‹ Prequel: Brontide

Acrasia

Her

Britney was sitting against the wall of their new cell, which turns out wasn't much different from their old cell, watching Rae pace. It was something that she had been doing off and on for hours, and Britney was getting really annoyed with it. She prepped herself to say something like how Rae just really needed to sit down, when she did sit down. Rae dropped to the floor with a small huff of breath, and dropped her head in her hands.

She watched Rae for a second, having witnessed this many times as a prelude to a hysterical breakdown. Rae didn't do anything to hint at the possibility of one, but Britney still prepped herself for it. Rae kept her face hidden for at least two minutes, before looking up at Britney. The only sign that she possessed any emotion right then was a reddish flush to her face.

"Can I tell you something?" she said. Britney nodded slowly, and Rae took a deep breath. "I'm terrified. If we don't get out of here... I don;t know what we're going to do; I don't know what we can do. And not just for us. If this guy does what he says he's gonna do, itll be more than just a glorified gang war. AQnd what if you have the baby in here? We can't raise a kid in here."

Britney frowned. "I'm scared, too," she said. Rae scooted over and put an arm around the girl's shoulders.

Rae had always sort of been able to see her plan for the future. Before all of this, it was get married and a have a house and a horse and a kid and a white picket fence. Then it was run, and then settle down with Chris and the baby and maybe Kid and Britney and Jeremy if it all worked out like that. But now, all she could see was four grey walls, and never talking to Chris or Jeremy or Kid or her mom ever again. There was no hope at all, and it was killing her.

Britney was wallowing in her own despair when there was a loud bang from above them. Rae stood up and looked into the air vent on the other side of the room. There was the sound of fabric against metal and a flash of red and white, and then there was nothing. What she didn't know at the time, was it was Kid's show she had seen through the vent.

.::.::.

The door opened and the guard from before, Brandon, put a tray on the bench against the wall opposite the door. Rae watched him with her hands clasped together until she couldn't take it and hurriedly whispered, asking him if he had had a chance to talk to Chris yet, but he just ignored her and closed the door, locking it with a metallic rattle.

Britney and Rae frowned at each other, but Rae just shrugged understanding that he may have been under observation. She went over to the tray and removed the seemingly over-formal lid from a plate of sandwiches. Tucked between the two sandwiches was a piece of paper with two lines of Chris's handwriting on it.

sent kid for help
don't worry love you stay safe


Rae read it for a few minutes without showing it to Britney, who kept asking what it was. She waved her hand and read it over one more time before handing it to Britney. She looked at Rae.

"What is this supposed to mean?"

Rae shrugged. "Fuck if I know... Goddamn why does he have to be so goddamn cryptic motherfucking spies goddamn."

She banged on the door for a solid ten minutes until a guard came, but it wasn't her guard, so she said nevermind and continued pounding. A half hour and two sore fists later, Brandon opened the door and stepped in, sliding it shut behind him.

"What?" he said with exasperation.

Rae held up the note, which had been turned into a crinkled ball since she had gotten it, and began to tell him that she needed a pen for a reply, but he was already holding one out for her. She rolled her eyes and took it from him, then scribbled her own message on the back of the paper. He took it and the pen from her and slid them into his boot, then left without a word.

"What a friendly guy," Rae muttered. She was annoyed and a little bit pissed off and still hopeless.

Knowing that one of them wouldn't live to see the end of the week probably would not have made it any better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun Fact # Ed as in Ed Sheeran because I'm listening to him

I suck and I know it and I promise I'll do better. Maybe.