Status: Active- writers block

Can't Lose You

Chapter 7- Quick reactions

Leland spent the night round mine last night, but we didnt have time for a nice lay in on our anniversary as Dog needed us immediately for a double bust... two brothers. No sooner then walking through the door we was straight back out again and gearing up. Leland was running through how to use a mace can even though he's told me a million times before, but this time he seemed on edge.

"Leland calm down I know what I'm doing" I say laughing and wrapping my arms around his neck.
"I know it's just these guys are seriously strong" he says putting his arms around my waist, holding me close.
"Good thing you're stronger"
"Did you not listen to anything my dad was saying? Brothers, meaning two" I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist and he quickly puts his hands under my bum holding me up.
"What are doing?" He says looking at me and laughing.
"Building up these muscles of yours" It wasn't long until Dog was telling us all to load up and I made Leland carry me to my car. Before he put me down he gave me a kiss and tight squeeze.

The first house we checked was the mothers house. We all took our positions, Duane Lee at the back, Dog,Beth and Leland up front and me covering the side. Dogs nephew Justin came with us so he covered the other side. Not that it mattered, they weren't there, but she did tell us that they stayed at their uncles. It was about 30minute drive to the uncles house and as we pulled up we all re-took our positions. I could hear banging and shouting but nothing over the radios which I found unusual. I saw our fugitives moving around in one of the bedrooms but I couldn't radio it through so I decided to run to the front of the house to confirm they were there. Just as I was about to shout out to Leland I saw two guys jump out the window and run.

"They're running!" I immediately turned and chased after them, surprised at my own speed. I wasn't far behind them when I grabbed my mace can ready incase they turned around, which they did. The first one spun round swinging him arm but I ducked and didn't give the second one a chance to react, I sprayed them both directly in the face. Within a few seconds Leland and Justin had one each on the ground, closely followed by Duane Lee and Dog. I step away from the action and lean up against a wall coughing from both the mace and trying to catch my breath.
"Jess you ok?" Beth asked coming up behind me rubbing my back.
"Yeah-I'm-fine" I say between coughs.
"I never realised how fast you are sistah! Even Leland couldn't catch up with you" I look up at Leland and smile but he completely ignored me. Once he put the brother he had in the car I go over to him.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask as he leans up against the back of the SUV.
"How could you be so stupid!?" He snaps at me.
"Excuse me?" I ask slightly raising my voice.
"How fucking dumb to you have to be to go chasing over two guys twice your size! You ain't some kind of superwoman so stop acting like one!" He said even louder then me. He was really starting to piss me off and there was no chance I was just going to walk away now.
"Have you seen this?" I asked showing him my badge.
"It's the same one you have round you neck. We do the exact same job! You chase after people who are bigger then you so why the fuck can't I!? You think I can't handle myself is that it? Or is it cause I caught up with them while you lagged behind? Can't accept the fact I took your spotlight"
"Hey hey Jess just calm down" Duance Lee puts his arm in front of me pushing me back.
"No come on Jess, anything else you wana add?" Duane Lee doesn't let me answer, he just starts taking me to the other car while Dog talks to Leland.

"Get off me Duane!" I say pulling my arm out of his grasp.
"Ok jeez, take it easy" I get in the car and slam the down shut behind me. Justin brings the other brother over and sits him inbetween them.
"Hey babe, trouble in paradise?" I look in my rear view mirror as the fugitive gives me a sarcastic grin and the way I'm feeling I could easily pull over a swing for him. Luckily for him Duane Lee catches my attention and shakes his head; his way of telling me to not react. When we pull up at the jail Duane Lee and Leland escort the brothers inside whilst I stay in the car and spot Beth making her way towards my window which is conveniently already down.

"What the hell happened?" I shake my head not fully understanding myself.
"He just started saying I was dumb and stupid for doing my job"
"Why would he do that?" I start laughing at the irony.
"I've been trying to figure that out since it happened"
"If it makes you feel any better I can tell he's upset"
"Surprisingly it doesn't, today's our 3month anniversary and what a way to spend it" I say sarcastically.
"Ohh no, you can't spend the rest of the day like this" Just then Leland and Duane Lee come back out. Beth opens the door and grabs my hand pulling me out the car.
"Everyone back in the vehicles, except you Leland!" She practically throws me at him, so much so that he actually grabbed me to stop me falling over but I quickly moved away from him.
"We're going home in one car, you don't come back till you've worked this out. 3months it a long time in my eyes" she walks back to the car and before we know it it's just us standing outside the jail.

"So" Leland says filling the silence. I don't even make eye contact, I sit on top of the railings looking down at his feet.
"Jess I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gone off at you like that"
"You shouldn't have gone off at me at all" I say finally bringing myself to look at him.
"I know" he says taking a step closer and reaching for my hand but I pull it back.
"Do you really think I'm so pathetic, that I can't even handle spraying mace in two guys faces?"
"No of course I don't!" He says coming even closer.
"Then why call me dumb and stupid!"
"Last thing I saw was two big guys closely followed by you and I knew I wouldn't be able to catch up. I didn't know what I was gonna do if they grabbed you or something, and one of them swung for you"
"But he didn't even touch me! I maced him down before he could, in fact both of them. Me, I did that on my own... I know what I'm doing Leland" now he was standing in between my legs resting his forehead against mine.
"I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact you don't need me to protect you"
"Well you're gonna have to because if you can't...T-then I don't see how we can go on like this" he quickly lifts his head up as do I, his expression looking shocked and upset. He shakes his head in disbelief.