‹ Prequel: Brontide

Acrasia

Him

The place where they would elope was a bit crowded, and there was a waiting room they had to sit in until it was their turn to go. Jeremy had insisted on buying Chris a white button up and slacks, and Rae a pretty white cocktail dress. Marissa had helped with rings, and while Chris had a simple gold band for himself he picked out a beautiful glimmering diamond ring for Rae.

Marissa had helped him pick the ring, and Chris took her advice when it came to "girl needs". She didn't speak to him about what was going on at home or with the organization, and if Chris hinted it she would quickly change the topic. She was cold towards Rae, but didn't lash out for the sake of her brother. After awkwardly sitting in the waiting room in silence, she finally cleared her throat and stood up, smoothing out her blond hair that had been pulled back into a curly ponytail. It was the first time Chris noticed how modestly dressed she was. Her navy blue dress came down to her knees, and her cleavage was completely covered unlike usual. Her makeup wasn't quite so dramatic, and more natural. Chris felt a stab of guilt, realizing that his sister was likely still in mourning over George.

"Girl time," Marissa announced, holding out her hand.

Rae took it slowly, standing up and following Marissa to the ladies room. There was one other woman in there doing her makeup, but Marissa gave her a cold look that made her rush off. Marissa waited until she was gone before turning back to Rae and looking her up and down.

"Hi," Rae said, awkwardly shifting in her spot.

"You still have time to run, you know," Marissa said softly. "You can get yourself out of this mess without a scratch. Thanks to me, there's no record that says you've ever committed a crime."

"You did that?" Rae's expression turned surprised for a moment, before hardening again. "But I'm not going anywhere."

"That's what I thought," Marissa sighed. "You really love my brother, don't you?"

"He's a huge pain in the ass, but yeah," Rae answered confidently.

"Well I've spoken now," Marissa shrugged, a hint of a smile on her face, "So I guess this is the part where I forever hold my peace."

Rae looked down at her feet, and the two girls stood in awkward silence for another few moments.

"I forgive you, though," Marissa finally spoke up.

"Forgive me for what?" Rae asked, confused.

"Single-handily ruining my life," Marissa smirked. "Taking my brother and only friend away from me, killing my boyfriend... I know it was in self-defense, but that's all anyone can really see. They never show what happens after the superhero saves the day and all. The funerals, the aftermath. No one really cares."

Rae frowned, looking at Marissa.

"I'm sorry," she said softly.

"Don't be," Marissa quickly added. "You've got some redeeming qualities too. I can't blame you for killing George, but you did save my brother's life. Ruined it, maybe, but at least he's alive. So I guess we're at peace. I forgive you."

"Thank you," Rae said, smiling slightly. "Does this mean we're friends now?"

"Not even close. More like in-laws that act friendly but secretly can't stand the other," Marissa smirked, batting her eyelashes.

"Sounds good to me, sis," Rae smiled, rolling her eyes.

"Look," Marissa sighed, "I pulled you back here for something completely different. It's important that you listen closely, okay?"

"Oh?"

"Consider this a wedding gift," Marissa pulled an envelope out of her purse, handing it to Rae. Inside was a checkbook, some papers, and a debit card.

"What's all this?" Rae looked up.

"Your new bank account," Marissa explained. "It's loaded with enough money for you to live a low-key, middle class life. There's also the deed to a small suburban house in LA, which is completely off of anyone's radar. It's one of those houses with the white picket fences and the friendly neighbors and whatnot, and the complete opposite life that Chris likes."

"You bought us a house?" Rae's eyes widened.

"Yeah, a small two-bedroom house in a safe little family-friendly neighborhood," Marissa said, like it wasn't a big deal. "When you guys don't have your hands so full, I think it's for the best if you move in under the names Rachel and Christopher Butler, a newlywed couple who is just starting their new life. Something totally simple, like in the movies. I know a guy that'll give Chris a normal middle-class job, and you guys will be living normal middle-class lives."

"I don't know what to say-"

"Don't say anything," Marissa interrupted, "Just tell me that when all this is over you'll do this, okay?"

"Okay," Rae said breathlessly, sliding the envelope into her own bag.

"And one last thing," Marissa suddenly remembered, "Don't tell Chris until you are sure it's time for you guys to settle down. Otherwise, he'll object. Understand?"

Rae nodded, giving Marissa another smile before pushing out of the bathroom and back into the waiting room. Chris grinned, nodding towards the door.

"It's our turn," he said, taking Rae's hand.

The ceremony was short, but sweet enough to bring a tear to Kid's eye. He protested, claiming it was dust, but Chris knew better. Afterwords, they all celebrated at the Cosmopolitan hotel, having the fanciest dinner they had eaten in ages. Chris squeezed his new wife's hand under the table, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Happy days," he said quietly, playing with Rae's hair.

"They sure are," she grinned, giving him a peck on the lips.

On the other end of the table, Jeremy and Marissa watched the two with big smiles. Marissa picked at the food on her plate, then looked up at Jeremy.

"You were right about them," she told him.

"Aren't I always?" he lit up.

"Thank you for the call," Marissa said in a hushed voice. "And for help finding the house. I never would've been here if you hadn't called me."

Jeremy shrugged, looking at Rae and Chris again.

"I know this is really risky for everyone, but there's the slightest chance shit might actually work out."
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun Fact #12 I think. Right? I don't know...

Rae's diamond ring is the best Chris could find at Cartier, and has his initials engraved on the inside of the band. Rae's initials are on the inside of Chris's ring as well.