Status: This is the first project I ever really took seriously. I hope you enjoy it.

Nightfeather

Apprenticeship

Firefern had been thinking for the past several days. He had been careful, at first, about how rough he was with Nightkit after the accident. But, seeing how determined she was and that she still trained just as vigorously as before, even after he had wounded her, proved her dedication. She wanted to become a warrior, and nothing was going to stop her. So, one day, as they were drinking at the stream after an hours-long training session, he decided to ask her a question. One that could change everything.

He stopped drinking and stared at his reflection in the gently flowing water for a moment. He hesitated, not sure why he was suddenly so nervous. Then he took a deep breath, and looked up at her.

"Nightkit?"

"Huh?" she said between laps at the water.

"I want to talk to you about something."

"Okay," she said, again, without looking up.

"I just--I mean--um--" Exasperated, he sighed and said, "Could you just look at me for a minute, please?"

Caught off guard by the seriousness of his tone, Nightkit looked up at him, startled, and said, "Sure. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just--It's kind of important, that's all."

"Oh. Okay. What is it?"

Firefern took another deep breath and said, "Nightkit, you've come a long way since the clan adopted you two weeks ago. Especially in your training. You're faster, stronger, and more agile than any of the other kits. And you learn incredibly quickly. Plus, you obviously don't let minor setbacks, such as injuries--" he still winced at this,"--get in the way of your goals. You've become an incredibly skilled fighter, and you can only get better. So I ask you: Nightkit, newest member of Fireclan and toughest of all the kits, would you become my apprentice?"

Nightkit, caught totally off guard by his offer, simply stared. After observing the clan for two weeks and learning their ways, Nighkit knew what an incredible offer this was; what it meant to be offered an apprenticeship. She also knew that if she turned him down, Firefern could--and, most likely, would--end her training and turn to the next best fighter in the clan. And she wanted, more that anything, to become a warrior. So, taking a slightly nervous breath, Nightkit stood, took a few steps toward Firefern, looked squarely into his eyes, and said, "Yes, Firefern, I accept the incredible honor of becoming your apprentice."

Smiling, Firefern said, "Great. And the honor is all mine." Standing, Firefern turned away from the stream and toward the dens as he said, "Now we have to go tell Specklestar of our decision."

Nervously chasing after him, Nightkit asked, "What will happen?"

"She'll decide whether or not she approves of our decision, and, if she does, she'll make it official. There will be a ceremony, either tonight, before everyone goes to bed, or in the morning, before everyone begins the tasks of the day. It just depends on how quickly she makes her decision."

"Oh. Okay." Suddenly uncertain of herself, Nightkit hesitantly asked, "What do you think she'll decide?"

Firefern gave Nightkit a sidelong glance and smiled reassuringly as he said,"I think there's going to be a ceremony tonight."

Nightkit smiled, suddenly feeling proud, and squared her shoulders as they quickened their pace, both eager to reach their clan leader's den.

**********

After they told her of their recently made decision, Specklestar sent Firefern and Nightkit to wait just outside of her den while she considered. Several painstakingly long moments later, she called them back inside.

"I have made my decision. I believe that Nightkit is a strong and determined Fighter. I believe that she has dedicated herself totally to her goals. And I believe, Firefern, that you have made a wise decision in asking Nightkit to become your apprentice. The ceremony will begin shortly. Go get yourselves cleaned up, and, Firefern, since you know what will happen, you will help Nightkit to properly prepare. I will send for you when it is time. You are dismissed."

At that, the two kits left to prepare.
♠ ♠ ♠
I try to change up my diction a little, so its not repetitive. I do that with anything I write. But sometimes I'm afraid I've made it weird. If you see something weird, let me know. Thx! :)