Status: Active- writers block

Can't Lose You

Chapter 10- Little Whippet

When I woke up I was laying on the sofa in the main meeting room. A guy was crouching next to me takin my blood pressure, Leland was standing at the back of the sofa looking down at me and the rest of the team were spread out around the room.
"Hello Jess, I'm Josh a paramedic, can you tell me what happened?" I moved my arm so it was covering my face as I tried to think but it was hard to focus with the thing on my arm getting tighter.
"I-I was in Beth's office talking and I went to leave, but I don't remember leaving the room" I looked at Beth who was standing next to Dog who had his arm around her shoulders and I could tell she had been crying.
"And how was you feeling? Did you feel dizzy at all?"
"I uh felt a bit light headed, but I just put it down to being tired"
When I looked up and Leland we looked pale, scared even, and I just hoped it wasn't because of me.
"Do you feel well enough to sit up?" Leland helped me as I sat up straight and he came round and sat down next to me.
"When was the last time to ate?" Thinking about it, I was extremely hungry; I hadn't eaten all day.
"Yesterday"
Josh started nodding and let out a playful tut.
"That explains it, you need to make sure you eat. Especially in your line of work, always running after people" he finally took the blood pressure thing off my arm and packed all his things up.
"Eat, rest and you'll be fine"
Beth and Dog went with him to show him out and when they came back they joined us all by sitting down in the meeting room.

~

Beth had got Duane Lee to pop to the shop and buy me and sandwich and a bag of chips, which I rather enjoyed demolishing. When I had finished everyone was looking at me but no-one spoke.
"So who we going after next?" I asked deciding to get straight back to work.
"You aren't going after anyone!" Leland replied in a stern and authoritative tone.
"Lelands right sweetheart, you should go home and get some rest" Dog said as he stuck me a mugshot of the next fugitive.
"No way! I've followed all the doctors orders. He said eat, I have. He said rest, I'm been sitting down for nearly and hour and ill rest in the car on the way" Everyone looked at me before looking round at eachother, Leland however just kept his eyes fixed on me.
" Are you sure Jess?" Beth eventually asked once they were all done exchanging looks. I just nodded and Dog started the briefing.

Taking in what just happened Dog and Beth decided I could ride in the same car as Leland and he wanted to keep an eye on me. Beth was driving as I sat in the middle next to Leland with his arm wrapped around me and hand on my knee.
"You should stay in the car, it's a guy so I'm sure we can handle it"
I sat up and looked at him.
"What if he runs? You might not be able to catch him" I said whilst smirking at him and I overheard Beth laugh a little too.
"That's it, me and you are having a race. I know I'm faster" he says looking out the window and shaking his head.
"Tomorrow you two, today we work then rest" Beth informs us as we approach the house.

~

It's approaching race time and Duane Lee has been taking everyone bets. Just as I'm about to take to the make-shift starting line Duane Lee takes me aside to let me know that Leland is favourite to win, that's all the ammunition I needed to hear. Beth lines us up and Duane Lee gets ready to take a photo finish.
"Babe, please forgive me when I whip your ass" Leland says sounding overly confident.
"Ha see that's funny; cause in order to whip my ass, you have to catch me first" I flash him a cheeky grin and quickly focus back to the end of our running distance.
"Ready, get set, go!" Beth calls.
I'm off with Leland who's just infront of me. 'I've got to win! I've got to win!'. By some miracle I pass him and he doesn't past me until I've come to a stop past the imaginary finishing line.
"Yeaahh sistha! Woo" Beth yells walking towards me and wrapping her arms around me. Duane Lee and Dog are talking to Leland and when Beth lets me go I decide to talk to him.
"Hey" I say wrapping my arms around his neck and he responds by wrapping his round my waist pulling me into him.
"So I may not have been able to catch you. But I'm still hoping to whip ya later, my little whippet" he kisses me and we reluctantly let each other go when Dog summonds us inside.