‹ Prequel: Brontide

Acrasia

Her

"Well that doesn't work on the goblin. Plus, you can't use that spell, anyways. Rae's the Elf, you're human," Kid said like it was the most obvious thing in the world and Chris should be picking this up like simple addition.

They were sitting in the back of the van around a Dungeons and Dragons game set with a lantern turned on so they didn't waste the car battery. Rae was leaning against Chris, who was up against the wall, while Kid sat across floor them. His hair was touseled and he was grinning like an idiot; apparently no one ever let him be Dungeon Master. Rae thought he was pretty much the cutest kid ever. He acted almost like he didn't understand that he was 16. He had the mentality of a 10-year-old.

"That's bullshit, though-" Chris protested.

"Is not. You even rolled the wrong number on the 20-sided dice. You just suck. Don't hate the game. Hate the player."

"Because he's black?- wait didn't you just say that wouldn't work on him?" He was pointing to Rae's character, frowning.

"Well she rolled the right number."

Chris just shook his head. "This game is shit. Whose turn is it?"

Rae smiled. Chris was totally enjoying himself, whether he admitted it or not. She made a mental note to tease him about it later, but really she was just glad his mood was lifting.

Rae watched them play, throwing the dice and moving when she had to. She found she didn't have to be very invested in anything when they got too interested so she could just carry on with her thoughts, mainly about Chris and they would pretty much play for her. But this whole situation was affecting Chris more than he was trying to let on. He walked with a heavy limp and an uncharacteristic hunch in his shoulders. Honestly, this was the straightest she'd seen his spine since he'd woken up in the van that first night. It was really getting to him. No matter what he'd told her about how much he hated that aspect of his life, she was beginning to see how badly it was affecting him to have it taken away so suddenly. And her heart was breaking for him. She just wanted everything to be okay. She wanted to go back. But there was no going back, only going forward. And in order to move forward, she needed to make sure everyone was okay enough.

The game ended about midnight and Rae decided to take the roll as adult tonight by sending Kid to bed.

"But why?" he whined.

"Because it's a school night."

"But I don't go to school."

"Yea well IDGAF, Brohan," she replied, smirking. "Lights out. Chris, we gotta talk outside."

"Aaw man. You're just sending me to bed so you two can make out. Gross."

"Probably," Chris said, hitting the switch on the lantern and closing the van doors behind him. They walked a few yards away before talking so Kid wouldn't hear them. "What's up?" he asked, Leaning her against the edge of a picnic table and putting his hands on either side of her.

"I'm worried about you," Rae started.

"Ditto."

She didn't seem to hear him, or care that he'd said anything. "What can I do to make it better?"

"Make what better?"

She smoothed her hands on his chest. "Don't beat around the bush. You're depressed Chris. I know that your injury is shitty and it's keeping you from being you. And I know that leaving has to have made you a little sad, leaving behind Alex and Marissa--"

"Uhm, what about you Ms. Stone Face?"

She furrowed her brows. "What about me?"

Chris pursed his lips at her. "Don't beat around the bush, Rae. You care way too much about everything around you to show this little emotion on the situation." She looked away but he continued. "You've lost everyone you care about. I mean, granted I lost people, too, but the most important one is standing right here. And Rae, dammit-" he lowered his voice "-Rae, you killed a man."

She queezed her eyes shut, cleching his shirt in her hands. "I know," she whispered. "But I can't think about that right now." She sniffed and wiped some moisture from beneath her eyes.

"Rae, you can't run away from it forever."

"Well I can try." She slid out from underneath him and went back to the van. She paused utside, but he didn't follow, so she got in without him. Kid was still awake as she pulled the blankets up under her chin, she shag carpet scratching her exposed skin.

"Hey, Rae? You okay?" Kid asked.

"Yea, I'm fine."

"Is Chris okay?"

"We'll see. Go to sleep, now."

"Good night."

"Goodnight, Kid. Sweet dreams."

Chris didn't come in for a half hour. Kid was asleep and Rae was half pretending, half actually asleep. He closed the door softly behind him and scooted up next to Rae, pulling her blankets to cover both of them. He leaned, propped up on one elbow for a few minutes, then reached out and brushed dome hair off of her cheek. A moment later he rolled over so they were back to back and fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D Hope you guys enjoy!

Fun fact #2
Rae was actually surprised when Jeremy came out to her because she already thought he was out.