out together without Joe around since the show. It was nice to just be them, having fun and not worrying about anything else. Brook felt like she was on cloud nine. Not only did she have friends but now she had an amazing Boyfriend who actually cared about her mind. He saw her when no one else did and that meant a lot to her.

Since it was Friday night his parents invited her to stay for dinner and they even let Patrick drive her home. When he walked her to the door he held her hand and she could tell her parents were watching. They were being sneaky but they were watching none the less. Kissing her cheek at the doorstep Patrick looked at her for a moment. "Go out with me tomorrow? On a date? I'll make it special, I promise," he said.

Brook smiled, not caring if her parents saw and kissed him. "Of course, I'll be ready and waiting."

With one last tight hug Brook let Patrick go, watching him drive off down the street. Going inside she raced to her room and locked the door. She would tell her parents later but right now, all she wanted to do was day dream.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I think I finally figured out where I'm going to take this story. So please enjoy, comment and leave some love if you'd like me to continue :)