Status: a work in progress

You're Just Like Me

A Day in the Life

Wynonna's POV

~SLAM~

I grunt as I'm slammed into the harsh, cold locker door again. This has got to be the third time today, which is impressive considering second period hasn't even started yet. I hear snickering, and I turn to see my peers passing me, throwing me side glances and laughing in my direction. Imbeciles. All of them are idiots. I lean down to pick up my books that have scattered across the floor. One boy kicks them all the way across the hall. "Go fetch, bitch!" Another round of laughs echos as I crawl over to retrieve my poor and abused books. The burning hatred in my heart flares.

Standing up, I rearrange my books and start walking to class. I check my schedule. What's next? Ah, that's right - Society 101. I roll my eyes. This class is complete bullshit. It's all about how to conform to a "normal society" when you possess "not-so-normal skills and talents". Our teacher, Mr. Dale, has X-Ray vision. Talk about creepy right? He already acts like a perv, and it's absolutely horrifying to know he could be looking at your underwear without you knowing. This is why I will never wear a thong to school.

I go into the classroom and put my books on my desk. Right in front of me is the douchebag who pushed me into the locker. What's his name? I think it's Damien. He prides himself on his super strength. Yeah, now you can imagine how much being pushed into that locker hurt.

"Hello class!" Mr. Dale stands up from his desk and writes today's lesson on the board. The bell rings, signifying the beginning of class. I feel something hit me in the back of the head. Turning around, I see a girl laughing. She threw a paper airplane. A paper airplane, seriously? We're in a school for the "talented and gifted" and you come up with a paper airplane? At least I know what her talent isn't -- super intelligence.

"Now class, we're going to talk about how one would behave in a normal society." Mr. Dale begins. "Obviously, you can't go out and use your talents. However, what you can do is learn how to act and react like a normal human would."

"Why don't we just ask Wynormal? She's already a regular human being." Damien snorts. The entire class bursts into laughter. I turn beet read and sink into my chair. Wynormal? How original. Embarassing, but it's not like I haven't heard that before.

"Class settle down!" The teacher yells, waving his hands to get the class's attention. "Please! I will not tolerate any sort of bullying in my classroom!"

"It's not bullying when it's true! She doesn't belong here. She doesn't even have a power!" A girl in the back yells out. Everyone agreed, nodding and snickering.

"Yeah! She's nothing but a no-good normal kid"

"Why the hell is she even here, anyway?"

"Wynormal needs to get the fuck out of this school if she knows what's good for her."

Their catcalls and screams of insults and trash talk quickly turn into a cacophony of hatred. The teacher is yelling at them to quiet down, but it's just no use. Fuck this. I grab my books and stand up, heading towards the door. Once I get to the doorway, I turn to flip them off. The kids laugh harder, knowing they've gotten to me.

Mr. Dale calls after me. Surely he knows that after all of that, there's no way in hell that I'm going back in there. "Wynonna, please wear a longer skirt tomorrow! I can nearly see you're underwear!"

The irony kills.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I run outside and sit down in the one of the courtyard benches. It's completely abandoned since everyone is in class. I put my books next to me and lay my head in my hands. Every day is just like this. I arrive, I get harassed mercilessly, I get loaded with homework, and I leave. And so it goes. I'm so tired of this. I don't want to keep living like this.

They only treat me this way because I don't have any special talents or powers like the rest of them. Silver Hill Academy is a school for those with gifts, like Damien's super strength or Mr. Dale's X-Ray vision. Every one here has something, or even more than one thing if they're lucky. Some have mind-reading, some can fly, some can shoot fire from their fingertips. My parents can both make anyone feel excruciating pain with a blink of an eye, and my dad also has super speed along with that. One guy here is the actual Spiderman. Yeah, you thought that was just a comic book? No. This guy can shoot webs from his wrists and swing from buildings like a monkey and can tie up people with his gooey webs in a split second. His name is even Peter. Not Peter Parker, but it's close enough.

I don't even know how I got into this fucking school. Maybe my parents pulled some strings or something, or maybe everyone assumed I'd get really cool talents like my parents. I guess it skipped my generation. Through all of my sixteen years of living on this earth, I have never met a more normal, non-talented person than me. I mean, I'm talented. I can sing and I can play guitar, but those aren't exactly the talents I'm looking for if you know what I mean.

"One day," my mom always says, "one day you'll get your power and you'll never be teased again. You'll be so amazing that no one will ever say a word against you. Your powers are just coming a little late, that's all." A little late? No they're not a little late! They're fucking sixteen years late, and that's pretty fucking late to me.

I sigh, hearing the bell ring for second period's end. I look back at the entrance to the school building and shake my head. Grabbing my books, I shove them into my backpack and make for the exit. I don't think I can deal with classes today. I'm going home.

Hopefully tomorrow is better.