Status: Updated maybe once a week.

Royally Screwed

Chapter Ten

There was this one boy that Kellin was almost so sure would have fulfilled his wish of finding his Prince Charming. It was the captain of the water polo team, tall and lean with a smile that could dazzle and make anyone swoon before their very eyes. His name was Josh and Kellin had the biggest crush on him, he was just so gorgeous and the captain would always be courteous to Kellin whenever he would pass by him in the hallways or at lunch or in class. Kellin never heard him raise his voice, Kellin never saw him act cruelly to others, he was a prince. He was perfect and Kellin's puppy love for the senior when he was only a sophomore just grew and grew and grew. And he felt that Josh was growing affection for Kellin as well, spending more time with him on tutoring and inviting Kellin to more and more of his games to watch him play and splash in the water.

Kellin thought that for once, his wish came true.

But sadly, it didn't.

For the captain only wanted to know Kellin as a friend. . .and he was interested in Jenna anyways.

Kellin scrunched his eyes at the memory, feeling discomforted and trying to make himself feel more comfortable in the chair. His eyes fluttered open and he saw the view out the window. Lush green mountain ranges, the sky was a clear blue with a few clouds dotting it. The sun shone through the windows, hitting his pale skin. He felt a tap on his shoulder and gasped, turning around to see Vic standing there.

"G'morning, Kells." Vic greeted with a smile, showing off his pearly white teeth. Kellin smiled back, eyes still heavy lidded with sleep. He stood up and stretched, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"We'll have breakfast at the palace, okay? Right now we need to get you to Parliament. . .we should have probably dressed you in something more formal," Vic murmured and Kellin looked down at his clothes. It was a simple checkered red shirt and faded blue jeans. He blushed, this was not going to be a good first impression on Parliament. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Rian approaching with a bowler hat in one hand and sunglasses in the other.

"Your Highness," he said, offering the accessories to Vic and the prince nodded, placing on the hat and sunglasses. Kellin couldn't help but give a tiny giggle at how Vic looked, the prince pouting and adjusting his tie.

"What? Look too dignified?" Vic asked in a stuffy and pompous voice that made Kellin laugh even more and Vic began to laugh as well. Rian however, just rolled his eyes and then looked at the prince.

"Your Highness, there is a limo waiting for you and your. . .'friend' outside in the lot. Paparazzi are here but rest assured, airport security is holding them back," Rian informed and Vic nodded.

"Okay," he replied and then stuck out his arm for Kellin to take, Kellin took it with a blush and Vic began to lead him out, "Come on, I'll show you your new home."

Kellin just bit his lip, Vic taking him down the aisle out to the open area of the plane, descending the staircase. There were royal guards already standing at attention, along with a bald man with rather big eyes holding a camera and taking pictures of Vic and Kellin walking down the steps.

Now Kellin began to feel more self-conscious about his clothing, Vic was dressed so classy and he was dressed so. . .plain. And there are pictures now to prove it. What if he makes a bad impression on Parliament? What if they believe he's just some silly little American boy and no one special, which he was, but still? What if they think the prince was just impulsive and brought him here to mess around on his duties? His cheeks were flamed red as the two of them passed by the photographer, that ever click click click sound echoing in his ears. He should've worn a suit.

"Is that a bad thing he's taking pictures of us?" Kellin whispered and Vic shook his head.

"No. He's from the palace. He's our historian, just documenting our travels for future members of royalty and for the museums. It's just those nosy paparazzi people we have to worry about. . .but security is holding them back, don't worry," Vic replied and Kellin gulped.

"Why? What do they do?"

"Well, it's just that paparazzi love stories about the royal family and any possible scandals they can find or make up."

"Oh," Kellin replied, feeling Vic's arm hooked around his squeezing tight. He could feel the muscle underneath the coat and dress shirt, not bulging but lightly toned and tough. Off into the distance, he could see a limo parked and guard standing beside it at attention. Once Vic and Kellin arrived, he quickly bowed.

"Your Highness and Guest," he addressed and Kellin blushed, unsure why but bowing as well.

Vic just smiled and the guard opened the door for the both of them to get in. Not long after, Rian arrived with three of the guards from the plane. The limo was roomy, black leather seats and a little snack bar filled with sweets that Kellin had never seen. They looked like gummy fish and jawbreakers, jelly beans, licorice, cubes of caramel.

"Want some?" he heard Vic ask and Kellin gave a nod, Vic reaching over and grabbing a handful of candy to place in Kellin's hand.

"Your Highness, you shouldn't spoil your breakfast," Rian scolded and Vic scoffed.

"Lighten up for once, Rian."

"I'll lighten up when you start acting like you should, a well respected dignitary," Rian snapped and Vic smiled.

"You're lucky this isn't like, great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandad's time. He would have had your head," Vic replied, removing a stick of licorice from his mouth and pointing it at Rian, "Off with your head!"

The advisor only rolled his eyes. They drove off in the limo, Kellin watching the picturesque scene outside the window.

Miridia was beautiful. Buildings stood on either side of the road and they weren't big and made of glass and cement or anything. They were made of bricks and they looked old but it was like they were driving through a painting. There were flowers and plants wedged between some bricks and citizens smiled and greeted each other. As they drove, the buildings looked older and older but at the same time, more and more beautiful. In the distance, there were green hills and he could see fields of flowers too.

"Stay close to me later when we get to Parliament, Kellin. There's gonna be paparazzi there and you gotta be careful to ignore them and not answer any of their questions," Vic said, snapping Kellin out of his thoughts. The pale boy just nodded.

What questions will they ask him? What will Parliament say? He was growing nervous, he felt his palms beginning to sweat and his body beginning to quake in slight fear of it all and the limo was beginning to slow to a stop in front of a marble building, golden dome at the top and marble statues of lions by the staircases. People were making crowds as more guards came out to greet Vic and Kellin, beginning to form a barricade as Vic hooked his arm back around Kellin's.

"Your Highness--" Rian said with a frown but Vic held his hand up to silence him.

"He's my guest, I can escort him however I want," Vic replied and the door opened, guard beginning to try and usher the prince and Kellin out of the limo and into the little human barricade. The air was cool, blowing gently on Kellin's cheeks and the sun was so bright, it seemed to shine brighter in Miridia than back in Florida. The cheers and shouts seemed even louder than they were in the limo and Kellin felt Vic beginning to walk him up the steps, Kellin now beginning to hear shouts and questions.

"Your Highness! Your High-who's that! Your Highness!"

"Your Highness, tell us about when you've gone missing in America!"

"Es que un consorte? Prince Victor!"

"Are you American?! His Highness wants to have an American for his consort!"

"Your name! What's your name?!"

All of these questions were making Kellin's head swirl and he just gripped onto Vic tighter and the guards were hurrying them inside the building even faster to get away from all of the hype and hysteria. They made it to the entrance thankfully unscathed, the shouts now seeming like a distant echo as they stepped through the large wooden doors into the grand foyer. The walls were covered in art of angels and nature. The beauty of life and humanity, a light cast from the large dome from above giving everything a golden earthy look to it. The floors were polished and clean, Kellin could see he and Vic's reflections in the tiles as they strolled down the main hallway and the only sounds were the echoes of their feet walking.

He looked so plain and unattractive next to Vic with his long dark hair almost covering his eyes and pale as snow complexion. Vic looked handsome and confident with his tan skin and beautiful brunette locks whereas Kellin just looked like, well. . .Kellin. And the younger boy didn't know if this Kellin would be allowed to stay in a palace with a prince in a beautiful country.

"Now the public believes you're bringing this boy to be a consort," Rian grumbled in annoyance and Kellin bit his lip while Vic rolled his eyes.

"And I will make an announcement at the dinner who the real contenders are for consort. . .that is, if you end up picking people who I actually like," Vic said haughtily and Rian frowned.

They continued walking until they entered a door at the end of the hallway, slightly darker and larger than the foyer they were in. Wood, deep mahogany and rosewood were all along the walls and large windows let the light shine in, people dressed in suits running about trying to take their places in their seats. It sort of looked like a room for debate, tables making a circle and at the center was a podium where a long table stood. Along the walls, there were paintings of what Kellin believed were judges, some with powdered wigs while others looked more modern, all of them however, were sophisticated. Vic walked Kellin to the middle of the floor, placing hands on Kellin's shoulders.

"I need to be up in the gallery," Vic said, pointing upwards to the balcony area and Kellin gulped, "Don't worry, I'm still here. But they want to talk to you, not to me."

"O-Okay," Kellin stuttered out and Vic gave the boy a reassuring smile. Vic's hand traveled from Kellin's shoulders to down his arms, holding the boy's pale hand in his.

"Hey, don't worry. You're going to stay, I promise," Vic said in a soft voice, squeezing Kellin's hand. Kellin blushed and gave a less than enthusiastic smile back, "Okay."

Rian tried to usher the prince away from Kellin and two of the guards remaining behind as Vic was escorted off the floor and up the stairs to the gallery. Kellin stood there, rocking back and forth on his heels and twiddling his fingers. He hoped they were nice, he hoped they wouldn't be offended by how he was dressed. Ugh, he should have just worn a suit. This was bad, this was bad, this was really really bad.

There was a sound of footsteps, Kellin turning to see a trail of judges walking inside and up to the platform, each standing in front of their seats and the chatter ceased. They gave a bow, "Your Highness," they addressed and Kellin turned, seeing Vic standing in the gallery and giving them a bow as well. The other patrons of Parliament did the same, bowing to Vic, "Your Highness."

"Before deciding the fate of this young boy, Your Highness, please come down from the gallery so that we may discuss your. . .little stunt in America," One of the judges, an elderly man with glasses round and nose thin and hooked said. The judge looked at Vic tight lipped and jaw clenched.

Kellin looked at Vic who had a calm but slightly amused expression on his face. The prince stood up and walked down the stairs, the sound of his footsteps barely reverberating throughout the quiet room. Vic stopped beside him, smirking at the judges.

Vic and the judges started talking to each other in Spanish. Kellin couldn't follow nor understand what they were saying but he did hear Vic say his name a couple of times. The tone in the judges' voices were questioning and sometimes, their voices raised. Vic only responded confidently, not raising his voice in the slightest.

After a while of that, the judges probably told Vic that their discussion was over and to go back up to the gallery and the prince did so.

The judges now turned to Kellin.

"Do you know how to speak Spanish, boy?"

"No, I don't." Kellin said and he saw one of the judges writing something down on a piece of paper.

"And how old are you?" one of the large judges asked.

"I just turned 17."

"Have you finished your formal education?" a woman asked, Kellin thought she looked the kindest of the judges and he shook his head.

"Um no, I have one more year left, ma'am," he said. He was a junior, he didn't accomplish senior year yet and hoped that wouldn't cause him to not be allowed to stay. They all glanced around at each other at the mention of this, murmuring and whispering amongst themselves and he gulped. They shuffled through their papers again, one of the judges making standing up and holding the paperwork in his hands.

"Our first order of business, approval of recommendation by the Royal Family for advisor of His Royal Highness, Prince Victor Vincent Fuentes, Prince of Miridia. . .your name, my boy?" he asked and Kellin blushed.

"U-Um, Kellin. . .uh, Kellin Quinn."

"Mr. Kellin Quinn, I see," the man said, settling down back into his seat. "You are 17 years of age and have one more year of American education to finish. . .have you any education in etiquette?"

"I. . .no, no I haven't," Kellin replied, glancing over his shoulder to look up at Vic. He was watching quietly, leg bouncing up and down impatiently.

"Your family?"

"Deceased. . .I lived with my stepfather and stepsister," Kellin answered and the judge raised an eyebrow.

"Is there a letter of approval signed by your guardian? Does he know of you coming here?" another judge asked, this one looking a bit younger than the others that Kellin bit his lip at. He glanced over at Vic, not sure of what to say. It sure didn't sound like his stepdad understood that Kellin was really leaving, but he was told that Kellin was coming to Miridia. He could see Vic beginning to nod his head up and down and Kellin quickly turned back to face the judges.

"Yes. There is."

"Do you have it?"

"Um. . .well, you see, uh, His Highness had discussed with my stepfather over dinner and he gave approval for it."

"A verbal request does not hold up to the same value as a written request," the younger looking judge said, glancing over at Vic. "You should know that," the judge muttered, barely audible. This was it, Kellin thought. He screwed up, he's going back home. A woman spoke next.

"Are you associated with any organizations? Military officials?Ambassadors?" she asked, Spanish accent rather thick and Kellin shook his head.

"No, I'm not," Kellin replied and another man stood up.

"Do you have your documentation and passport?" he asked and Kellin bit his lip, unsure of how to answer that. He got a passport when his mother was still alive, he wasn't sure if it was still any good but he had one. But he wasn't sure if the guards took it when they went back to the suite to gather his things, so he stood there rather awkwardly.

"Um. . ."

One of the guards said something in Spanish and Kellin stared at the man in slight confusion, ". . .The Miridian Council is looking over your documentation," he replied and Kellin gave a nod, turning back to face the judges. The one in the middle rubbed his chin, fingers thick and nose small like a button as it scrunched and he eyed Kellin.

"Hmm. . .you don't seem like a bad child. . .but we can never be too sure--"

"I-I won't be any trouble to the Royal Family. . .but I don't want to go back. I want to stay here," Kellin said and all the judges glanced at each other, murmuring and speaking in low voices before looking back at him.

"Very well then," the button nosed judge replied, glancing at Kellin and a tiny smile came over him, "You shall be our page to the Royal Family for three months. Then, you are free to become His Highness' secondary advisor. We will see about an American tutor coming to finish your education as well as a Miridian tutor coming to teach you about our history and customs along with proper etiquette and grooming. . .and we will need to see about your citizenship once the Mirdian Council is finished. . .as well as a proper agreement from your guardian. . .until then, this order of business is finished and we are now free to move onto the next thing on our agenda," the man replied and Kellin saw the guards nodding behind him, hands gently resting on his shoulders. Kellin looked between the two men before back at the judges.

"So. . .I can stay?"

". . .Unless a problem comes up, then yes, you may stay."

And Kellin gained the biggest smile of happiness on his face, the guards escorting him off of the floor and he turned to look over his shoulder and gave a big wave.

"Thank you!" the boy chirped loudly and then bit his lip, silence and the gallery staring at Kellin with half amused faces and other faces of confusion. He turned, heat overcoming his cheeks as they exited the room and the door behind them was gently closed shut.

Maybe he could use a few lessons on proper Miridian interaction.

-----------------

"So. . .is a page a good thing?" Kellin asked Vic once they were back in the limo, the crowd once there now thinned and not that many eager paparazzi photographers to wait for them to get back inside the vehicle. Mostly because Rian believed they were already at their places of business, trying to come up with juicy little hints of gossip to spread through the country until Vic makes his announcement tonight.

"It's better than them sending you home."

"Oh, but is it a bad thing?"

"Well, it's like you're kind of an advisor. But you have to follow Parliament's rules. How they want you to act in public, how they want you to dress, how they want you to conduct business with both us and them, it's like. . .you're in training."

"Training?" Kellin asked and Vic just gave a shrug in response.

"Are we going to the palace next?" Kellin asked in excitement.

"Yeah, it's gonna be so cool. I'm gonna show you the garden and I'll teach you all the secret passageways and where they go, we can go to the kitchen and ask Jean for some of Tino's sugar cookies--"

"Ahh, don't talk about it, I can't wait!" Kellin squealed.

"You're gonna love it, Kells." Vic said, grinning at the boy beside him.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Vic leaned forward, pointing eagerly, "There's your home!" Vic replied and Kellin craned his neck as far out as he could, eyes widening as the limo drove through steel gates up a stone pathway. The lawns were huge and green, gorgeous and lush. The trees were large, giving up so much cool shade that Kellin just wanted to hop out of the limo right now and fall underneath it to feel the cool grass on his skin. The palace. . .it was gorgeous. It was large as well, Kellin couldn't imagine what it would be like to play hide and seek there. He actually began to feel sorry for the scowling advisor beside him, it must take him hours before Vic decided he wanted to be found.

. . .But it still looked like so much fun and he wanted to play hide and seek--

"When we come inside, you are to be on your best behavior. Do not run off, do not touch anything and do not open any doors that you don't know where they go," Rian hissed in Kellin's ear and he jumped, looking over at the advisor and giving a slow nod. Vic just rolled his eyes and the door opened for Kellin and the prince to get out and begin their walk up the steps to the entrance. The cool air felt so gentle against Kellin's skin, the roses alongside the steps smelled so sweet. He wondered how far the farm was from the palace, he was rather hoping they'd pass by it but apparently it wasn't along the way.

The doors were huge, opening up and they all stepped inside into a large magnificent foyer, red carpet and walls looking like they were drenched in a glossy honey. There was artwork all over the walls, of different rulers and each person depicted in the paintings was dressed in such beautiful regal garbs that Kellin had his jaw hanging in shock and awe. He saw Rian walking in front of him, Kellin snapping out of his stupor to quickly follow after the advisor as the brunette began to speak.

"This is the main entrance hall leading to the West Wing and the Grand Ballroom which is off limits for you," Rian replied harshly and Kellin felt someone tugging at his hand, looking over his shoulder to see Vic smiling a silly and mischievous grin at Kellin's confused face. He began to tug the boy down a separate hall, Rian rambling rules of the palace to no one behind him and Vic was grinning as he pulled Kellin down another hall which was lined with suits of armor that looked polished to perfection.

"Now that we got you away from that prude, let me show you something really cool," Vic said, grinning. He took Kellin's hand, making him blush and he led him up about three flights of stairs before Kellin asked where they were going.

"You'll see later," Vic said, squeezing Kellin's hand.

They came upon a wooden door that Vic opened to reveal a dusty old place. There were old bookshelves with a few books in it and cobwebs littered parts of the ceiling. The walls were a deep scarlet and Vic pointed to a window on the floor.

"This window faces the meeting room. Let's go see what they're up to," Vic said, kneeling and peering through the window. Kellin did the same and he saw two men shouting at each other. They could hear their yelling even through the window.

"I will not stand for this! This is against Parliament's wishes!"

"Since when are you to listen to what any of them have to say, you pompous-"

"O-ho! Don't test me if you know what's good for you," the larger man growled out, glaring daggers at the slim man who was only returning his stare. He was slim and very handsome and poised.

"Who are they?" Kellin asked and Vic bit his lip, pointing over to the larger man with face turning red and pudgy head looking like a swelled tomato.

"That man over there, that's Lord Aldrich Kusterbeck. His daughter is one of my potential consorts," Vic murmured, looking over, "That man over there," Vic gestured to the tall and slim man, "That's the Duke of Veilenne, Miguel Preciado. . .I don't know why he's here, I've never heard that he has a daughter."

"We are higher up than you are in succession to the throne so my child deserves as much of a chance as your child does," the Duke continued to speak and Lord Kusterbeck's face grew red, his eyebrows furrowing hard and lips curved into a pout.

"But Parliament does not--"

"You can't change who the prince will fall in love with, especially since it is obvious that he does not want a queen consort," the Duke replied coolly and that was when Kellin froze, looking at Vic. The prince's eyebrows were raised and he tensed up. Lord Kusterbeck stood, face enraged and heated.

"You always were one to try and pull tricks, Preciado. You'll see! We will have a queen!" he shouted at the top of his lungs before stomping out of the room. The Duke smiled wickedly, sticking hands into his pockets.

"My son shall be seeing your daughter tonight when the prince falls in love with him!" the Duke called out and Kellin's eyes widened.

A. . .a boy was a possible consort?
♠ ♠ ♠
Omfg I'm updating too fast I'm sorry.