Status: New, please stay tuned!

Broken Sundown

Pilot

I walked through the desolate town of Kings County, the town that used to be my home growing up. The outbreak happened about two months ago now, and while I knew this was to be expected, I couldn't help but hope for the best during my journey.

I got the call from my mom when it all began, begging me to come home to be with them. I promised her I'd make it, but with cars broken down in the streets and walkers crawling on every inch of land, the treacherous walk home took longer than I had ever expected it to.

As I walked down the main street into town, I prepared myself for the fact that my family could have left, or worse, they could have been killed. There weren't too many geeks for me to handle, I used the old cross bow that my dad gave me as a kid to protect myself, but my aim still wasn't the greatest. I did my best to keep quiet, collecting my arrows after I was sure the walkers were down for good. I didn't want to attract the attention of more geeks, or even humans (which I learned became increasingly hostile since the outbreak).

As I saw my childhood home drawing nearer in my view, my heart started to race in my chest and my speed picked up. I opened the door cautiously, peeking around the frame with my bow in my arms, checking to see if it were safe or not. When there didn't appear to be any walkers I stepped in and closed the door behind me.

"Hello?" I called out quietly, keeping my bow raised as I passed from room to room. There were no signs of anyone.

I noticed that picture frames were missing from the walls and shelves, as well as little trinkets that myself and my brother made when we were young. These were sure signs that my family was gone.

Just to be sure, I combed the upstairs ans basement, discovering that every room was empty. Not even a walker occupied the house, and for the first time in my whole entire life, the house was quiet and lonely. I walked into the bathroom, hoping that by some miracle the shower would work, but it didn't. My body ached, reminding me of all of the cuts and scratches that the world has covered me with. It had been too long since I felt warm water on my skin, and I yearned for it.

Back on the roads, I searched every inch of every major business, hoping I could find some sign of life or some sign of a generator for that matter. I checked the fire hall first, and while there was a generator, the firemen which were now walkers had burnt it out of gas, and I was back to my wandering.

Next, I checked the police station. It was difficult breaking in, but luckily there were no walkers in this building. Firstly, I checked for the gun supply, which was loaded. I pulled my backpack off my back and put two pistols and ammo inside, grabbing a third pistol which I tucked in the back of my shorts and a rifle. I could have taken the whole lot, but weapons that attracted walkers were not my top priority.

I carefully descended the stairs into the basement and found the generator. To my delight, the generator roared on and kicked on the lights in the building. I knew that the water would be working too, and the aching sensation again covered my body. However, it was already growing dark, and I didn't want to sleep in the station or walk back to the house in the dark, so I turned the generator off and slung my backpack back on. I put the rifle over my shoulder and kept a hold on my bow, a quieter alternative. Plus, I didn't know how strong these guns were yet.

I walked quickly back to my house and made an effort to push a shelf from the living room in front of the front door. I used a chair to jamb the handle of the back door and covered the windows with blankets so light couldn't be seen from outside. I had finished just as the sun finished setting and the natural light was gone from the streets and house.

I gathered some of the candles my mom used to disperse through the house and lined them on shelves in my bedroom, where I made camp for the night. I pushed my bed to the window and laid flat on my stomach with the rifle in my hands and out the window. I had not plans to draw attention to myself, but I used the scope to access the herd of walkers pacing the street.

I had begun falling asleep when a car alarm a street of two over went over and caused me to jump. I looked back through the scope and saw the car's flashing lights through the trees, but no signs of movement other than walkers, which were moving towards the loud noise.

It took the aching pain in my back and shoulders to realize just how long it had been since I had actually slept in a bed, and with the rifle in my hands, I allowed my self to sleep.

In the morning, I pushed back blankets to let in the morning sun, shivering at the chilly air. For being in Georgia, the morning air in Kings County was always nippy. Prepared and determined to finally take a shower back at the police station, I emptied out the bag that I had scavenged and pulled an hold hiking bag out from my closet. I replaced items I knew I'd need like the guns and ammo, and added in matches, two flashlights, rope, and old boat flares. Though the flares expired, I knew they would still work, and a fire could be a smart way to draw off the attention of walkers.

In my hiking bag, I managed to fit two changes of clothes, a long sleeve and short sleeve shirt and then a pair of shorts and a pair of pants at the very bottom with my supplies on top. Inside another smaller bag, I placed toiletries for my shower. I took the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and face wash my mom always left for me when I came to visit out of the bathroom and stuck them in this bag. I grabbed a clean towel from the closet and placed it in as well. I threw a clean pair of shorts, a tank top, a shirt and other essentials on top and descended the stairs to leave.

I paced back through the kitchen one last time and came across something on the fridge I had overlooked in the dark last night. It was an envelope marked "DELILAH" and a picture of my family. I carefully took the picture off and looked it over. It was a picture from a few years ago, of me, my parents, my brother and my old best friend from a trip we took to Cape Cod before I left to college. I felt tears burning in my eyes, knowing my mom had left this for me. I rummaged around for a plastic bag, putting the picture inside to protect it.

Next, I grabbed the later with shakey fingers and pried open the top. I pulled out a letter and recognized the hand writing as my mother's.

"My beautiful Delilah,

If you're reading this then that means we've left home. The town is being evacuated to Atlanta, the army is saying that the city is safer and we would be better there. They aren't giving us much of a choice. Honey, know that we all love you so very much. Please do not be mad at us for leaving, we know that you are probably safer where you are than trying to get to us.
If you are reading this, we've headed to Atlanta, and we know that you will make it to us. We love you so much, please be safe.

Mom and Dad."

I choked back tears and shoved the letter into my bag. Of course I wasn't angry with them, I was just angry that I hadn't made it there in time. I quickly decided that I would take my shower, find a car with gas in it and get to my family in Atlanta. They'd be there, they have to be.

---

Back at the police station with both of my bags, I blocked the doors and combed back through to make sure no walkers had made it in during the night. When I was certain it was safe, I turned on the generator and walked to the shower room, dropping my bags to the floor with relief.

In the mirror, I observed myself and knew that I needed to cut my hair, which I used to take pride in. I trimmed off a few inches of my hair which was hitting my butt and fixed up my bangs so I could see. I was mostly successful, besides the dried blood that clumped my hair together.

I finally turned the water on and held my hand out, almost falling weak at the knees as warm water coated my skin.

I stripped of clothing and threw them aside, quickly moving underneath the pelting hot water. I stood there for at least twenty minutes, smiling as my fingers turned pruney and my skin turned pink. I grabbed a wash clothe and the body soap, carefully stroking my skin with the two, trying to avoid cuts and gashes, but cleaning off the dirt and blood. Next I scrubbed my hair with shampoo at least 5 times, cleaning out the oil, grime, and blood and lastly finished it off with conditioner to take out the tangles. Before I turned the water off, I washed my body once more and shaved, taking care to not worsen cuts on my legs.

When I finally turned the water off, I froze upon hearing voices coming from other rooms.

"Huh, the lights are on." I heard a male voice echo.

I rushed to pull my towel around my body and took out a pistol, sliding the cartridge with ammo into the butt and turning the safety off.

A white man with piercing blue eyes appeared in the doorway and I held my gun up, closing one eye to aim and held my stance.

"Move and I'll shoot you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! This is my first TWD fanfiction, so please leave comments and let me know what you think and if I should continue! I appreciate the feedback (: