‹ Prequel: Brontide

Acrasia

Him

"I'm sorry sir, we're going to have to ask you and your friends to please leave."

Chris widened his eyes, pouting at the annoyed management of the casino he was in. He had met some people upon his arrival to Las Vegas, and the odd crew had been a rather rowdy crowd. They called themselves "team dynamite", and were made up of Chris, a teenage girl named Britney, two motorcycle gang rejects named Bruce and Kyle, and an amateur gay pornstar named Theo. Somewhere along the way they had obtained laced candy, making the Las Vegas strip just that much more exciting than it was before.

"Come on, please?" Chris frowned, reaching out to touch the man's face. "You have a really nice beard. How did you get purple eyes?"

"Sir, you need to leave," the man flinched. "And my eyes aren't purple. Please leave before I call the police, since you did bring an underage girl to a casino."

"Britney is sober," Kyle piped up. "We have morals, you know!"

"Okay, okay," Britney huffed, tugging at Chris's arm and brushing her bangs out of her face.

"Whatever," Theo snapped, "We'll take our business elsewhere."

"But we have nothing to bet," Bryce whispered.

Chris shushed him, leading the group out onto the streets, laughing like maniacs. They were all a group of misfits. Britney was sixteen years old, and had been disowned by her family after she had a pregnancy scare with her married teacher. She claimed that he had manipulated her into doing it, but it ended in her becoming homeless in the end. Theo was obsessed with pornography, but was having a hard time starting his career in it. Though he was a licensed heart surgeon, but being a doctor was his last resort. Bruce and Kyle were twins, and both used to be significant members of one of the most menacing motorcycle gangs in the west. Significant, that is, until the gang members kicked them to the curb after finding out about their dream of going to culinary school to become pasty chefs. Though they were terrifying, seven foot tall, tattooed men with muscles so huge they could barely hold them at their sides, they made one hell of a strawberry cupcake.

"I feel like utter shit," Theo complained, plopping down on the concrete and pulling his legs up to his chest.

"I feel like I'm in the Great Gatsby," Britney giggled.

"We should find some girls for tonight," Kyle suggested, his eyes glued to the flashing lights of the strip.

"We should not," Chris snapped, sobering up quickly. Everyone turned to look at him, and he pursed his lips, looking down. "I just, uh, I don't think we should. Girls are overrated."

"What, are you a virgin?" Kyle smirked, bumping his brother's arm.

"No," Chris glared at him. "Why does this keep happening to me? Do I look like a fucking virgin?"

"I know why he doesn't want to pick up girls," Theo spoke up. "He's got a girlfriend. There's a picture of her in his wallet."

Instinctively, Chris's hand drifted to his back pocket, and he realized his wallet was gone. Theo held it up and waved it around, opening it to show the picture Chris kept of him and Rae at some senator's barbeque a while ago, back when Chris was rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous. They looked so happy, and for a split second Chris felt his heart sink. He snatched the wallet out of Theo's hand, glaring at him.

"Why do you even have my wallet?" he muttered, tucking it away. "Stay out of my pockets."

"What's your problem?" Kyle snapped, standing up and towering over Chris. "You were cool until we brought up the hoe."

Chris stepped back defensively, his hand moving to his pocket for the knife he usually kept with him. He realized he had given it to Rae along with the gun, making him completely unarmed. He stood up straight, never having felt so tiny and weak.

"Forget this guy," Bryce rolled his eyes, shoving Chris back.

Chris narrowed his eyes, shoving the burly man back. He realized too late that he stood no chance against two men twice his size, but drugs washed down with alcohol weren't actually the greatest help to his judgement. A crowd had started to form around them, and Chris heard a faint shriek at the same time a massive fist collided with his nose. The impact was enough to knock him back a few steps, but the punch in the stomach that followed soon after was enough to throw him to the ground completely.

"Moron," one of the twins muttered, "Come on, you guys."

Theo looked at the groaning Chris on the ground, then followed the guys out. Britney started to follow, but decided to hang back and try at help Chris. She knelt down next to him, biting her lip and touching his shoulder lightly. Chris wasn't hurt too bad physically, but he knew he'd have dark bruising under his eye the next morning. It was his pride that was hurt. Within a month, he had gone from first class private jets to lying in a gutter in Vegas.

"Get out of the way, get out of my way!" a familiar voice yelled. Another figure knelt down next to Chris, rolling him over on his back.

"Rae?" he muttered, his vision adjusting. "Fuck, where were you ten minutes ago?"

"Shut up, you son of a bitch," she scolded. "I can't leave you alone for five minutes without you making yourself bleed."

She helped him sit up, with help from Britney.

"Why are you here?" he mumbled.

"It's a long story that doesn't matter. We need to get you to the hotel," she sighed, looking over her shoulder. "Tyler, a little help here?"

"Who's Tyler?" Chris blinked in confusion as the kid appeared behind Rae. "No way, Kid has a real name?"

Tyler nodded slowly, though he had his eyes fixated on something else, a stupid grin on his face. Chris traced his vision over to Britney, who was staring at Tyler with the same shy grin. Rae scowled, helping Chris stand up on her own.

"Jeremy is out doing something I'm not supposed to know about," she huffed, "You're going to have to help me here, big guy. I can't carry you, you're three times my weight."

"Jeremy?" Chris muttered, shifting his weight so he could walk. "Rae, when did you dye your hair green? Why are your eyes red? Rachel, I'm really tired. I need to go to sleep."

"We can sleep when we get there, not now," she looked up, genuinely feeling sorry for Chris.

She talked to him like a four-year-old, encouraging him to make it all the way to the hotel. Tyler and Britney followed slowly, talking to each other in hushed voices and giggling every now and then. The gang was back together, but only physically. Mentally, they were all insane.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun Fact #9

Chris loves kraft's zesty salad dressing.
If you ever wondered how to picture him in your head, this resemblance is uncanny.

Image