‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Back to Vancouver

Back to Vancouver

'Come on, Hairy go get your toys.' Mama is sounding really mad at me. 'I have enough to do today without trying to find all your toys. Now move girly. Bring me sox. Go get sox.'

I run up all the stairs to the attic room I usually share with Alpha. Alpha has been a way for ages. I find sox under the bed and run back down the stairs to Mama.

'Good girl now bring me Penguin. Go find your new Christmas toy. Penguin.' Hmm, I have to think about this for a minute. Penguin. I dash down to the family room to give a sniff around. It is behind the couch. I wiggle in, pull it out and run back up the stairs to give it to Mama.

'Good girl, now where is Blankie. Bring me Blankie.' As I search for my blanket, I wonder what is going on. Mama seems to want all my toys. This usually means strangers are coming to the house or I'm going on a trip. Hmmm blankie is in Buster's box. I have been sleeping with him ever since I came to the farm without Alpha. By the time I get back, Mama has put my bowls in my crate and has my harness and leash draped over the top of my crate. I give them a sniff.

'That's right Hairy. You're going back to the city. We've got to make the 845 boat this morning so we can meet Tylyn's plane. Our girl is coming home. What do you say to that?' I give her a yip, which seems to please her. ' Now what are you missing? Bring me ball.'

It's a trip and my Alpha. It's a trip and Alpha.

'Hairy, go get your ball.' Right, ball, now where did I put that thing.

...

'Piet, I'm amazed that the sailing wasn't cancelled. The rain is coming down in sheets and the wind is blowing at gale force strength. It feels like November. I'm just here at the oversized luggage area waiting for Tylyn to arrive. I do hope that she's not having trouble with customs.' I adjust my cel in my hand so I can check my watch again.

'Get her to call us when you get a chance. Gerry is still upset that she won't be back here until next weekend. Maybe a phone call will help him. I won't hold you up. The vet is coming shortly to see about that calf so I'd better get down to the barns. Give our girl a hug from me.'

'I will. Tots ziens, Piet.' I wait until my husband returns the sentiment before I hang up. I look up at the arrival board. Tylyn's flight landed over 35 minutes ago. I can't help but wonder what is taking her so long to get here. I watch a family loading a cart up with their suitcases when I feel an arm slip around my waist.

'Hi Mama,' I lean down to give Tylyn a hug and a kiss. She's wearing the beautiful red coat and beret that Mum brought her back from Paris last year.

'Hello chicken. It's good to have you back.' She hugs me tightly. I know over Christmas that Tylyn was struggling with homesickness while visiting Sid's family in Nova Scotia. He called me several times concerned for her. 'How was your flight? Did you have a hold up going through customs?'

'I had no problems with customs. I cleared them going through Toronto from PIT.' My youngest looks beat. Her colouring is naturally pale but at the moment she looks positively grey. 'It was just really hard leaving 87 behind.'

'I know. Have you called him to let him know you've landed?' I watch her face for clues that she might be sick. It is flu season and she's been travelling through germ-infested areas the past couple of weeks.

'Yeah, that's what took me so long getting from the plane to here. We talked for a while.' She starts looking weepy. This is not my strong independent girl. She is normally a tough fighter. Okay, she's shy around people and new situations but she's not this sad, woebegone, teary thing. It reminds me of when she came home in the summer from her vacation at Madrona where she met Sidney Crosby her now fiancé. Tylyn spend a week crying and emotional. I now know that was because she thought that she would never see him again. But this is not the case now.

'Let's get your bags and then go back to the Kit's house for a cup of tea.' I see the colourful hockey bag Tylyn's brother's gave her get lifted on to the shelf for pick up. 'I'll get this one if you go to the carousel and get your suitcase.'

'Sounds good Mama. I'm glad you came over from the Island. I've missed everyone.'

'I have someone in the car who has missed you very much.' I tease her.

'You left Uncle Gerry in the car?' Tylyn looks at me shocked.

'No, someone else. But Gerry was very upset that you weren't coming back to the farm this weekend. Your Dad and I explained about your day with Kendra and hockey practice. Maybe you can call him as we drive. I know it isn't the same but it will make him happy.'

'Sure. I did try to explain to him but it's been a long time since I've seen him. I'll be right back.' She says as she walks away from me. And I suspect that this will be the first of many long separations for us as a family.

My husband's brother has been living with us on the farm ever since their parents died years ago. Gerry who has Down's syndrome has helped Pieter and I raise our brood of children. He looks upon Tylyn as his own child. I understand how hard this last month as been for him. It was hard the past few years with her travelling with Canada's national field hockey team. When she moved to Vancouver to school two September's ago it was difficult but Gerry and I knew that she was just a ferry ride away. But now when she marries Sid the distance will be that much further. Her trips home will be fewer per year. I hope they don't rush into getting married but rather have a long engagement. Tylyn lifts her suitcase off the carousel and wheels it towards me. I smile at her hoping to encourage a smile from her. No smile.

We walk through the airport, out to the parking lots and towards the Volvo station wagon I'm driving. I whistle and see Hairy's black and white head pop up in the front passenger window. That little brat knows she not supposed to leave the back.

'You brought Hairy over, Mama? Oh thank you. Thank you.' Tylyn hugs me tight. Hairy has now barking her head off. Hairy has been a tonic to sooth Tylyn's soul.

'Let her out she doesn't scratch the door trying to get out.' I use the remote to unlock the car door. Tylyn jogs to the car pulling her case. As she gets closer, Hairy goes wild. I'll have to remember to tell Sid that this deal is going to be a twofer. If he wants one girl, he is going to also get one dog with her. Hairy explodes out of the car when the door is opened. She runs circles around Tylyn jumping and barking.

'Oh Hairy it's good to see you too. Come here let me get your leash on you silly girl.' Tylyn is now smiling and laughing at the little dog. 'Hold still Hairy I can't get a hold of you. Oh really, you're a kissy kid.'

I open the back of the Volvo and lift in the two heavy bags from her journey. Tylyn is sitting on the passenger seat in the front with Hairy on her knee. They are having a conversation. Tylyn is talking to the little dog and Hairy for her part seems to be answering her with moans, groans and yips. It's a touching to watch.

'You might have been home sick for the past little while but Hairy her as missed you since you left. Right, Hairy girl. Hairy's been sleeping with Buster in his box in the mudroom.' I tell Tylyn.

'Really? Oh Hairy, you must have been desperate.' Tylyn laughs.

'Buckle up. Hairy to the back. All the way you go, girl.' The little black and white dog looks at me. 'I'm serious Hairy move it or it will be the crate for you.'

I watch as the dog jumps all the seats and lands up sitting on top of Tylyn's hockey bag. I pull out and drive out of the parking lot to head into the city. We catch up on the news. Tylyn tells me some funny stories from month long trip to visit Sid. It really sounds like she did enjoy herself and has made a few friends. I tell her about a few things on the farm.

'Actually, why don't you give Gerry a call? The cold he caught over New Year's has turned into pneumonia. You know he just doesn't take these set backs well. Remember, people with Down's syndrome often struggle with lung infections.' I look into the rearview mirror. Hairy has jumped in to the back seat. I give her a dirty look. Tylyn uses her old cellphone to call Gerry while I negotiate the city traffic. They talk about life on the farm. Tylyn talks to Gerry about the Penguins last game. Gerry is a huge Pens fan. I hear her explain to him again why she is not going back to the farm this weekend.

'Kendra is only going to be here in Canada for another couple of days before she returns to Scotland. I'll come over next weekend Gerry. My hockey team as a game tomorrow afternoon whereas next weekend they are on the road. Yeah, take your medication Gerry so we can shoot some pucks around.' She looks at me while she talks on the phone. I give her a thumbs up. Gerry needs all the encouragement he can get to take his antibiotics. 'Look Gerry, I'll call you on Sunday so we can watch the game together. Tot ziens.'

'Thanks for the plug for the antibiotics. It's been ages since I've been here. This neighborhood never seems to change.' I pull into the driveway of the house that I grew up in. It brings back many happy memories.' Okay, gals lets go in and see the state of this place.'

'I bet it's a disaster. I left it clean Mama.' As Tylyn unbuckles he seat belt, Hairy flies over the seats to her side. 'Those boys better have cleaned up. I'm not doing it for them. Right Hairy.'

The kitchen is semi tidy. I put the kettle on for a cup of tea and start to clean up the mess as Hairy runs about the house. Tylyn is carrying up the stairs to her attic bedroom. The back yard looks the same. I am pretty sure the house is empty. Jory should be at the VGH doing a shift as a 2nd year Medical student. Caleb and Ewen's hockey is on a road trip this weekend and Noah is still on the island visiting his family. I intend to make good use of this time to talk to Tylyn about what is really bothering her. I love my daughter as much as any of my four sons but she does have a few foibles . Tylyn's last trip in from the car is carrying Hairy's crate. She sets it on the floor and opens the door.

'Give me her dishes and I'll set Hairy up with a bowl of water. She shouldn't be hungry as she ate her breakfast and part of Buster's.' I feel sorry for my husband Pieter's old lab. Buster has taken the brunt of Hairy's boredom and loneliness since Tylyn has been gone. 'Are you hungry, chicken? I've brought a cooler of food from the farm store. I was going to bring it in a bit later but if you're hungry now?'

'I'm not hungry at the moment. I'm tired I guess.' She's looking sad again.

'And a bit emotional?' I ask her.

'Yes it was so hard to leave 87, Mama. I know I missed my life and family here in BC but leaving him. It felt like I was a physical hurt.' I watch of series of emotions cross her face. But that's only part of it, I think. My eye catches again at the little gold ring with the heart shaped red stone on her left ring finger.

'Show me the ring Sid gave you?' I know what Claddagh rings look like but I want a way to start our next conversation. Tylyn looks at her hand then holds it out to me. It's a small heart shaped stone held but to golden hands with a crown at the top. At the moment the crown is facing towards her fingertips. I think Claddagh rings are a Celtic tradition. How the ring is worn depends on what it is to signify. Tylyn is wearing it as an engagement ring. If it were on her right hand it would be a promise ring. I suspect when they actually do get married, Sid will just turn the ring so the crown of loyalty is pointed towards her hand. Tylyn's hands like the rest of her are small but the ring fits perfectly.

'Did Sid have this ring sized for you?' I know that it is a Crosby family heirloom, which Sid's grandfather gave to him. Tylyn did let me the story of how his grandparents could never afford an engagement ring or a wedding band so this little ring became the symbol of their marriage for over 50 years.

'No. It just fit like it was meant for my hand. Weird Huhn? Pappy was very pleased. He gave the ring to 87 after meeting me.' She looks at her hand with tears in her eyes.

'Don't you like the ring?' I am here to get to the bottom of all this sadness. I can't imagine for a minute that Tylyn is unhappy about her engagement to Sid. Let's face it she's been in love with him since we first heard about him in his AAA year. She has been in love with his team long before he was even drafted by the Penguins. She's been in love him since staring at the posters of him that have decorated her room since 2005 when he began playing with the Pens. It would only follow that after meeting her idol this past summer that she would love him more.

'Oh yes Mama. I really do like the ring. I think it's perfect.' She pauses.

'But. I feel a but coming on.'

'It feels like I'm losing me.' I give her time to collect her thoughts. 'I really love Sid. I do. And if you'd asked me in November if I wanted to marry him I'd have screamed YES. But over Christmas with his family.' Tylyn takes a sip of tea from her mug. 'They are really nice. I do like them and his friends but …' her voice trails off.

'But they are not us? ' I think I understand what the problem is. I let Tylyn think about this for another few minutes.

'Yes and no. I missed our family traditions, yes but it's like it's all about me fitting into Sid's life. I know that sounds awful but ' her voice shakes.

'Are you wondering what happens to your wants, your goals and your life plans?' I ask.

'Mama I've worked so hard to get to the National team. I miss hanging out with my friends. When Lego came to visit over New Year's with 87 and I, it just made it worse. Now my teammates are here planning on spring fun league and I'll be in Pittsburgh. I know I got cut from the team last autumn but the board said that I could try out next year.' And there in lies the rub.

'You'll be in Pittsburgh during Fun league?' This is news to me. I thought she'd go for a visit but not the whole season.

'Yeah, 87 and I have a plan.' I raise an eyebrow at her. '87 wants to get married during their 5 day break in early April so I can move out to Pittsburgh before the playoffs start.'

'That's not much time to plan a wedding, chicken.' But I'm getting a head of myself. 'Do you want to get married that soon? Go and stay with Sid by all means but you don't have to rush into getting married. You are both very young.'

'You and dad got married when you were 22. Trina and Troy, 87's parents got married very young. It's not the married I mind or moving to Pittsburgh but what about my dreams and goals? I'm confused, Mama. I really am. I didn't want to leave 87 this morning but at the same time I want my life back.'

Hairy has wandered back into the kitchen after unloading her crate. She has been taking toys out it and depositing them around the house. The little dog puts her head in Tylyn's lap as if she understands the sadness that has engulfed her Alpha.

'Married life, chicken, is all about compromise. It is not the fairytale dream of falling in love and living happily ever after. But learning to compromise and work together because you love each other. I know Sid loves you very much and wants you to be happy. He has called me several times because he's worried about you. Have you told him how you feel?'

'No. He seems so happy. I don't want to upset him.' The relief is evident on her face. 'It's even better just talking about it to you.'

'I know but if Sid is going to be your husband, then you must talk to him. I know you've perfected being the great avoider but this is very important. You two have to work this out together.'

'I know Mama but how? I don't want him to think that I don't love him. I do. I do want to marry him and not leave him ever but there is a part of me that wants to be here with my team, doing my thing.'

'I think if anyone in this world would understand it would be Sid. Look at all the time he has missed with his injuries. Heavens, that was close to two years. I don't think that he'll judge you. Trust him, TALK to him, and the two of you will work out something.' I won't tell her but I know Sid is confused about her emotions. I'm over here talking to her this morning because he called in the middle of our night to ask me to meet her plane. Sid really loves our girl and is trying to help her. They as a couple need to learn to talk to each other.

'So when do you see him next.' If I know anything about this man my daughter is going to marry, it's he is a captain. He is always planning so I know he'll have a plan in place.

'Well, if he gets voted in to the All Star Weekend, I'll meet him in Minnesota. If he doesn't then 87 will come here for his break. Then the Pens play here in Vancouver in mid February so he'll be here for a couple of days. Then my temporary job ends on the 15th of March. I'll go visit him back in PIT for a few days. We were thinking of getting married on April 6th at the farm. We won't have a honeymoon but I'll go back with him to Pittsburgh.'

Hairy whines and gives Tylyn the stuffed penguin toy. It's like she can understand the words that are spoken. She tries climbing on to Tylyn's lap whining the whole time. Tylyn rubs her ears but pushes her back to the floor.

'Not at the table, Hairy. Give me a second.' Tylyn pushes her chair from the table to sit on the floor with her pooch. Hairy crawls right up on to her lap licking her face.

'What am I going to do about you? I thought you were going to be a farm dog.'

'I don't think Hairy is much of a farm girl, chicken. She's happiest with you, her alpha, and I think that you're happy when she's around too.'

...

RHylkema: Talk to each other. Hairy is a big help. This is a twofer deal. Where Tylyn goes; Hairy goes.

Hckybt: Ok, LOL. will skype after game. Thx

RHylkema: have a good game, Penguin.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is a sequel to Chkaddd.

If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment. I'd love feed back.