‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Could I have This Dance?

CS 11 Could I Have This Dance.

Something is going on I just know it. Alpha is always going for a few days at a time but she’s never boxed everything up before unless it’s for a long time. I sniff the boxes in the office. My crate with most of my toys is at the very top of the pile. I can see it if I stand way back from the pile. It’s up there on top of all Alpha’s boxes. This is all our stuff and it worries me.

Then there are all the people and the commotion around the house. The city house has family coming and going to it all the time. That is normal. The farmhouse is generally just the same people but not since we got here. There are lots of people staying here and in the cabins. There is a bustle of people in and out of the house. Buster has taken to not even barking when they come into the house. It’s a lot to keep track of and it is not normal.

Alpha and I were very excited to see Cappy when he came yesterday morning with even more people. We spent the day together between the big clean barn and the house. Then after dinner he went away again. I just don’t understand what’s going on. We did have a snuggle on the big couch with Alpha but he didn’t stay with us. When we girls went down to the beach, I thought Cappy would be there. He wasn’t. The girls lit a campfire that was warm against the cool night air. I even got some nibbles of the toasted mallows and wieners. Yum.

I sniff around the boxes one more time. No one has been near them since I last checked on them. It only takes me a minute to climb the stairs to our attic. It’s empty now of all Alpha’s stuff. She’s put a new crate for me in my spot. But’s not my crate. Mine is has hard sides whereas this one collapses when I push at it. Alpha keeps putting me in it with my blankie and my toys that aren’t packed yet. It makes me wonder what this is all about. It’s so confusing.

The room is messy with stuff from the other girls who are sleeping in our attic. Oh we’ve had sleepovers before. The girls come and stay for a night or two then leave. I like the girls and they play with me. But it keeps me busy entertaining them all. I poke around the room. Alpha’s bed has no clothes around it. The closets are empty. But the other beds and mattresses have suitcases and stuff around them. But not Alpha’s, all her stuff is in the boxes down stairs. Something is going on. I wonder if she’s leaving again. I wonder when she’s going. I wonder if I’m going with her. No one ever tells me anything.

A loud thumping noise from the big clean barn brings my attention outside. I jump onto the window seat and look out over the farmyard. In the distance I can see the building. Lots of cars are parked outside it and I can see lights in the window. I’d go over and check it out but someone has locked the hatch in my doorway. All I can do is watch, listen and be prepared to follow Alpha as soon as she comes back.

………

The tapping starts again. Silverware is being tapped against glassware. Cheers from the guests encouraging us to kiss again. I don’t know when or where this tradition started but it’s happened at every wedding I’ve ever been to. Dinner is over and we’ve pushed our chairs back from the table. When the tapping began, we had just sat down at the table. It started before the welcome speech by Pieter, before the toasts by Mike, Biznasty, and Lego, and before our meal had even begun. The tapping started. I lean over to 91 and give her a 87-91 special. The crowd cheers again.

‘Keep it up folks, I’m an athlete prepared for a long competition. I can do this all night.’ I wink at 91. ‘And she’s been training hard all winter for her season to start so she can match me kiss for kiss.’

Laughter erupts again. The buffet table has been surreptitiously pushed to the side of the room closer to the kitchen to make room for the dance floor. Peeka has offered to provide music for the dance. A guitarist has been quietly playing a selection of tunes through dinner. The rest of the band is now joining him on stage.

‘I just want to say a personal thanks to the ladies from the Dragonfly Farm store for preparing such a fabulous feast. I’ll be collecting recipes from you later.’ Biz offered to be our emcee for the evening.

‘Like you cook, Biz’ Cookie chirps him. I know exactly when the chirping started. It was during the service when Caleb yelled out that he objected to the wedding. Father Breo told him to take it up with someone who cared. I like Father.

‘Maybe not but doesn’t mean I’m not collecting recipes that I want cooked for me.’ He shoots right back. ‘Chirps aside. I’d like you to welcome Peeka Von Karajan to the stage. Peeka, just to let you know is the genius behind the Hockey Butt Blues, she may be known for her classical music but I’m here to tell you she can rock with the best of them. Peeka.’

The band has taken up their instruments that they have been tuning in the background. Peeka takes the stage and adjusts the mic stand down to her level.

‘Good evening everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome. It’s been my pleasure to be part of the music for this evening. When Harry and I introduced, Sid and Tylyn last summer, I would have been astounded if you’d told me that they would be getting married in less than a year. We couldn’t be happier. Congratulations. Please welcome to the floor for the first dance of the evening. Sidney and Tylyn.’

I stand up and lead 91 on to the dance floor. Our guests, family and friends are clapping and numerous flashes go off as people take photos. I turn her in my arms. The music started as we walked through the tables. I don’t know who chose the song but Peeka told me it would be a waltz.

‘I'll always remember the song they were playin'
The first time we danced and I knew
As we swayed to the music and held to each other
I fell in love with you”

Anne Murray’s ballad is a perfect choice. I do remember the first time I held 91 in my arms and we danced. It was at the Sylvia last fall when I snuck into Vancouver to watch 91 play her first hockey game. This song maybe a little old fashioned but I can’t think of a better song to represent how I feel right now. I look in to 91’s eyes. It hits me again just how lucky we are. We turn and swirl to the country lilt in ¾ time.

“Could I have this dance for the rest of my life
Would you be my partner every night
When we're together it feels so right
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life”

I kiss 91 again and hug her close to me. It does feel so right. I don’t think that I’ve ever felt so complete. I’ve had many happy moments in my life but something was always missing. And right here right now. I am complete. We are complete.

“I'll always remember that magic moment
When I held you close to me
As we moved together, I knew forever
You're all I'll ever need.”

I know that we will have challenges in the future but together I know we can take on the world.

“Could I have this dance for the rest of my life
Would you be my partner every night
When we're together it feels so right
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life”
.

‘I love you, you know that right?’ As the music ends, I lift 91 up in my arms so that we are eye to eye. ‘Thank you for the song. It’s pretty much says exactly what I’m feeling.’

‘Mom suggested it. I hadn’t heard it in years. Mama used to sing it to us as a lullaby when we were little. So when we were talking about plans at Kurt’s she suggested it. Evidently, your parents and mine both danced to this on their wedding days.’ Can 91 get any lovelier? I just don’t think so.

‘Thank you.’ Peeka acknowledges the applause. ‘Okay you two, I know you can kiss for hours. I’ve witnessed it personally.’ The crowd laughs around us. ‘Let us keep the dancing going. Pieter and Trina will you join them on the dance floor? Carole King wrote this next song in the early 1970’s and it’s one of my favorites. It’s called Sweet Child of Mine. ’

I know that it’s tradition for a father/daughter and mother/son dances but 91 wanted to include everyone. So as the music starts again but this time instead of the full band playing it’s just David at the keyboard and Peeka’s voice. It’s stark and sweet as she sings. Pieter dances with 91 and I hold my mom. But half way through Peeka singing I ask Rosalie to dance and 91 is with Dad leaving Pieter to dance with Mom. The lyrics are so fitting.

You don't need direction; you know which way to go
And I don't want to hold you back, I just want to watch you grow
You're the one who taught me you don't have to look behind
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

Rosalie has tears in her eyes. I give her a hug.

‘Do you know this song?’ I ask her.

‘No, not really. I know we discussed maybe “Nobody loves me like you do” by Anne Murray but David said that Peeka would probably want input. You know what Tylyn is like. She just wants to make everyone happy. But now that I actually hear the lyrics, this is exactly what a parent feels. I hope that you and Tylyn will be blessed with children, Penguin. For your sake because children give you more than you ever give them.’ I wipe a tear from her cheek.

‘I don’t know about Ty but I like children. I like that they are honest and forth right.’ I lean in a whisper to her. ‘I hope we have a whole passel of them.’

‘Me too. Penguin me too.’

…..

Weddings bring together two people to be a couple. Receptions bring together many people of different walks of life to become family and friends. There is a common denominator that brings us all together. The dance floor is full of people of all ages laughing, and moving to the music. The barn that was meant to be full of dairy cattle has yet to have a single bovine cross it’s threshold.

‘They are a good looking couple.’ Harv looks out over the dance floor. Tylyn is dancing with Paul while Sid is dancing with his sister. Morty is in his wheelchair grooving to the music with Alice while Sid’s Pappy, Gilbert, is dancing with Jean. ‘Do you think that Gilbert has figured out that Alice and Jean are a couple? I mean he keeps hitting on Jean.’

‘Oh I think so. I just think he’s one of those sweet talking guys.’ I smile to myself. ‘ I bet he’s been do it so long he won’t know what to do if she took him up on his offers.’

‘You’re probably right.’ Harv laughs. ‘Look at Talbot trying to sweet talk Lauren. She’s one tough cookie. He’ll have to do better than that.’

‘No, look at Paul. He may be dancing with Tylyn but his eyes have never left Lego. I wonder how far he’s going to get with her.’ For all that Lauren is aggressive and very confident I’ve always felt that underneath the façade was a vulnerable girl. ‘Do you know Paul at all?’

‘Biznasty? I know his on ice persona. He’s one of the tough guys. I know he’s a funny guy. But honestly, I’ve only met him in Sid’s company. Tylyn thinks the world of him so that should stand in his favor. Why?’

‘I was just wondering. He seems very determined when it comes to Lauren.’

‘They say people often meet their prospective spouses at weddings.’ Harv comments.

‘That’s just what I was thinking. Take a look out on the dance floor. There are actually more single young men here than single young women. Sid invited five or six fellows if you include Austin Lemieux. Tylyn has her 13 her brothers and cousins. Sid invited Taylor, the 3 Lemieux girls, and two cousins. Tylyn invited only 4 female friends. Oh a few of the boys’ girlfriends have come but I wouldn’t call them single. This has caused a disparity on the dance floor. Paul is interested in Lauren but so is Max Talbot. Luke, Noah and Braden are all interested in young Taylor. And for her part Taylor appears to be enjoying the male attention. The big Russian boy is trying to chat to Sam but Sid’s best man seems to have singled her out. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next year.’ I sip my glass of wine.

‘I didn’t notice the lack of girls.’ Harv says.

‘Oh it was there at the bouquet toss. I only counted maybe 10 or 11 single gals whereas at the garter toss there were 23 guys if you add in Morty and Gilbert.’ I’m busy calculating with my fingers. ‘That’s a two to one ratio.’

‘Them are tough odds. Poor Morty, he’s got his work cut out for him.’ We watch Morty, as he’s now busy chatting up some ladies across the room. ‘It’s hard to keep Morty down.

We watch the dance floor as the music and partners change again. Peeka has kept the music flowing. On the RSVP cards, Peeka asked to have a song request from each guest invited. I now know why because as each song is introduced she says who requested it and invites them on stage to sing with her or David. It’s been very fun as a fair number of people have taken her up on her challenge. The first was Harry her boyfriend who sang Van Morrison’s Have I Told You lately That I love You. Then Sam sang Wildflower, followed by Paul singing I’m a Natural Born Lover. It is interesting to me the choice from each guest. Mario chose a lovely old French song called Hymne d’Amour. He said it was one of his Grandmother’s favorites. The music like the guests tonight is from many different genres but it works.

‘Thank you, Michelle for helping us with Sugarland’s Stuck like Glue’. Sid, you’re choice is up next. You coming up here or what? Let’s give him a round of applause.’ The crowd goes wild with wolf whistles and catcalls. Sid has shed his suit jacket and loosen his tie.’ Just to let you guys know that Sid’s Hockey Butt Blues is making it’s way up the charts in several countries. Right now here in Canada its at number 4 on the Billboard. But that’s not what we’re doing tonight.’

Peeka leans in to whisper something in his ear. He nods and takes the mike from her. She counts in the band. It’s a new peppy tune.

‘Bear with me folks. I’m about to murder Jason Mraz’s I’m Yours.’ He hums to get the rhythm of the music. Tylyn’s face lights up. She may be dancing with Gilbert but her eyes are just for Sid.

‘Mrs. Thwaite? Could I have this dance?’ Harv has extended his hand to me.

‘It will be my pleasure, Mr Wozniak’ I place my hand in his much larger one. ‘Will you be singing tonight?’

‘Yes, yes I think I will.’ He leads me out on to the dance floor. It’s been years since I’ve danced with a partner. ‘And you, Mrs. Thwaite? What are you going to sing tonight?’

‘You’ll just have to be patient and see, sir.’ I just smile at him. I wasn’t going sing when Peeka called my name but if Harv is going to sing then so shall I. Maybe Just One Look by Doris Troy is a bit racy for a grandmum to sing.

…..

I didn’t want the party to end. It’s been so much more fun than I could have imagined. Peeka’s suggestion of a modified karaoke was a huge success. I bet more than three quarters of the people helped sing their chosen songs. Sometimes it was just the chorus or in Pappy’s case the extended version of That’s Amore. The dance floor has been full all night. 87 and I met up at the end of Dan’s rendition of Eric Clapton’s Wonderful Tonight. He looked at me I knew that it was time for our goodbyes.

‘It’s been a wonderful day.’ We borrowed Mum’s Volvo to drive out to our room for the night. ‘I hope that Jory and Henny were able to film everyone singing. I want to see it all again.’

‘Yeah, I wouldn’t never have believed you’d get so many people up there to sing.’ He shifts the car down a gear as he pulls up to the highway. ‘Which way?’

‘Straight across.’ I point eastward. ‘It’s not far.’

‘We can still stay at the Empress if you want. It’s only an hour drive or so.’ He looks at me.

‘This place isn’t far from here. Let’s go look at it and then we can decide. I know the boys will want to play a practical joke on us so I bet they’ll have found a way in to the Empress. They won’t even think about this place.’ Plus I really don’t want to drive a whole hour if you know what I mean. Sheesh this is our wedding night. ‘Just follow the road all the way along.’

The rain started drizzling just as we finished taking the wedding photos in the orchard beside the church this afternoon. Now it’s raining hard enough for the wipers to be on fulltime. It’s makes for a dark journey down this country lane. The road ahead of us winds and meanders by some houses, along some farm fields and the slopes downward through a forest of spruce and fir trees to the oceans edge. The road finally forms a t-junction with a cross street.

‘See there are two tracks just over to your left. That’s us.’ I point to the tracks that have a single strand of chain across the drive. ‘I’ll get the chain.’

‘You sit. I’ll get the chain. You’ll get your fresh as daisy dress all dirty. Where are you taking us?’

‘You’ll see in a minute.’ I just tease him. I hand him the key to the lock. I’ve thought about tonight a lot and I want it to be special. I’ve spent a bunch of time the last couple of days making this right. I hope he likes it. I climb into the drivers seat to pull the car over the chain. 87 gets in after he locks the chain back up. I have to drive slowly as the track is full of potholes. ‘It’s not far now just down the hill and around the corner.’

I stop the car so that the lights shine on to the cabin overlooking the ocean for a few minutes so that 87 can see the building. The fireplace has been lit and smoke is gently wafting out of the chimney. A single small light is shining through the window to greet us. I pull into the carport and turn off the engine.

‘Have you borrowed someone’s cabin?’ 87 asks as we get out of the car. I pop the truck so we can get our overnight bags and the picnic basket that I put in there earlier. ‘Will they mind?’

‘Yes. It’s a friend of Mum’s who is away traveling in India. Mum is watching over the place. I emailed Margaret to see if we could stay here and she said yes. It’s just for one night. We won’t bother anything.’ I really want 87 to like this place. I hope he sees in it what I do. ‘Let’s go in so you can see it.’

When we open the door, the open plan post and beam design becomes apparent. The big river rock fireplace has a small fire crackling in it, to the left is the glow from an under cabinet light in the kitchen and a window must be open a crack because I can hear the waves lapping on the shore. I must remember to thank Mama’s friend Nadine walking over to light the fire. Nadine has the neighbouring property. I walk in to the room and turn to watch 87.

‘This reminds me of Madrona. Of Peeka and Harry’s place.’ 87 looks around him. ‘It’s different layout but it’s the same comfy casual west coast feeling.’

‘It’s not just me then. I came here with Mum to visit Margaret last summer just after we left Madrona and it struck me then how similar the properties were.’ I say as I finger the lapel of his suit. ‘It reminded me so much of our time there. You know when we never left our room for like the whole day. That room was our own private space.’

I know I’m blushing. I’m remembering the morning we first made love. How I got talking into offering to scrub 87 down in his shower by David. How when 87 asked me for a towel, I gave him the one I was wearing leaving me naked. I’d been naked before in front of my teammates but never a guy. Never someone I hardily knew. It was the first time I ever really kissed a boy. I remember feeling so nervous and awkward but 87 made it all feel so right. So good. So natural. I gaze up into his face. He’s remembering it too; our first time together. His face mirrors exactly what I’m feeling.

‘I remember our first kiss.’ He lifts my chin up with a finger. ‘I remember really trying to slow everything down to give you time to process what you wanted. I wanted you to want me.’

‘Oh I wanted you from the first moment I saw you in the truck. I just didn’t know how to make it happen.’ His hands slide under arms and pull me to his chest. I stand on my tippy toes so I can whisper in his ear.’ But I do know now.’

Our lips meet softly touching. I gently caress his lips with my tongue and arched my back to remove any space between us. I have my hands under his jacket playing with his nipples. He groans ever so slightly as I feel the warmth of his hands on my bum. He squeezes my cheeks while I rub my mound into his erect penis. I sigh. I do know what I want now. I want him.

‘We don’t have to do this if your tired. It’s been a long day.’ His deep voice catches in his throat. ‘We can just cuddle while we go to sleep.’

‘I’m tired yes but no. A girl only gets one wedding night and I don’t want to waste mine sleeping if you know what I mean. We’ll have lots of time to sleep on the plane ride to PIT tomorrow.’ I break 87’s hold on me. I slip out of his embrace, link my fingers through his and pull at him. ’ Come look. There’s a big soaker tub and ‘

‘Well if there’s a big soaker tub then I’m in.’ His laughter cuts me off. ‘Far be it from me to waste time with sleeping when we could get naked and float in a puddle, Miss Chickadee.’

‘It’s Mrs. Chickadee to you, now, Mr. Sherwood Hockeypuck.’ I sass him. ’It’s Mrs. Chickadee Hockeypuck.’