Status: IDEK...

She Wants Somebody Else

chemistry class;

The value of Avogadro's number is 6.022 x 1023 mole, and that mole is measured in either...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I laid the right side of my head in the palm of my hand and stared absentmindedly at the projector screen, zoning in and out of today's Chemistry lesson. It was the first Friday since the students of San Clemente High returned from winter break, and lunch was taking forever to arrive.

My gaze shifted onto Mrs. Vogel, the Chemistry teacher. She stood in the middle of the classroom at the overhead, writing down huge numbers and unfamiliar words. As she scribbled away her mouth formed words, but as to what those words were, I hadn't the slightest clue. All I could think about was Ryan.

I looked at the vacant stool next to me with a frown, envying all the people that spent more time with my best friend than I did. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Ryan and all that he's accomplished at just eighteen years young, but sometimes I wished things would go back to the way they were before he turned pro skater. I wanted life to be simple again so that he and I could be together, but that wasn't the case in this "almost was a love story". Funny how it never is in the real world.

I had drifted so far out into la la land that I failed to notice Tony Panici was now occupying Ryan's empty stool for today's lab assignment.

"Earth to Holland," he sang, waving a hand in front of my hollow eyes. Startled, I jumped from my stool and he chuckled loudly, clearly amused. "Why so jumpy, Benz?"

"Don't be such a dick, T," I snapped, giving his shoulder a shove. "You scared me."

Tony laughed again and shook his head, tossing me the blue piece of paper containing the lab instructions. "Get a move on, B. Vogel said as soon as we finish we can take off for lunch and you know me, starving as always."

Picking up the paper that landed on my lap, I tossed it in between the two of us with another frown adorning my lips. "I'm not doing this entire lab by myself again."

"Well if you want it done right, you are," Tony said with a smirk, pushing the paper back in my direction.

I rolled my eyes and slapped a hand down over the paper, mirroring his smirk. "Fine. But that means you get to do the hard part."

Just as I was about to read out the needed supplies, Tony snatched the paper from underneath the palm of my hand. "On second thought, I'll do the lab and you can do the write-up. And please don't hesitate to sugarcoat it. I could always use the A." He was referring to how I mastered the art of bullshitting my way through essays and lab reports by the end of freshman year.

My eyes rolled again as I leaned forward against the edge of the table and silently observed him set to work with a notebook in front of me and pen in hand.

Ten minutes passed and as he transferred the unknown bright green liquid from a test tube to a small beaker, he suddenly asked, "So how are you?"

With a brow raised I studied over his features, his brown eyes glancing back and forth between the beaker and the instructions. "Er, alright I guess. Why?"

His shoulder was stiff as he shrugged. "Just curious."

I continued to watch him, my grey eyes narrowing by the second. I swear he was trying his hardest to avoid my gaze. "What are you up to, T?"

"Nothing," he answered a little too quickly. "What makes you think I am?"

A coy smile tugged on the corners of my mouth as I mocked him with his own words. "Why so jumpy, Panici?"

Tony's eyes darted all around the room, still refusing to meet mine, as his hand nervously scratched the back of his head. "Um well, Ryan might've asked me to...uh, 'look' after you. You know, to make sure you're not too broken up with the rejection."

"Ryan didn't reject me!" I said a little too loudly, which earned us the attention of everyone in the room, including Mrs. Vogel. Embarrassment flushed my cheeks as I chuckled uneasily and lowered my voice. "He didn't reject me. He's just not ready to commit to a relationship right now. And I am not broken up over anything." It was partly true. Ryan gave me hope that one day we would be together and I was going to hold tight onto his word.

Tony eyed me carefully before drawing one corner of his mouth upward. "Well that's good to know, because then it means I get to have you all to myself tomorrow night."

My pupils widened to saucers and my lips parted slightly. "What?"

"Sage's mom won't let her go out with that Gabe guy by herself," he explained, calibrating the electronic scale to zero. "Casey and Taylor were supposed to double date with them, but Casey came down with the flu and Taylor and I were going to play pretend until she bailed on me last minute."

"Probably because Casey told her to, and it's good thing he did," I teased. "Always wanting what you can't have." He returned a suggestive wink and I shook my head, giggling. "You're such a flirt, T."

He placed the beaker on the scale and grinned cheekily. "So will you, Miranda Bentley Holland, do me the honor of being my pretend girlfriend Saturday evening?"

"Why can't we just go on this double date as friends?"

"Because playing boyfriend and girlfriend gives me an excuse to get kinky with you."

Rolling my eyes, I shook my head and looked away without a word.

"So will you?" he repeated.

I rested my chin in the palm of my hand and looked up at the ceiling, pretending to be deep in thought about his offer. "Hmm, I don't know..."

"Oh come on! You and Ryan aren't together, and Brant's out of the picture, not that he ever was in to begin with. Besides, five bucks says the only thing you've got planned is to sit in your room all by your lonesome with a big bowl of popcorn and a Disney movie."

I gasped inwardly and bit my lip. Was I that predictable?

He answered my question for me, lightly chuckling, "You've become so predictable, darling. But seriously, come on this date with me. It'll help you get your mind off of Ryan."

I contemplated his offer as well as the plead etched across his face, before rolling my head to the right and then to the left with a heavy sigh. "We can hold hands and you may put your arm around my shoulders, but I draw the line at kissing."

His mouth fell slightly open, and then formed a pout. "Not even a little peck on the cheek?"

Catching a glimpse of the time, I started putting my things away and Tony mimicked my actions. "No thanks."

"The hand?"

"Nope."

"How about an Eskimo kiss?"

"How about no?"

"A kiss goodnight for sure?"

"Not a chance."

The lunch bell rang as Tony's eyes jokingly narrowed to slits. "You're turning out to be a pretty shitty, pretend girlfriend."

"And the date isn't even until tomorrow evening," I answered smugly, getting up from the stool and swinging my handbag over my shoulder. "Pick me up at seven, lovely pretend boyfriend of mine."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait. Some of the reality TV shit is going to be out of order, so I apologize in advance, I might not even include it actually. Like I said, I haven't got a fucking clue as to what I'm doing yet.

Thank You Winter, Ryansprincess, & uCanCallMeMrs.Bieber for the feedback! Please comment & subscribe! :)

xoxo, Erika