Status: Updated maybe once a week.

Royally Screwed

Chapter Thirty One

The day dragged on slowly for Kellin. Tutoring was rather boring though he did learn that somewhere in Miridia, near the farm, there was a high gray brick tower with only one window, just like Rapunzel's tower, Kellin imagined. It was used as a lookout for the Royal Army back in the day when Miridia was at war. Kellin thought that he'd like to see that tower someday but no one could take him. Vic couldn't take him for obvious reasons and he was sure that after taking him to the farm, Rian wouldn't want another trip with him somewhere.

Kellin was currently in the Etiquette Room sitting on one of the cream colored couch chairs, waiting for Sierra. Rian assigned him another lesson but Kellin knew he and Sierra weren't actually going to do what they had to do. She'd probably ask about what happened with Parliament and then yell about how it's not fair and then Kellin would just say there's nothing they could do about it. He was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the doors open and to his surprise, in walked the Marquess of Isle de Pierre, Jaime Preciado but the expression on the taller man's face wasn't the usual cocky, handsome smirk. The marquess looked rather nervous and he was chewing on his lip. It was very unlike him.

"Princess-uh, I mean. . .Kellin. May I have a word with you?" Jaime said, standing at about two feet away from the shorter boy.

"What is it?" Kellin asked, truly curious as to what Jaime had to say. The marquess wasn't looking at him, eyes on the floor instead and hands fiddling with each other.

"Y-you're the only one who would listen. I have no one else to turn to and, uh. . ." Jaime said, trailing off but finally looking at Kellin.

Kellin stood up, placing a hand on the marquess' shoulder,"It's okay, Jaime."

"I want to talk. . .about my family," Jaime said, voice shaking a bit.

Kellin smiled reassuringly. He guessed Jaime wasn't completely a vicious, cruel monster after all. He got vulnerable too. "Sure, I'll listen. I'll try and help. Let's sit."

For quite some time, Jaime talked about how he didn't think he was good enough and about his father who favored Jamie and about his cousins who whispered nasty words behind his back. He talked about how he had been feeling the most inferior in the Preciado family for years and how he knew everyone thought he was an imbecile and was only good for his looks. He talked about how he thought he wasn't good for anything and how no one thought he was either. Kellin just sat there and listened, hanging on to the marquess' every word and he understood how Jaime was feeling. Left out. Alone. Mistreated. Just like back in Florida. It was a terrible feeling.

"What do I do?" Jaime asked, burying his face in his hands.

"Jaime, you do know that you don't have to marry Vic to impress your family, right?"

"I know, I know. I want to marry His Highness because I'm in love with him. This isn't all just an act. I do love the prince."

Kellin's face fell at this. So Jaime really was in love with Vic. He thought he was only doing it for the fame and fortune, and then for his family but no, he really did love Vic.

". . .Kellin, what do I do?"

Kellin sighed and looked at Jaime, "I think. . .Uh, since you do love Vic and you want to impress your family, you should marry Vic. That way, you'll be happily married and you'll be impressing your family."

"His Highness loves you, not me. I can't do that."

"Jaime, I know you've heard about about what Parliament told me. Vic and I can't talk to each other anymore. He'll fall out of love with me in no time," Kellin said, fighting back tears because in the back of his mind, he knew it would happen sooner or later. No matter how much Vic persisted and no matter how much it hurt, they weren't allowed to be together.

"That's not true. I see the way he looks at you, it's like you're the only person in the room. I wish he'd look at me like that," Jaime said, the last sentence almost a whisper and Kellin didn't think Jaime knew he heard that.

"He will, in due time. Y-you're not who I thought you were. I used to think you were heartless and selfish but you're not all that bad, really. Vic will see that side of you someday if you let him," Kellin said, forcing a small smile.

"Thank you, I appreciate that a lot," Jaime said, a smile on his face for the first time since he went in the room.

"No problem."

"So, uh, I have somewhere to be. I'll see you around sometime. I might have lunch with you later, if you'd like," Jaime said, getting up from his seat.

"Company is always nice," Kellin said, smiling.

"Alright, goodbye, Kellin. Thanks again," Jaime said, waving and making his way out of the room but right when the marquess opened the door, he saw Sierra on the other side who gave him a confused look as if she were wondering why he was in there. Jaime just nodded at her then walked past her rather quickly. Sierra watched the marquess leave before going in the room, eyes laying upon Kellin.

"What was he doing in here?"

"We talked. . .about things."

"Was he taunting you again? Because if he were, screw this whole girly attitude, I'd beat that little prick into a pulp."

"No, no. Sierra, he's not really all that bad. He does have a heart and he means well. He does love Vic, he's not marrying him for power or anything."

Sierra's eyebrows shot up and then she took a seat beside Kellin. "What did he tell you?"

"He vented to me about his family. He told me his family isn't very fond of him. He just wants to be accepted."

The girl rolled her eyes, "Kellin, you should stop being so trusting. What if this were all just a ploy of his to get you to give His Highness up?"

"Vic's not mine. We're being kept apart by Parliament. I signed an order. I can't talk to Vic until he's picked a consort."

"What?! That's completely crazy! They can't do that! Vic is in love with you, Kellin. They can't force him to pick a consort when you're the only person he wants."

"What's done is done, Sierra," Kellin said, tone final.

"Kell, you can't let them do this. Don't be a push-over."

"I'm not really following their orders. Uh, Vic snuck out early in the morning to see me and he said he'd keep doing that until they'd let us be together."

"Aw, that's so sweet," Sierra said, her smile a gentle curve of the lips and Kellin just blushed.

"He's going to get sick of me anyway. I'm nothing special. He'll fall in love with
Jaime someday and then they can both be happy. I'm just ruining everything; just making everything more complicated."

Sierra frowned sympathetically and touched Kellin's arm, "You have to believe me when I say that His Highness won't fall in love with anyone else but you. The look on his face when he's with you, it's magical. It's like you're the most beautiful thing he's ever seen in his whole life. And you know what? You probably are. Kellin, you're something else, you really are. Please don't think you're getting in the way."

"You're an amazing friend," Kellin said with a somewhat sad smile and Sierra smiled back and gave Kellin's arm a little squeeze before letting go.

"You deserve to be happy, Kellin."

----------------

After Sierra surprisingly actually gave Kellin an etiquette lesson, it was time for lunch. Sierra had to leave the palace because her father had called for her to attend to something important, much to Kellin's dismay. The teenager was eating his lunch alone in the garden just outside the maze. He slipped his feet out of his shoes and felt the grass beneath his feet, the sound of the water fountain a distant background sound to the music of a few twittering birds. He hadn't seen
Vic once all day after their last meeting and Kellin knew that Rian was probably keeping them from seeing each other.

Kellin was startled by the sound of a marquess' voice, "Hey."

He turned around and there stood Jaime, an unsure smile on his face and the taller man spoke again, "Mind if I join you?"

"I did say company was always nice, didn't I?" Kellin said, finishing with a short giggle. Jaime playfully rolled his eyes and took the seat next to Kellin, the metal chair scraping the green, cut grass beneath. Before either of them could start a conversation, a servant with a tray of food came up beside Jaime and set the tray down in front of the marquess. Jaime thanked the servant with a curt nod and then the servant left.

"What's that sound; running water?" Jaime asked looking around.

"It's a water fountain. Right there's the entrance to the maze and there's a fountain at the center. You've never been in there?"

"No, I haven't," Jaime said, his eyebrows furrowed and his lips in a pout.

"I'll take you in it after we eat, if you want me to," Kellin offered and Jaime shrugged, "Sounds nice."

The two ate in comfortable silence, Kellin finishing his food first. He noticed that Jaime didn't eat the vegetables in his food, only meat. The marquess didn't even eat his dessert of chocolate pudding, save for a few bites. Kellin didn't really want to ask about it because he thought it might be rude to question someone's way of eating. He guessed Jaime was the opposite of a vegan and Kellin wondered for a moment what that was even called but then he pushed the thoughts away as Jaime put down his silverware.

"Come on, let's go," Jaime said, looking pretty excited to venture into the maze and then they got up and entered it.

"It's easy to find the center, all you have to do is follow the sound of the water," Kellin explained but he didn't know if Jaime was listening because he was looking around with an expression of amazement on his handsome face. Kellin could tell he was taking in all of the beauty of the flowers around and the butterflies gliding freely through the air. It was as beautiful as Kellin remembered it but he could've sworn the flowers were more colorful and smelled better, could've sworn the shrubs were homelier and the sun shone brighter when he was here with Vic.

"This place is gorgeous, I bet it would be absolutely amazing to take a stroll with His Highness in here," Jaime said, grinning.

". . .Yes, it would be," Kellin said simply, biting his lip and looking down. He heard the sound of a shrub shake and he looked up to see Jaime, clutching a white rose in his hand.

He plucked some of the petals out of it and said, "I want to give His Highness a whole bouquet of roses someday. I bet he likes flowers."

"Oh yes, he loves flowers very much. You should give him a bouquet, that's a good idea. He told me once that he liked carnations and roses and violets the most."

"I'll be sure to have those in it, then. He'd be thrilled," Jaime said excitedly, "The sound is louder now."

"We're probably almost there, then," Kellin said and suddenly, he felt himself being picked up, Jaime was carrying him through the maze in a sprint and he was sort of scared the marquess might drop him. Finally, they came upon the fountain and Jaime set him down, his feet hitting the ground they so craved.

"Let's jump in," Jaime suggested.

"No, I don't want to!"

"Come on, it'll be fun!"

"It wasn't fun the last time I fell in there," Kellin said, pouting.

"But you won't be falling this time, you'd be willingly submerging yourself," Jaime said, feeling proud of himself for perhaps, saying such a big word.

"Okay, do you even know what 'submerge' means?" Kellin questioned, an eyebrow raised.

"Uh, yeah, of course I do! Now come on, let's get in!"

"No."

"Please?"

"Don't want to."

"Please, Kellin?"

"Nope."

Next thing Kellin knew, he was being swept off his feet by Jaime and dropped onto the fountain, Jaime quickly joining in. The marquess splashed water on him and Kellin couldn't help but laugh and splash back. Pretty soon, they were splashing water and laughing together like little children and Kellin didn't know this funner side of Jaime existed.

"Jaime, Jaime stop! Look what you did, now we're all wet!"

"Killjoy," Jaime remarked, sticking his tongue out and he climbed out of the fountain, taking Kellin's hand to pull the boy along with him. Kellin gave the taller man a playful slap on the shoulder.

"You know, I always thought you were snobbish and snooty and stuck-up but it turns out you like pushing people into fountains and having little sissy water fights," Kellin said, sticking his tongue out mockingly.

Jaime chuckled shortly, "I haven't really done this kind of stuff when I was a kid. It was all tutors I didn't listen to and fancy clothes to dinner parties. I never really got to have fun."

Kellin smiled fondly and remembered, "Vic didn't have much of a childhood either. He'd understand you."

Jaime smiled and walked down the maze and Kellin followed, the both of them leaving a trail of water droplets on the grass and then they found their way back in the palace, Kellin tutting at the muddy trail they were leaving with their shoes. "Jean wouldn't appreciate this mess we're making."

"I'd better head home to dry myself before I make any more mess, then," Jaime said, ruffling Kellin's wet hair.

"Uh, i-if you want to come see me tomorrow, I'll be in the library. I mean, uh, that's only if you want to hang out again," Kellin said, looking down on his shoes.

"Sounds great! I'll see you tomorrow," Jaime said with a brilliant smile gracing his handsome face before he left and for once, he left without laying a single kiss upon Kellin's hand.

--------------

That night, Kellin didn’t know what time it was but he could tell it was dark and he was very tired, and he heard a door open and close and footsteps in his room.

“H-huh?” Kellin croaked out.

“Shh, go back to sleep.” The familiar deep, smooth but rather raspy voice of Vic whispered. The weight on the bed shifted as he slipped under the covers, wrapping his arm around Kellin. The feeling of Vic pressed up against him warmed him up instantly and Kellin rolled over to face Vic, drooping his arm around the prince's waist and resting the other on the pajama-clad chest.

“What time is it?” Kellin asked, still not bothering to open his heavy-lidded eyes.

“Half past midnight. I couldn’t sleep without you," Vic said.

“Mhm," was all Kellin managed to mumble before he nuzzled his nose into the crook of the prince's neck. Vic held him tighter and just as he felt himself drifting back off to sleep, he heard Vic's voice again.

"I love you," Vic said, kissing his forehead softly and butterflies erupted in Kellin's stomach, tickling his insides and he didn't know if he could go back to sleep with this magical feeling.

"I love you more," Kellin said, looking up at the older man and pressing a small kiss against the tan skin of his chin, smiling when he pulled away.

"That's impossible," Vic said, chuckling and they kissed again, their lips moving slowly in a way that showed how deeply in love they were with each other and Kellin couldn't breathe because he was so overwhelmed with feelings and so lost in the kiss. A tan hand found its way to Kellin's pale one and fingers interlaced when Vic broke the kiss a while later.

"I was out in town today. I got you a little something," Vic murmured, their lips just an inch apart.

"What is it?" Kellin asked, curious and Vic pulled away from the embrace, Kellin missing the prince's warmth.

"I'll go and get it in my room," Vic said, climbing out of the bed.

"Okay. I'll miss you," Kellin said, smiling softly.

"I'll be back as fast as I can, I promise," Vic said, taking Kellin's hand in his and kissing the back of it before disappearing into the secret passageway to his room.

Kellin waited for a few minutes, sitting on his bed and Vic came back, panting and tired. He must have ran and Kellin smiled at the thought. In his hand, Kellin saw that Vic had a box about the size of his palm. It was covered in velvet red and had a gold lacing around it. Vic sat beside him smiled at him, handing the box over. Kellin smiled back and whispered a thanks before finally opening it to reveal a gold necklace, a heart as its pendant. Kellin held the golden chain up and the pendant swung back and forth slightly. Vic held the pendant and turned it around to reveal the letter K engraved on it with small diamonds. Kellin stared wide eyed at it, it must have cost a fortune.

"Do you like it?" Vic asked, biting his lip.

"I love it, Vic. Thank you so much but you shouldn't have bought it. It must have been so expensive."

"I had to buy it. You were all I could think of all day, everything around town reminded me of you but that necklace takes the cake. You deserve it," Vic said kissing the pale boy's blushing cheek before continuing, "Here, I'll put it on you."

The prince took the necklace and went behind Kellin, wrapping the gold chain around the boy's neck and then locking it. He turned Kellin's head, making the younger boy look at him and kissed him on the lips briefly.

"I can't seem to get tired of your kisses," Vic said with a chuckle and Kellin said, "That's fine," but in the back of his mind, he knew Vic would get tired of his kisses someday. Vic would get tired of him in general someday and Kellin believed it would be sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it sucks