‹ Prequel: Brontide

Acrasia

Her

Her

"I'm in deep aren't I?" Britney asked. 

Rae looked at her sadly and grabbed her hand. "Yeah. Yeah you are." Britney's bottom lip trembled. "I'm sorry, Hon. But you know me and Chris are here for you. We'll help you any way we can."

She looked at her with a strained smile. "Thank you.... I already told Tyler."

"How did he handle it?"

She shrugged. "He looked like he was going to hurl and he walked away to go get a drink of water." 

Rae shook her head and the door opened. The doctor came in, a big phony smile on his face. "Mrs. Butler, you're husband is awake," he said. "And I would like to talk to you, Samantha, about your options."

"You good?" Rae asked. Britney nodded and she left. 

Chris was talking to Kid when she went in. Rae frowned at him and sent him to go find Jeremy, who was supposed to be getting them a car from the parking garage so everyone but Chris could spend the night in a motel and then skip town in the morning. 

"Hey," Chris said when Tyler left. He kissed the corner of her mouth. "Why are you limping?"

She smiled lightly at him. "When the truck hit us it got my door. I thought it was fractured, but it's just bruised really deep. I'll be okay."

"I'm glad." He kissed her again before asking "What's up? Everyone's so down."

She took a deep breath and sat on the edge of his bed. She touched a scratch on his arm and sighed. "Kid knocked up Britney."

His eyebrows shot up. "No fuck."

"None at all."

"Shit... Sometimes I forget Kid isn't a twelve year old. That little fuck's almost seventeen. Shit, what are they gonna do? What are we gonna do?"

Rae shrugged and put her head in her hands. "I told her we would help as much as we could. I mean, she's sixteen. She kinda needs us. And Tyler..." She lifted her hands, palms up. 

Chris grabbed her hand. "No, I understand and I would have expected no less." He kissed her knuckles. 

"Will you talk to him?" she asked. 

"I kinda already did..."

She cocked her head to the side. "About why you should wear a condom when you get it on?"

He raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth. "Oh, uhm no. No I didn't."

"Okay well do that."

"Hey, so speaking of..." The corner of his mouth lifted. "You know what we haven't done in a long time?" he whispered huskily. 

Her eyebrows shot up with a mischievous smile, but she shook her head. "No. I am not having sex with you in a hospital. You're hooked up to a heart monitor. No."

He pulled her closer. "C'mon, we just got married. What about our honeymoon?"

"I feel like getting hit by a car filled with assassins and put into the hospital with multiple concussions and a beat up leg doesn't constitute as a legitimate honeymoon."

"So why don't we start it now. I'll be out tomorrow morning--"

"Exactly, and then we can ditch everyone for a couple of hours--"

"Or we could just--"

She cut him off with a laugh. "No, I don't wanna rip out your IV's or something."

"Rae," it was Britney. "Jeremy and Tyler are waiting downstairs."

"Thanks, Hon," she smiled, turning back to Chris. "You be good. We'll be back for you bright and early. Love you."

He kissed her and she stood up to leave. "See you in the morning."

.::.

Rae, Jeremy, Britney and Tyler spent the night in a motel a few blocks from the hospital. Rae didn't sleep much, her mind a torrent of stress and worry. 

For some reason, everything seemed to be catching up with her now. She was worried about her parents and how her parents were taking the fact that their daughter was missing. And Lucy and Marcie, they lost her and Jeremy. And no one knew the truth. Only that they weren't there. They all must be so worried... The thought made her cringe. 

She didn't sleep at all that night. She was thankful when they went to go pick up Chris because it gave her a distraction. And then Chris took shotgun and she was stuck in the back with the awkward future parents and suddenly the only thing she could do was mope and wallow in her immense guilt. So by the time Jeremy pulled them over into a motel parking lot, she was not in the mood to start her honeymoon. 

Her heart sunk involuntarily when Jeremy paid for two rooms with a wink. And then when Tyler and Britney asked them if they could talk, she breathed a quiet sigh of relief. 

"Of course," Rae smiled. 

"What's up?" Chris asked. 

"We've been talking," Britney said quietly. "About the baby."

"And were wondering if you guys would take it," Kid said quickly. 

Chris and Rae said "Uhm what?" at the same time. 

"Listen," Britney said. "We can't raise this kid. And you guys are married now. So... I mean why not, right? But it's all up to you."

"People do it all the time," Kid added. 

Chris looked at Rae and she could have sworn he was halfway hopeful. She looked back at Britney and Kid and then back at Chris. And then she shrugged. 

"I feel like this is a bit nonchalant for, you know, deciding the fate of a baby, but I don't see why not."

"Really?" Chris asked. 

"Really what? I thought you would be against it."

"No, I'm all for it. We talked about kids."

"I know."

"So then yes?"

"Of course."

"Really?" Kid asked. 

Rae looked at Britney. "We'll take your baby."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wha-what?

Fun Fact #Colin

Rae's always seen herself with a big family(: