Status: Updated maybe once a week.

Royally Screwed

Chapter Twenty Seven

It was with a forced and faked laugh that Jaime Preciado gave as he slung an arm around Kellin's shoulders that Thursday afternoon, telling the young prince that he wanted to have some 'man to man' talk with Kellin before their little rendezvous in the garden and rushed Kellin away before Vic could do anything about it. The way Jaime's arm feels around him, tense and stiff, strong and could break him like a toothpick makes Kellin grow nervous and Jaime was taking large and big strides, Kellin only struggling to keep up with the marquess. They stopped once they were outside on the veranda, Jaime turning to give Kellin a glare. But it wasn't intimidating, it looked rather like an angry puppy that had its toy taken one too many times.

"What did you and His Highness do last week? I've heard talk you went to Francesca."

"That's between Vic and me, Jaime," Kellin said sternly and the marquess crossed his arms.

"If you think you're going to win, Princess, think again."

"I'm not a princess. And maybe if you stop thinking that Vic is a prize to be won, he might give you a second chance!" Kellin gritted. Course, he knew the prince detested Jaime so much he probably wouldn't and only think it's just another dumb ruse. Jaime frowned, "I treat him like a human being. I just don't understand why he favors you and not me. I mean, I'm way bigger and stronger than you are, I'm rich, I have land and a title to my name, I'm gorgeous-"

"But none of that stuff matters to Vic."

"You better stop what you're doing, Princess," Jaime paused and sighed, "My own family already doesn't think highly of me, I don't need you ruining everything even more."

Kellin raised an eyebrow, slowly stepping forward and placing a hand on Jaime's arm, "What?"

"Nothing. I'm going to see the prince now," Jaime replied but Kellin tugged him back.

"No, Jaime wait, do you want to talk?"

"Not to you, to Prince Vic."

"I mean about your family."

"None of your business, Princess," Jaime said sternly, trying to wrestle himself away from Kellin's grip but Kellin held on tight.

"Please Jaime?"

"No. Let go of me."

"But-"

Jaime broke free, looking at Kellin with stern eyes and frown, "You're not supposed to want to help me. We are enemies, okay? Fighting for His Highness' love and I'm not going to lose to you," Jaime said and turned fast on his heel to stomp away. Kellin watched the marquess depart, worry in his heart. Jaime. . .was Jaime trying to prove himself to his family? Maybe there was more to the Preciados than what he initially thought. He had to talk to someone about this little encounter. He gave a small sigh, turning and walking back inside, passing Rian along the way and he paused.

"Rian?" Kellin called out and the advisor turned to raise an eyebrow, "Could you. . .request someone to come to the palace?"

"Someone like who?"

"Sierra Kusterbeck?" Kellin asked and Rian crossed his arms, humming.

"I suppose I can call. . .why do you want to see her?"

"I just want to talk to her about something."

"Well if it's just to talk, I'll set up a phone call," Rian replied, walking over and beginning to usher Kellin towards a room. Kellin couldn't help but take note of Rian's demeanor ever since Vic took him to Francesca. The advisor seemed cautious with him, like he was treading on thin ice. He hoped Parliament didn't have a problem with him going to Francesca, it wasn't romantic in the slightest. Yet, Rian's attitude completely changed. He was more quiet, more gentle and more patient and Kellin wasn't sure why, he just hoped the advisor wasn't secretly mad at him.

The two entered the room, Rian guiding Kellin to a black telephone and began to dial the Kusterbeck's household. Kellin wondered how that must be like, getting a call from the Royal Palace. He'd be absolutely shocked if the President had called his home. Rian waited and then began to speak, "Good afternoon, I am calling on behalf of Mr. Kellin Quinn. Is Lady Sierra Kusterbeck there?" Rian paused and hummed, "Thank you," he replied and then handed the phone to Kellin, "Just wait until she answers."

Kellin placed the phone to his ear, hearing hushed whispers before Sierra's voice in its quiet tone said, "Hello?"

"Hi Sierra."

"Kellin?"

"I just wanted to ask you something. About Jaime and his family," Kellin said and he heard Sierra give a tiny scoff.

"And what? Because my family hates his family, you think I'm some kind of goddamned expert?"

"Kind of," Kellin admitted sheepishly and Sierra sighed.

"What do you want to know about?"

". . .When I went to see Parliament, they said the crown is going to be relinquished to the Duchess of Siren. Just who is she?"

Kellin knew Sierra was making herself comfortable, he figured he'd do the same as he sat down at the comfy desk chair, "The Duchess of Siren is Jamie Preciado. She's beautiful, just as devious and cunning as a Preciado is. Honestly, I'd be worried if her and her spouse became king and queen. A lot of people would lose money and land under their reign, only the wealthy friends of the Preciados would really get any benefits. She's intelligent, she knows politics, she knows the Royal Family inside and out. . .Jaime isn't any of those things. He's beautiful yes, he's a charmer, but that's it. She's the real package."

And it slowly began to click in Kellin's mind. "Poor thing. . ."

"Jamie?"

"No, Jaime."

Sierra snorted, "What are you giving sympathy to Jaime for?"

"Because he's trying to prove himself to his family," Kellin murmured. If he was right on his hunch. The Duke worked in a deal with Parliament if Jaime got in, the crown would just shift over to Preciado power into Victoria's hands and she can produce heirs to keep the succession of future princes and princesses to come.

But why? Why would Parliament agree to give the Preciados the crown when it felt like everyone knew what they would do if they gained control?

"Why would Jaime try to prove himself? He tries to be intelligent but he's just far too ignorant to even challenge someone like Jamie. . .oh. . ."

And Sierra slowly began to see too, "Oh no. . .they're using him."

"What?"

"Think about it. Jaime is so sure that if he marries Vic, he'll be able to have a say in how Miridia is ruled and run. He'll look like the real prize of the Preciado family instead of Jamie. . .but Parliament doesn't want someone that can't produce heirs. Bet that the Duke didn't tell Jaime that though, bet he just buttered him up thinking that Parliament wanted him to become consort and didn't even mention Jamie."

Kellin bit his lower lip, he did have a point. But Jaime. . .if all of this was to just show his family that he could be just as much of a Preciado as Jamie was, he's going to get so hurt when they just pass the crown over his head and onto hers.

"Kellin, that's why I like you. You always want to help everyone but honestly, what can we do? He isn't going to listen to you cause you're the 'enemy', he isn't going to listen to me cause I'm a Kusterbeck, his family isn't going to inform him on what they're really planning, what can we do?"

". . .Maybe Vic-"

"His Highness has been trying to chase him away ever since the first dinner, what makes you think Jaime wouldn't just believe Prince Vic was trying to get rid of him again?"

Kellin just sighed, he didn't know what to do. He had no idea at all. As much as he disliked Jaime, he understood the marquess' predicament and he deserved to know the truth. It was a cruel thing the other Preciados were doing, lying to Jaime when Jaime was working very hard and trying his best to impress all of them. "You want me to give you another etiquette lesson? I'm not doing anything," Sierra offered and Kellin shook his head.

"No, I have studies I need to catch up on. . .I'll, uh, talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay. . .see ya."

Kellin was wandering through the halls, his lessons on Miridian agriculture and the environment completed and leaving him a rather tired and bored soul. He wished that he had only fun things to learn in tutoring, but it was just the same as back home in America. Only there weren't little distractions to have while the teacher gave a lesson, passing notes to one another, smiling and laughing at classmates. Kellin wondered if any of his classmates took notice that he was gone, he wasn't a popular kid but he did manage to hold onto some few close friends as they went through school together.

He passed by Tony, the servant carrying a letter that he gave a little wave with smile on his face, "Got another letter from 'you' to your guardian," he replied and Kellin bit his lip. While he was grateful that Tony was helping him out, he was only nervous about how much despising there must be for Vic and just who these people were. And he didn't know how his stepdad was taking the letters now, Tony already one out after the initial one and his stepfather hasn't replied back. Possibly ignoring them, possibly just throwing them into the fire as soon as they get into his hands. Tony smiled even more, "His Highness is waiting for you in the ballroom."

"The ballroom? Why there?" Kellin asked and Tony began to give him a playful nudge in the direction of the ballroom with smile growing bigger and wider, looking reminiscent of a Cheshire Cat.

"You'll see! Go on, rude to keep royalty waiting!" he shouted out and quickly turned on his heel to dash away before Kellin could ask anymore questions. He gave a sigh, turning and walking to the ballroom just as Tony had said. He'd never been inside, only peeked through the opening in the door while the servants were having it cleaned. It was a magnificent ballroom, with a large crystal chandelier hanging dead in the center. On the ceiling were gorgeous designs and paintings of clouds and the blue skies, when the chandelier was lit it made it look like a heavenly glow was coming through the ceiling. The windows were tall and let in so much light that only one could be open and the room would be bathed in the sun. The floor was a creamy marble and Kellin bet if the floor was perfectly polished, it would be the most fun to slide across.

Making him all the more curious as to why Vic was waiting for him there.

He finally reached the tall doors, opening and peering inside to see Vic was pacing around the middle of the floor and turned his head at the sound of the door opening. He smiled, Kellin coming inside and walking up to the young prince, "What did you want me to come here for?" Vic asked, beating Kellin to the question before Kellin could ask it himself and the American boy grew even more confused.

"I was going to ask you the same thing."

"That can't be right. Kim said that you had something to ask me and you'll be waiting in the ballroom."

"Tony told me that you would be waiting in the ballroom," Kellin said and Vic's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He opened his mouth to speak but then paused as something flowed into both of their ears. Trumpets were blaring loudly from a source of sound Kellin could not locate, the strings of violins and cellos trilled and elongated their notes and melodies. He could see a smile coming over Vic's lips, a shake of his brunette head.

"Looks like we've got a trick played on us," Vic murmured, though it almost was hard to hear him, his voice seemed to drown in the sounds of music all around them.

"What kind of trick is this?"

"An innocent one. . .though it sets up for something nice," he said and stepped forward, taking Kellin's hands into his warm, white gloved ones, "We can practice our waltz."

Kellin had no doubt Vic already knew how to do a waltz, no doubt the prince was already taught how to do an array of dances in hopes of using them to court an impressive woman or amaze some other dignitaries. Yet Kellin found himself shaking in nerves as Vic's hand found its place on his waist, a gentle squeeze as Vic raised Kellin's other hand with his own and pulled their bodies close. "I-I haven't had much practice."

"It's okay. I'll lead," Vic said, taking a step forward and Kellin instantly following with a step back. A step to the right for Vic, a step to the left for Kellin. Almost as if he wasn't even thinking, Kellin's eyes weren't locked onto his feet like they had been when he danced with Sierra. They were locked on Vic's eyes, those eyes that were locked on his own blue and shy ones as they danced. In them, they were confident, gentle, loving and guarding. Like Vic was trying to give Kellin reassurance, to not be afraid and just trust him. He supposed it must be working, since Kellin's feet seemed to move faster with the time of the music and Vic was able to twirl Kellin and bring him back close to his body without a single misstep. Kellin wasn't sure how, he just moved with Vic, followed his every step like he was his shadow and it made everything else fall in so beautifully.

Halfway through, Kellin began to recognize the music. Recognize the slow and dream-felt melody and his mind is taken back to that of his childhood. Of watching Princess Aurora and Prince Philip, the two of the dancing in the forest, the Sleeping Beauty and her prince together as the melody Vic and Kellin were now dancing to played. He remembered after seeing them dance trying to do it himself, just ending up spinning around the room with a teddy bear meant to be his prince until he fell down to the floor in a dizzy haze. His mother found him, laughed a little at his silliness before she and him danced, Kellin not much leading but his mother spun around with her little four year old all the same. And he remembered his father coming home to the two of them, on the floor still laughing and dizzy from all that spinning before he decided with a grin he wanted to have a dance with Kellin's mother. And Kellin watched them with baited breath, watched how they didn't move as wide or as graceful or as animated as Princess Aurora and Prince Philip did. It was a slow and quiet dance, of just his mother resting her head on his father's chest as they slowly stepped from side to side in a tiny little circle, his big arms wrapped around her waist holding her tight.

Kellin loved Sleeping Beauty and her dance with her prince.

But the dance he saw his parents share was even more beautiful.

"There are words to this song," Kellin mentioned as Vic twirled him again and the prince hummed.

"I never remembered words in the ballet," Vic replied.

"You've seen it?"

"We visited Russia once. Just me, my grandfather and my father. And it was really long ago, think I was only four or five. And I didn't pay much attention to it either, all I remembered was that I was in my father's lap at the end just waking up from a dream."

"Do you remember your dream?" Kellin asked gently. It felt like Vic and him were dancing in the clouds, lost in their own little world. What magic it would have been if his plain clothes began to change the shades of pink and blue just as Sleeping Beauty's did. He felt it would only add to the magical feeling he already feels brewing in his heart. Vic gave a rather slow nod, like the memory was there but only in parts, "I remember a ballerina. She was in white and she tried to get me to dance. I didn't want to though so she brought out another little boy to dance with her instead. And this little boy, I can't really place his face. . .he looks so familiar now but I can't place where I've seen him. But all I knew was I was growing jealous the longer I watched the two of them dancing."

"Of the little boy?"

"Of the ballerina," Vic answered, his eyes averting Kellin's for the first time since they began dancing. It felt like the song was on loop. Or maybe it already ended but Kellin kept playing it in his mind. No, surely not. The music just seemed to be even louder, drowning out the other world around them completely. "I was jealous of her. Because the little boy. . .I liked him. It was a strange dream really, me liking a boy that I never even met before. But he was. . .beautiful. He reminded me of a little bird, he was so small and he always laughed and smiled. His skin was pretty too, so was his hair, just everything about him. Especially his eyes. . .I think I could just look in them all day."

Kellin smiled, "You know, you're so full of surprises."

"How so?"

"One moment you can be the most un-charming, stubborn and impulsive prince that I've ever known. And the next moment, you can be charming, kind, gentle. Just a dream."

"I don't think of myself as a dream," Vic murmured and looked deeply in Kellin's eyes, "If anything you're a dream. It feels like you really can't exist. . .and I just don't want to wake up."

His hand on Kellin's waist tighten, almost acting out of fear that Kellin would just disappear or run away but Kellin's other hand squeezes Vic's. It gives the prince reassurance, that Kellin wasn't just going to disappear. And at this, Vic seemed to loosen up even more and his feet began to take Kellin all over the ballroom, the two of them laughing and smiling brightly. "What are the words? Sing them to me?"

Kellin bit his lower lip, shy blush on his face, "Um. . .I know you, I've walked with you once upon a dream. . .I know you, the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam. . ."

Vic gave Kellin another spin, moving slower and those brown eyes holding onto Kellin's eyes so tight, like he was so enamored by them, so deeply lost in them and Kellin felt his heart thudding in his chest as his lips tried to find the words, "Yes I know it's true, that visions are seldom all they seem. But if. . ." His words trailed off, Vic stopped moving and just holding Kellin there, the chandelier right above them and the music even seeming to fade. Vic's eyes searched Kellin's, he can't ignore that there is such love in the warm brown eyes. Such wanting, such admiring, such passion that Kellin can't tear his gaze from no matter how much he wished he could. Vic's hands were gentle, the one that held Kellin's hand and lead him now slowly moving to cup his cheek. Kellin almost shuddered at the feeling, Vic's thumb running over and swiping across his cheek.

The rosy tint in Vic's cheeks is what Kellin notices next, rosy like when they were at the Francesca Grounds. Rosy when Kellin opened his eyes from making a wish, after smelling that heated scent of candied fruits lingering over his lips. Shyness but Vic truly wanted to keep going, Kellin wasn't sure. Would Vic really do it? When they have Parliament trying to keep close tabs on the both of them. Could Vic really be admitting that. . .he loves Kellin? No, that couldn't be it, but Vic's face was inching closer now, his other hand creeping up to cup his other cheek and hold his face completely still. Kellin couldn't run away if he wanted to and he wasn't even considering the idea of it. His heart was thudding fast, he could feel the warmth of Vic's breath over his lips. A sweet smell of cherries and tarts came to mind, Kellin's lips parting just in the slightest as if expecting to bite right into the treats and take a nibble.

And Vic's lips found their way onto his.

The prince's lips were soft, Kellin never kissed anyone regardless of gender. Compared to Jenna who kissed more boys than Kellin could count, he was still innocent. Vic. . .his first kiss. A prince as his first kiss nonetheless, how many people could say that? And he found himself nervous, not sure of what to do. He wonders if Vic had kissed someone before, Vic feels more experienced in this though, his lips are gentle and moved slowly to take in the lower lip and gently suck on before his tongue slipped though Kellin's parted lips. Warmth, Vic's tongue twirled in Kellin's mouth as if it was doing its own little waltz. Sweet tasting as well, Vic tasted like the sweets he always consumed. Like a complete mixture all in one.

Kellin's hands didn't even know what to do. They first went stiff at his sides in shock, then fidgeted up and down as if he was trying to take flight like a bird. Then they went up, hands resting on Vic's suit jacket-clad chest. Vic's lips meshed with Kellin's, sliding and slipping and becoming wet and red but the kiss was as innocent as can be. Just that Vic was increasingly kissing Kellin harder, like he's waited too long for this and was going to try and make it last as long as he could before taking in a breath of air, expecting Kellin to do the same. Kellin could only give a little whimper before Vic is pulling back with their lips making a gentle and innocent 'pop', cheeks fully flushed red. He looked into Kellin's eyes again, searching them to answer the love in his eyes. Love. Vic was absolutely in love with Kellin, it just all became so clear and Kellin couldn't find his voice. But as his lips tried to form words, as a sound tried to croak from his throat, Vic leaned down and kissed him again.

His eyes were closed, Kellin seeing his lashes and how pretty they looked. He felt Vic's arms squeezing his waist tight against his body, like Kellin's father squeezed his mother's waist tight in his big arms compared to Vic's lean ones. And he remembered his mother's head against his chest as they turned to the melody of the music, only stopping when she needed to work on preparing dinner. She raised her hands to his face and kissed him, pulling back with a smile. Kellin's hands clenched tight to the front of Vic's suit, afraid to move but he wanted to touch Vic's skin. Touch and hold his face as the prince kissed him. Slowly, ever so slowly and cautious, he felt his grip lightening and begin to make his hands up to Vic's jaw as his eyelids slowly began to fall closed and let him self be drifted off to that place in the clouds where Sleeping Beauty and her prince danced.

But before his fingertips could even touch Vic's skin, the music abruptly stopped.

Kellin broke away, turning his head to find Rian was there looking dead straight at them. The quiet demeanor Kellin saw before was now replaced with disappointment, with frustration and with a mild anger. Fear flew into his heart, Kellin not sure whether to run or to sputter out an apology or just do both. Vic's face was unchanged, his grip around Kellin's waist not loosening in the slightest.

"How could you?" Rian said, voice and tone just so upset and his eyebrows furrowed, "After their warnings, you go and-"

"I don't care anymore," Vic said and this only made the advisor grow even more angry.

"You don't care? You don't care? How dare you say something like that! You don't care about your people? You don't care if they end up starving or be thrown onto the streets! Because I assure you, that's what will happens when the Duchess and her husband are crowned!"

"You know Parliament doesn't want me to be king! I'm just giving them what they want!"

"So you're just going to throw it all away! Throw it all away on this boy! Your father's legacy, his work-"

"Don't bring my father into this!" Vic screamed, tugging Kellin like he was a rag doll and Kellin felt his head spinning. What were they yelling about? What was going on? He was scared, he was confused, he wanted to get away so badly but Vic's grip was so tight. He almost felt he couldn't breathe, his breath was coming out short and quick. "My father would have supported me! He would have supported us! Why can't none of you just let me be!"

"Because it isn't about you anymore, Vic! It's about what's best for your country and if your father was here, he'd say the same!"

Kellin broke away, looking at Rian and Vic with worried eyes. Vic's expression grew cold, sad and hurt and Kellin just didn't know what to do. The kisses had dizzied him, he lolled to the side until he caught his footing but everything else had him in a daze and he felt the room was just spinning to fast. And his legs picked up and began to run, he could hear Vic calling out his name but he didn't stop. He pushed past the small crowd of servants that were gathered and watching at the door, hearing Kim shout out a 'So close!' along with shouts from Jean and Tony of his name but he didn't stop. He ran down the hall, up the spiral staircase and to his bedroom and slammed the door shut.

He fell against it, his knees curling to his chest as he buried his face down. He didn't mean for this to happen. Something big between Parliament and Vic now, something that could put the country at risk of going to the Preciados all because of him. He just wasn't sure what, why, how could they? Why didn't they want Vic to be king? Oh, if Parliament found out about this he'd have to sign the order for sure. All he knew was that he was sorry. He was sorry, he didn't mean for all of this to happen. He didn't mean to have fallen in love with Vic, he didn't mean for Vic to have fallen in love with him. He didn't mean to have disrupted the business of picking Vic's consort, he didn't mean to make Parliament's job of dealing with Vic even more hectic than ever, he didn't mean causing Rian so much stress and so much anger, he didn't mean any of this.

He just wishes this would all go away, he just wishes that things wouldn't hurt so bad as they did.

He wish. . .
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so there it is, the moment you've all been waiting for. Shit's goin' down though. Sorry for the 3920372 mistakes srsly when people point out my mistakes in chapters i'm jsuT I GET SO DKCSSDNKKJSD I'LL FIX IT I'M SORRY DCHJDEKE.