‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

I Really Do

CS 10 I Really Do.

The last game of our regular season always brings with it an air of excitement for the playoffs to begin but I’m not on the ice playing. I’m still doing rehab for my broken jaw trying to maintain my weight and conditioning. Dana and the EQ guys have made me a full-face visor that I’ve been using the past week. It’s not great but it’s better than sitting on the sidelines. Doc Kapoor says he’ll X-ray my jaw next week and maybe then I’ll be able to take some contact in practice. The press box is pretty full tonight for our home game against the Flyers. The crowd is right into the game and the opening face off hasn’t even happened yet.

‘You ready for the formalities?’ Biznasty joins me at the window seat. He places a water bottle in front of him on the ledge.

‘This is not going to change anything. The eastern conference is pretty much settled. We’ll be meeting the Flyers in the first round of the play offs. This is just going to set the tone for the match up.’ I look at him. We are sitting in fourth place after gaining a bunch of ground with our 16 wins. There was no way we were going to make the third spot in the standings unless Islanders lose their last 4 games. ‘I just want everyone to keep their heads and not take any stupid injuries.’

‘I’m not talking the game, you idiot. I’m talking about you getting married on Saturday. Jeezus, boy and they call me remedial.’ He smacks me gently up the back of my head. ‘Be careful there Butt-boy or I’ll be calling our development coach.’

‘Shit, yeah. I am good. I just haven’t really been too focused on it. Once we take off tonight for Victoria that might be different.’ I feel like a dolt. I have been busy organizing things here for 91 and Hairy when we fly back together on Sunday evening but I actually haven’t thought about the wedding ceremony. I look down at the jumbo-tron to see the Hockey Butt Blues playing on the screen. Oh god that thing is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I just know it. The audience is up dancing, singing along and waggling their butts. ’It’s kinda hard to believe it’s actually going to happen.’

‘It better happen ‘cause I’m not throwing you another bachelor party disguised as a team building exercise. Shit, Lauren was on my case from the moment she heard about “Team Building”. He takes of swig of the water bottle. ‘I don’t think I’m cut out for the third line. Drinking water through games instead of beer just doesn’t seem worth it.’

‘Yeah, well enjoy it while you can because your development coach is going to be on task as of Monday am.‘ I laugh at him as I toast him with my bottle of water. ‘Hey Lauren was talking to you. That’s good news isn’t it?’

‘It’s an improvement but she’s not listening to me yet.’ He looks glumly down as the crowd stands for the national anthems.

‘You’ve got a start of a conversation buddy so be happy.’ I stand as I watch the flag circling the arena.

The anthems end and we regain our perch at the window. The puck drops and Jokinen loses the draw to Giroux. The hard hits and the cheap shots start early. Glass is caught out of position and is leveled by Schenn. I knew it was going to be one of those games.

‘So how many of us are flying out tonight. I know you’ve got the bus and plane organized.’ We lean back from the glass as another heavy hit lands Beau into the boards. ‘That’s going hurt the kid.’

‘Let’s see Dan, Ray, Duper, Tang, Kuni, Flower, Brooksy, Cookie, and Addsy are all just bringing their wives. You know about Nealer, Malkin and Mike. Then the four old folks.’ I pause.

‘Don’t let Mario and Ron their wives hear you call them old folks. They’ll set fire to your ass and would be a challenge for even Smokey the Bear to contain.’ I give him a dirty look.

‘No, I mean our friends, Alice, Jean, Morty and Harvey.’ I spot them in the crowd. ‘Biz, do me a favour and help watch out over them this weekend. It’s going to be a lot of travel for them in a short amount of time. The Lemieux kids are coming.’

‘I can do that. Plus it might even score me some points with the skirts.’ He gives a conspiratorial laugh. ‘You’re family’s on the plane tonight too?’

‘Only Dad and Tay. Mom flew out a couple of days ago with my Pappy and a couple of aunts and cousins. She wanted to make the journey easy on him. I wanted Pappy to stay home but he wasn’t having anything to do with it. He said he’d die if he didn’t get a chance to dance at my wedding.’

‘Shit when I’m his age I hope to have half his gumption.’ Biz says as we watch the puck take a nasty bounce behind Flower. Crap. The first period is over and we’re down 1-0. ‘Now I just want to phone in this game and head to the west coast before it gets too bad.’ Me too I think.

………

People are saying that this is going to be the wedding of the year. The papers have had a couple of short clippings as news got out. It’s hard to sneak in half of a hockey team of very famous players and their wives into town without someone leaking the news. This is Island might not be very small but we are a star struck group. The majority of guests are staying at between the Laurel Point Inn and the Empress Hotel at the inner harbour of Victoria. Penguin has arranged to have charter bus bring them up to wedding tomorrow that should help with the parking at the church. It doesn’t mean that people won’t be renting cars anyway.

I look out over the fields from my bedroom. It’s a gloomy day. There is supposed to be a break in the clouds tomorrow with followed by more rain in the afternoon. I have been praying to every god I can think of to let the rain hold off until the wedding ceremony is over. We’ve organized to have some garden canopies set up in the orchard by the church but it will be cold being so near the water. I’m worried that the older guests will get cold. It hasn’t been the greatest spring yet. At least cherry trees are in bloom and the graveyard still has lots of narcissus and daffs in flower. The tulips are just starting to open and the hyacinths haven’t been eaten to a nub by the deer. Just 36 hours please, Lord that’s all I ask. Just 36 hours.

I can hear voices coming from the kitchen. I smile as Hairy woke up the whole house about an hour ago. I wonder if Tylyn got any sleep last night. I tie my hair up for the day, put on my apron and smile at myself in the mirror. I can’t believe my baby is getting married tomorrow. Who would have thought that of all our children, our youngest would be the first to get married?

‘Morning Mama.’ Tylyn’s hug greets me as I enter the kitchen. She must have been up for a while as the smell of fresh coffee and bacon greets me. Penguin is seated at the table with a huge plate of food in front of him. I’ve only seen him on the TV since he took the puck to his face but he doesn’t look any different. I look under the table. Hairy is sitting between his feet chewing a new toy.

‘Morn’ Chicken. Good morning to you, Sid. Did everything go okay for guests?’ I give him a hug.

‘Yeah. It sounds like everyone got to their accommodation okay. Thanks for letting Alice, Jean, Harv and Morty have one of the cabins. I think it’s going to be much better for them. Alice said to thank you for the groceries in the fridge. She was very touched by the gesture.’ He slathers a piece of toast with blackberry jam. Tylyn will have her work cut for her keeping him filled up.

‘I’m going to go over later and welcome them. I feel bad that I wasn’t there when you guys came in.’ Tylyn is sipping her morning tea. ‘If you’d texted me I’d have met you at the cabin.’

‘Don’t worry about it. They were all very tired. I’m just so used to traveling by plane it isn’t much of a novelty anymore. But I don’t think any of them have ever really flown before. Harv watched out of the window most of the night. I can’t imagine what he saw. Morty chatted for a while with Biz before he dozed off. As for the ladies,’ he laughs. ‘ It was an adventure.’

‘So what are the plans for the day. The rehearsal is at the church at 4pm. Tylyn do you have any plans other than to decorate the barn? Sid what’s on your agenda?’

‘Hmm, I’m going to introduce Mum to the older folks. She said that she was going to offer to take them out for some sightseeing. Is there anything here that still needs to be worked on?’

‘I think that everything is pretty much set for today. When we go over to the church, Kelsey and Sarah are going to meet us there with the vases for the flowers. It won’t take long to put the flowers into them. I ask that we just leave them in the church basement. No one will be there and it will be cool enough. The rehearsal dinner for tonight is all set. My quilting ladies are coming out this afternoon to help with the prep. It’s not going to be fancy. Don’t give me that look, Tylyn, it is expected. It doesn’t mean that you have to stick around all evening. Come have dinner, chat with the people then take off.’ I pour cups of coffee for Piet and Gerry as I see them coming up from the barns. ’Tomorrow is pretty much set to go.’

We’ve worked hard this week finishing off the details. I wanted everything pretty much complete so we can have some time to enjoy ourselves. Tylyn’s keep it simple style has helped out lot. She never has been one for fuss or bother, thank goodness. We have had some disagreements about party momentos, the whole rehearsal dinner and seating arrangements. I am still of the opinion to have organized seating but Tylyn doesn’t think it’s necessary. I feel my eye start to twitch again.

‘Anything I can help with?’ Sid’s question doesn’t surprise me.

‘Help with the barn decorations, would be good.’ I say ‘ Do you have any idea where you’ll be staying tonight? I’m only asking what time you think you’ll be at the church tomorrow. Are we going to see you before the ceremony?’

‘A bunch of guys are staying tonight at Bear Mountain. Biz has arranged for an early morning game of golf for most of us. I was hoping to stay with Mom and Dad in their cabin tonight but that plan might change last minute. We’ll see. With the wedding at 3pm, I want to be at the church about 2pm to greet guests.’ He’s talking to me but watching Tylyn working at the stove. ’Isn’t it bad luck to for the groom to see the bride before the actual wedding?’

‘Oh Penguin that’s just an old wives tale. I don’t think anyone worries but that anymore.’

‘I do. I don’t want any bad luck. I’ll see you tomorrow at the church, okay?’ Tylyn’s so serious about some things and not at all concerned about others. I mentally roll my eyes.

‘Okay, We’ll meet tomorrow afternoon say 3pm?’ Sid grins broadly. I can now see where he is missing a bunch of teeth on the lower right side of his jaw.

‘Yeah, 3pm sounds good.’ Tylyn brings him over a sample of corn bread she’s just taken out of the oven. He pulls her to him and they kiss very sweetly. Hmm. They do make a cute couple.

…..

‘You will not, I repeat not, Paul Bissonette bring him back here tomorrow in any less condition than he’s in right this minute. See that, that is the gold standard. Clean shaven, unmarked, sober, happy, dressed for a wedding. Do I make myself perfectly clear? Do I need to write this down for you in small words?’ I have been dressed down by some of the best in the business. Hell my own mother has taken me to task but nothing has scared me more than this.

‘I promise, I promise. I’ll sleep right beside him if necessary.’ We’re watching the wedding rehearsal in progress. Tygyrl and Sid are standing at the “altar” in the garden outside of the church. The priest is explaining to them the process of wedding ceremony. The altar is really just a couple of plastic chairs but tomorrow we’ll move out a wooden table, some kneelers for the couple and guests. ‘Nothing bad is going to happen. ’

‘Like I believe that.’ Lauren whispers to me.

‘Hey where’s my loonie from our bet? I told you they’d get married before the playoffs.’ I tease her.

‘You’re loonie enough, Bert. You don’t need any extra.’

Mike, Nealer and I drove up from Victoria in time to help the girls decorate the big barn. I’d have called it old but it really isn’t. I tried moving the guys early this morning but they don’t have the same motivation that I do. I’ve been waiting since January to see Lauren again. The barn was full of ladders and laughter when we arrived and by the time we left about an hour ago it was looking pretty swank if you asked me. The rafters have been strung with lots of strands of soft white twinkle lights. The tables have been set with white cloths and place settings. White streamers hang from the support beams and trim the potted cedar trees around the room. The tables have small bouquets of pink, yellow, and purple flowers. I take a photo and post it on twitter with the caption. Dinner for the cows.

Tygyrl introduced us to the crowd of people helping. The only ones I’ve actually sorted out were her brothers and cousins. They all have a look about them. Don’t ask me names as all I know is they are related. Mike seems have found a friend in Kendra the head bridesmaid. She’s pretty little thing. Far to tame for me but Mike seems to be enchanted. I scoped out the joint for Lauren. She’s more my cup of tea rather make that my cup of twisted tea. I’ve been working on getting into her good books.

‘So what’s the punishment if I don’t bring him back looking like a golden boy?’ I am just teasing her. ‘Are you going to whip me? Please?’

‘No but trust me. It will be painful. I’ve been taking premed for the past couple of years and doing volunteer work so I’ve learned a few things. I’ll make your life a misery.’ She sounds tough.

The priest is explaining about the rings. Sid and Tygyrl chose a ring for him when she was out a couple of weeks ago. It’s just a plain gold band. Kendra hands it to Tygyrl. I watch the two dark heads as she puts the ring on his finger. I watch as he puts the small gold ring on her finger. One day I hope that is me. One I hope to stand in front of a priest with Lauren. One day. I look at Mike. I think he’s thinking that exact same thing.

…..

It’s been a whirlwind day, flying in from PIT, meeting up with Mom and Pappy, meeting more of Tylyn’s family, decorating the barn, the rehearsal in the garden, the dinner back at the farmhouse. After dinner all of us girls went down to a local beach for a bonfire. It was cool on the beach but fun. Everyone I’ve met so far is older than me but since our couple of days in Vancouver it doesn’t seem to matter. Kelsey and Sarah, Tylyn’s brother’s girlfriends have been keeping me laughing with family stories. She is so lucky that they are such nice people.

The fire burns and crackles in front of us. Some of the girls are toasting mallow for s’mores, some are roasting wieners and some are just staring into the fire.

‘Where are you two going to stay tomorrow night?’ A voice from across the fire asks.

‘Like I’d tell you. 87 wanted to stay in down town Victoria in one of the big hotels. But I think that I’ve found something much better.’ Tylyn sounds a little embarrassed.

‘Somewhere romantic?’ A different voice asks her.

‘I think so. It won’t matter to me as long as we are together.’ She sighs.

‘Look as long as it has Squidward, Frodo would be fine with it.’ The girls all laugh with Lego.

‘Yeah pretty much.’ She replies.

Hairy is nosing around in the dirt beside me.

‘What have you got there, girl?’ I try to see what she’s digging at.

‘I dropped a marshmallow there a few minutes ago. It had some seaweed on it.’ Sam tells me. ‘Have you known Mike long?’

‘Like forever. He and Sid have been friends since they were playing together when I was little. I think it was before Rimouski. I really haven’t kept track.’ I poke the fire with my stick. ‘He lives mostly in PIT now because he works for the Pens running their youth program.’

‘Hmmm.’ Sam turns the mallow slowly over the glowing coals. ‘I thought he had a girlfriend. Frodo said something to the effect that she wasn’t very nice.’

‘Amy, you mean. I don’t know what happened. I do know that Sid and Mike had a huge fight over it. Now Amy’s nowhere to be seen. No one even mentions her. I think that Amy wasn’t so much interested in Mike as who Mike could introduce her to. Steph Lemieux says that she heard that Amy’s now dating a guy from the Buccaneer’s. Are you interested in him?’

‘No, no. He seems like a nice guy. I’m going to be busy shortly at physiotherapy training and figuring out how to fly back here for field hockey training.’ She pulls the mallow out of the fire to blow out a flare up. ‘I just was confused a bit.’

‘He’s a good guy. People think that he’s a hanger on but I don’t think so. I think that he’s good at working with kids. He’s got a teacher certificate.’ Looking into the flames I think about Tylyn’s cousins.

‘So are you going to keep in touch with Luke and Noah?’ It’s like Sam can read my mind.

‘Maybe. It was fun seeing them today.’ I’m glad it’s dark and Sam can’t see me blush.

‘I would if I were you. Maybe this summer you can come out to work at the farm store. I know Noah, Braden, Thomas and Henny all work there. I’ll bet if you asked Rosalie you could stay in Frodo’s attic. It might be fun.’ She is so encouraging.

‘Maybe.’ Maybe I think but not for the whole summer.

……..

Chkaddd: how was your evening.

Hckybtt: short something

Chkaddd: Really? What? Sleep”

Hckybtt: You. I missed you.

Chkaddd: I missed you too. See you at 3.

Hckybtt: I’ll be the one by the priest.
………

The wind off the bay ruffles the cherry blossoms above our heads and a few float down and land on the ground around us. I have never seen a place quite as picturesque as this. From where we are sitting, I can see the ocean in the distance. The old white washed church has been well placed to catch the early morning sun. Our chairs are placed out in an orchard beside the church. A makeshift altar with it’s white table cloth and gold cross sit in front of us. Huge vases of fresh flowers adorn either side of this stage. Kneelers for the wedding party and chairs have been placed just in front of it. A wooden lectern stands to one side. It has been overcast for most of the morning but just now the sun has broken through the cloud cover to shine down upon this ceremony.

‘Welcome to the parish of Francis Xavier on this beautiful spring day. Spring is the season of rebirth , renewal and new beginnings. Today we are gathered here to celebrate the marriage of Sidney Patrick and Tylyn Marie.’ The priest raises his hands, the first strains of Dona Nobis Pacem by Mozart hums out of the organ, and Sid and his groomsmen take their positions in front of the priest. Sid looks out at us seated watching and waiting. A huge smile breaks across his face like I’ve never seen before. And I’ve seen a number of them. But I know the feeling. I felt like that 60 odd years ago on a day not to disimiliar to this when I looked at my bride.

The service will be just over an hour complete with sacraments. The marriage registration will besigned and witnessed. Father Breo will present us with Mr and Mrs Crosby. It’s what we’ve all came here for today. Another Mr and Mrs Crosby. I look at my hand where my wedding band should be. It seemed only fitting that If Tylyn had the little ring I gave to my Doris all those years ago that Sid should wear my old gold band. How did this hand get so old? Where did the time go?

………..

I close my eyes and hold my breathe for a minute to try and slow down my heart rate. The hairdresser is putting the final touches on Pinga’s hair. She looks so grown up in her dress. In fact all the girls look fabulous. Kurt did a spectacular job on the dresses. Each one is so different in style reflecting the person’s style who is wearing it. Each dress is made from different fabric and colours.. Each bouquet is made up with the same colours but each is made of different flowers but the same colours. Sam’s empire waist dress is of a chick down yellow with lace under her bust and co-ordinating shrug and she’s holding her freesia bouquet. Taylor’s sheath dress in soft robin’s egg blue has a lace bolero jacket with it. The tulips of her bouquet are accented with baby’s breath. The grecian ice pink dress is stunning on Lego. I wasn’t sure when she wanted the hyacinths and forsythia for her bouquet but it really works. It brings tears to my eyes. It’s all coming together.

‘Stand together girls, I want to get a shot of you admiring each other.’ Sarah is taking photos for us. ‘That’s great, now Tylyn sit down I want to get some shots with you and Mama. The something old, some thing new something borrowed something blue.’

‘Let’s do it then. Some thing old is? Mama asks me.

‘My Claddagh ring from Pappy.’ I hold out my hand

‘Something new?’

‘My dress?’ I ask.

‘Yes, that will work. Something borrowed?’

‘The necklace and earrings that Alice and Jean lent me.’ I show the pearls to the camera.

‘Something blue?’ I blush and lift my skirt to show the garter that Kurt made for me.

The clock in the hallway chimes 230pm. My heart races again. I can’t believe that this is happening. Mama unfolds the piece of tulle of my veil over my face. I think I’m going to cry. I look up at her. She is crying.

‘Let’s go girls. It’s time to slay those orks.’ Lego yells the mantra from our quest at the Olympic games. ‘I believe! I believe.’

‘Lauren, I’m not sure that entirely appropriate.’ Mama cracks a smile.

‘Probably not but it got Frodo here her last ring so it might work this time.’ I burst out laughing. She’s absolutely right.

Dad and Gerry are waiting down at the front door. I’m the last one down the stairs. I can see Sarah lining up to take more photos. I walk down the stairs slowly so I don’t trip.

‘Schatje, you look so beautiful.’ I’m going to lose it. Dad is wiping tears from his eyes. ‘There’s our little girl, Gerry. This is the last time she’ll leave this house as a Hylkema.’

‘It’s not like that Piet. I named her Tylyn Marie Hylkema. She’ll always be a Hylkema but she also gets to be a Crosby too.’ Gerry might not have an IQ about 60 but he often says the most prosaic things.

The cars in the driveway are loaded with people. My brothers are acting as drivers. Caleb holds the door open for me so can I slide into the back seat between Dad and Gerry. He gives me a tweak on the nose.

‘You look radiant. I hope to be as happy as you are one day. You make it look so…’ He turns away.

‘You will Caleb. You will once you’ve cleaned up your act enough for some girl to see all your good qualities.’ I kiss his cheek.

As I sit between Dad and Gerry, I watch my life go by me. The fields I’ve played in as a child, the cul de sac that was our road hockey surface, the bus stop where we jostled in line, and the roads we traveled to live our lives beyond the farm. I wonder where my life will lead now. The gravel crunches under the tires as we pull into the churchyard.

The sun is dappling through the cherry blossom. They are the pink popcorn trees that I love so much in spring. I can see the white canopies of the tents that the guests are sitting under. Gerry gets out and waves to David who offered to be our organist.
Dad offers me his hand. I sniff my bouquet of freesia, tulips, hyacinth, daisies and baby breath to slow my heart rate down.

‘My little girl.’ He wipes a tear from his eye. ‘Come let’s see what life has to offer to you.’

‘I hope it brings everything that I’ve always had: love, laughter and family to share it. ’I wipe his tear.

I think of the vows we are going to say and our responses. I do come freely without reservations to this marriage. I really do promise to be true to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health until death do us part. I really will love and honour him for the rest of our lives.

Dad slips my arm under his. Gerry walks beside me. As I look up to the altar in front of us. All I see his amber eyes, his huge toothy grin (with all his teeth!!!) and his hand lifted up beckoning me to his side. He is the start of my new family.