Status: New, please stay tuned!

Broken Sundown

A Way Out

"You son of a bitch, I'm going to kill you." The blonde one said, ripping Rick away from me and pinning him against a cabinet.

"Just chill out Andrea, back off." A hispanic man said, one of the men who beat the geeks in the alley.

"Come on, ease up." The black woman said cautiously.

"We're dead because of this stupid asshole."

"Back off." I yelled and pushed her off of him, standing in front of Rick. He put a hand on my shoulder, trying to avoid a further confrontation with the group that had saved our lives.

"We're dead, all of us." Andrea said, finally lowering her weapon from us and backing away with tears in her eyes. "Because of you."

"I don't understand." Rick said from behind me.

"Follow me." The hispanic man said, leading us through a door into the first floor of a department store.

"Every geek for miles heard you popping off rounds." The black man in the group said, obviously ticked off.

"You just rang the dinner bell." Andrea said.

Our little rescue group led us away from the glass doors. Through the doors, we could see walkers slamming their fists and even rocks into the glass, trying to reach us. There were two layers of glass, but it didn't look like it would take must longer for them to breach the first set of doors.

"Look, I'm sorry, I didn't know." Rick said.

"It's fine, we'll make it." Glenn, the Asian boy who saved Rick's life said. "We'll be out of here before they make it inside."

"You'd better hope." The black man mumbled.

---

I didn't know why, and I didn't realize it until we headed up the flight of stairs, but Rick was holding onto my hand tightly. Maybe he was just afraid of losing another familiar face, just like I was.

Glenn asked T-Dog if he had gotten a signal on the radio, and Glenn's face lit up.

"The refugee center?" He asked.

"No, not even close." The black woman said.

"No, our group. Just outside of Atlanta." Glenn answered.

---

It's safe to say that I hate Merle, the red-neck asshole of the group. He's impolite and dangerous, and the way he looks at me like a meal makes my stomach churn. Rick doesn't like MErle either, and a racist outburst led him to handcuffign Merle to the roof. I don't blame Rick for his actions, and it seems like the rest of the group, especially T-Dog, also feel relieved at his new restraint.

Rick was also a leader in school, less outspoken than his counterpart Shane, but still a leader nonetheless. This small group required a leader, and it seems like Rick's new place. No one but the red-neck seemed to have an issue with his. That, and they were all terrified of what would become of them if the geeks made it in.

The black woman, whose name I had yet to learn, informed me about the rest of their group while Rick thought up an escape plan with Glenn. She told me how her group had set up just near an old rock quarry with a huge lake at the bottom. When she mentioned how clear and beautiful the water was, I could help but realize just how dry my mouth was.

We decided that our escape from the department store would require greater lengths than first presumed. The black woman assured us that old buildings such as the one we were in often had drainage tunnels into the sewers that could provide a sneakier escape.

She led us the the bottom floor of the store and over to a pit in the floor that was dark and gloomy. Glenn stated that he had never been down it, but knew it had to lead somewhere. Glenn knew by the looks on every one's faces that they were depending on him to lead the way, but he refused.

"Speak your mind." Rick said.

"Look, until now, I always came here by myself. In and out, grab a few things with no problem. First time I bring a group, everything goes to hell. No offense." Glenn said, showing that he too wanted to avoid more problems.

He stated that it would be safer for him to go, than to have everyone follow and then have a jam incase a walker (or a dozen) showed up and they needed a swift exit. Rick insisted on going with him, but Glenn refused this too. He said that Rick was the best shot, and the group needed a leader while he was gone.

While Glen and the Hispanic man left, Rick and Andrea watched the doors and the black woman and I gathered up their belongings and gathered supplies. If Glenn found a way out, we needed to be prepared to leave as quickly as possible.

When Glenn returned and told us that the sewer was blocked by iron bars, a new plan needed to be conceived.

"They're attracted by sound, right?" Rick asked.

"Like dogs." Glenn nodded. "They hear sound, they come."

"What else?"

"Aside from they hear you; they see you, smell you, and if they catch you they eat you."

"They can smell us?" I asked.

"Can't you?" Glenn asked back.

"They smell dead and we dont." Andrea said.

"Well, then I've got a plan." Rick said.