‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Breaking News

CS 13 Breaking News

‘Tylyn, let Hairy out of the carrier so she can stretch.’ Nathalie suggests. ‘She’s been cooped up in there long enough. She can wander around. The hospital staff probably won’t complain. She’s probably cleaner than some of their patients.’

As soon as I unzip the top, Hairy pokes her head out and sniffs the cool air. It’s been a few hours since Mario called to let me know that some Flyer fans unhappy with tonight’s game jumped Dan, 87, Morrow, and Jen tonight. The four of them had stayed late for interviews and were on their way to catch a cab back to there hotel when they were waylaid. It sounds like they were surrounded by an angry mob of fans. Troy has said a few times that the Philly fans weren’t going to forget 87’s trashing their team. It sounds like Dan tried to talk them down and took the worst of the beating for his efforts. 87 has a couple of bruised ribs. Morrow has a broken nose and a few broken bones in one his hand. I assume from defending himself. It seems Jen quietly went for help by calling 911. She is the only one to come out of this unscathed. So we wives flew to Philadelphia in the middle of the night in the storm. Mario said the police have several of the offenders in custody and charges are pending. Hairy hops out of the carrier and looks at me.

‘I’ve tried texting 87 but he’s not responding.’ I look at Nathalie. ‘Have you heard from Mario since we landed?’

‘No, he’s dealing with the police. Ray is here somewhere.’ We’ve just stepped out of the cab from the airport and are heading to the main doors of the hospital.

‘I just messaged Ray to say that we’re here now. He says he’ll meet us shortly at the front door.’ Mary Beth Bylsma looks pale. It’s been a long night. I just don’t know how she does it. She’s so together. I was a mess when 87 was hurt. I know he’s hurt again but this time I know what his injuries are. As far as we know Dan is still being assessed.

Hairy pulls on her lead. Nathalie and Mary Beth go through the glass sliding doors. I see a garden ahead and follow her. Hairy squats for a minute to pee. I watch the ladies through the glass. Ray is walking toward them. His face is blank of emotion. It is controlled. He is masking his emotions. Dan must be in worse shape than we thought. I watch them talk as Hairy sniffs around. Nathalie puts her arm around Mary Beth’s shoulders as they listen to Ray. Mary Beth’s face is a mirror of her emotions. She looks horrified. It’s a sad scene.

‘Come on you into the carrier. Let’s go see what’s going on.’ I say to her. Hairy cocks her head and whimpers again. ‘Let’s go see, Cappy.’

With Hairy in her carrier, we meet up with the others. Nathalie has moved Mary Beth to one side of the waiting room.

‘Hey Tylyn, you okay?’ Ray looks a hundred years old tonight as he greets us.

‘Yes. How’s Dan?’ I just want to know.

‘Not good. He has several broken bones in his face, a broken arm and several ribs. The docs think that one of the ribs might have cut into his liver because he’s bleeding. The guy hit him in several times with a heavy metal pipe. Sounds like Dan might have a concussion as well. They took him to surgery to stop the bleeding about an hour ago. It’s going to be a long night.’ Ray is talking to me but is watching Nathalie and Mary Beth. ‘Brendan stood between Sid and Dan. He got a few broken bones in one hand and some bruising. Fortunately, the only one guy had a weapon. He got Sid once in the ribs. I guess he went to swing the pipe at Sid’s head but Morrow took a piece of it. Sid ducked to get out of the way and took the blow in his ribs. That’s when Dan stepped in.’

‘Dan’s going to be okay right?’ I can’t believe what I’m hearing.

‘I hope so but his injuries are pretty serious.’ He looks over my shoulder. ‘Shit here comes the media. Let’s get Mary Beth up stairs out of the public eye.’

Several elevators and hallways later, we are ushered into a small waiting room. None of us are talking much.

‘Sid is being patched up in ER. They want to watch him over night. He has a bruise by his left ear. I don’t think it’s related to tonight’s incident but the docs want to watch him. The nurse said she’d look for us here when they more him up stairs.’ Ray whispers quietly to me.

’87 took a high stick to that area in the third. Remember?’ I ask. ‘Rinaldo got a major. We got goal number 4.’

‘I agree that’s where the bruise came from too.’ He takes his phone out of his pocket and reads it. ‘Brendan is finished in the cast room. He is heading here. He’ll be able to tell us more.’

But he doesn’t add much. It wasn’t so much a crowd as 7 or 8 guys in hoodies and ball caps. Brendan thinks most of the group was just there to taunt them but things got out of hand. But that doesn’t help Dan now though. We sit and wait, and wait and wait. Finally, a nurse comes to the door.

‘Mrs. Crosby?’ She looks at Mary Beth. It takes me a minute to realize that she means me.

‘I’m Tylyn Crosby.’ I stand up pulling Hairy in her carrier with me.

‘Oh sorry, I just assumed. Mr Crosby is in his room. If you will follow me, I can take you there. It’s room 9012B, not far from here. Are the rest of you going to stay here?’

‘Are you okay going by yourself, Tylyn?’ Nathalie asks. I know she’ll want to stay with Mary Beth.

‘I’m fine. You’ll stay in touch?’ I pretend to text. ‘You’ll let us know any news?’

‘Of course. Tell Sid, I’ll be by to see him later.’ Nathalie gives me a knowing looking. She’ll be by when we know Dan’s out of the woods.

The nurse leads the way through the maze of corridors. I’m wheeling my carry on and Hairy in her pet Carrier. Hairy has been very quiet throughout the hospital. I don’t think anyone has actually noticed that her carrier is not a suitcase.

‘Your husband is through here. I think he’s a bit frustrated with the situation.’ I can hear 87 cursing as she opens the door. ‘Mr Crosby? You have a visitor.’

I walk around her pulling my “luggage” that’s when Hairy decides to make a fuss because she hears him too.

‘I think your suitcase is barking?’ She looks suspiciously at the black mesh carrier.

‘And it’s going to be in big trouble if is doesn’t stop soon.’ I snarl at Hairy. 87 laughs from the bed I turn and smile at him. ‘Hey there. This is a fancy room you got here.’

………

It’s crossed my mind several times tonight but I refuse to think about it. Every bone in my body is sore. Every muscle aches and my nerves are stretched raw. I just want to crawl into bed and wake up to have this all over. But I know that won’t happen. Morrow has finally gone back to the hotel to get some sleep. The police escorted him for his own safety. Sid and Tylyn are probably sleeping in his room down the hallway. Mario came back from the police station shortly before Dan got out of surgery only to go back into another. It was his spleen that was torn. The doctors have removed it. Evidently you can live without your spleen. Dan is now in recovery having had his face rebuilt. Hours have gone by. Ray is sound asleep in a chair beside me in the waiting room. Nathalie and Mary Beth are awake again and talking quietly. Mario is pacing the room with his hands behind his back. My phone vibrates. The press wants a statement. What do we say? How do we say it? The movement of me reaching for my phone wakes Ray up.

‘Sorry. It’s the press they want a statement.’ I say.

‘Jen, give them….’ Ray pauses.

‘Give them the truth.’ Mario stops in front of us. ‘Tell them a group of 7 individuals attacked Dan, Sid, Brendan and you. Brief them about the injuries. Tell them we will hold a press conference later maybe this afternoon.’

‘You sure that’s what you to say? ‘I look to Ray for confirmation. ‘We need a plan? What about tomorrow night’s game? What about…’

‘Jen, I’m working on a plan. We need to buy some time. So buy us some time.’ Mario looks directly at me. He turns his huge frame slightly.‘ Ray? What are the rules for coaches in the NHL?’

‘What do you mean? We need one or more?’ Ray hesitates. ‘What are you thinking about?’

‘Jen, spin us the statement. Ray and I are going for a walk.’ Mario has determination on his face. I’m glad I’m on his team because he is not a man to cross. ‘Nath? Mary Beth? Want anything? Coffee’

‘God I hate it when you think you have a plan, Mario. Your plans suck.’ Only Ray could get away with telling his boss that the boss’s plans sucks.

‘I know one plan that worked out pretty well.’ Mario nods touches his right index finger to the side of his nose. ‘ You know which plan I mean, Shero. You know what I mean.’

‘Let’s walk and you can tell me all about this latest plan.’ Ray stands. ‘Jen don’t send out that statement until we get back. I want to see it first.’

I watch the two men walk out of the room. I turn on my laptop, open a fresh word document and stare at the blank page. I have crafted many statements in since I’ve started in PR. This one rates as one of the hardest.

…..

‘I honestly can’t fucking believe this. I’ve spent more time injured in the last two years than I have been healthy. Just when I think I’ve got healthy. Wham I get slammed again with another injury.’ I wince as I breathe. Dad is being sympathetic while I rage at him over the phone. ‘Now the doctors are saying that I have a pneumothorax caused by the blunt force injury. They’ve relieved the pressure by tapping it with a needle. I thought that they were keeping me over night on concussion watch but it was because I was short of breath. They want me to head back to Pittsburgh today see our own doctors, that’s why they have discharged me.’

‘How do you feel now? Does it still hurt to breathe?’

‘A bit but that’s the bruised ribs they say. The doc this morning said that I’m not allowed to fly for a minimum of 7 days as a precaution. A week to 10 days. My ribs should be better by then but with no flying how am I to travel with the team? I’ll be staying put in PIT until I’m able to fly.’ I am exasperated. ’It’s a fucking 6 hour drive to Pittsburgh from here let alone anywhere else.’

‘This depends on if the team is still playing. You’re down in this series 2 games to 1’ Dad clears his throat before he continues. ‘ Flyers still have the upper hand in this series. Dan’s done coaching for the season. You’re going to be out. You came back to lift the team up from the two home losses. Do you really think that the team can win three more games? What is Ray going to do about a coach?’

Ray and Mario were in here earlier talking to me about some cockamamie plan that Mario has dreamed up. I give Dad the details as I heard them. Mario had a call from Gary Bettman the league commissioner to discuss the options for the team then popped into my hotel room when 91 was out giving Hairy a morning walk. He, Shero and I had a long chat about those options.

‘How do you feel about this plan?’ Dad asks. ‘Do you think it’s a viable option?’

‘Yeah I do. It’s a simple change and leaves the majority of people in their positions. The assistant coaches will be still responsible for their areas. The players have consistency in that.’ I play with 91’s sweater that she’s left beside the bed. ‘It allows everyone in the organization doing their jobs with just a few added tasks.’

‘What’s your role in this as the captain? Do you actually get a say?’

‘Officially, probably not but I do like the plan. I think it will work.’ The sweater is off white with flowers outlined in black. It’s her away sweater. 91 dresses in our team colours for game days. It cracks me up that she is so committed to the team. ‘I said I’d be good with it as long as Dan was good it. We talked to him not that long ago after he woke up. He can’t talk but gave us the thumbs up. But that’s not the only thing going on here. I don’t know if you’ve heard yet but Pittsburgh is having some flooding issues. The front office boys are concerned that The CEC might not be available for game 5. It sounds like the city crews have been working around the clock to divert the rising waters from the heavy rains of the pass couple of days.’

‘Jeez, can anything else go wrong? So what happens if you can’t play there?’ He sounds astounded as I feel.

‘More options. But the best one would be to stay put here and have our fans flown in. It sounds like that is what the league is suggesting. PR has called a press conference in a couple of hours to bring everyone up to date with the logistics of where do we go from here.’ I say as I throw a few things into my bag. I’m packing up my stuff in the hotel room as I talk.’ Jen wants me to speak for a few minutes before I leave. We will be doing this as a united front. Bettman is flying out to sit in to lend his support.’

‘The big guns, huhn. Well we’ll all be watching here. Good luck. You know we are rooting for you.’ And I do know that. I hear the door open and Hairy bursts into the room damp from being outside. She’s happy as she bounces up to me tail wagging.

‘Dad, I had better go. Ty and Hairy have just come back from their walk.’ I listen to his goodbye. ‘Give my love to everyone out there. Take care.’

I look up at 91. She’s been out for a run while I’ve been busy dealing with team issues. She’s totally unaware of the plans that have been being made in the past couple of hours.

‘Everything okay?’ She smiles up at me with her bright blue eyes questioning me.

‘It will be. It will be.’ I pull her into my arms for a hug and a 87-91 special. And it will be.

……..

Hckybt: Get Gerry and Piet to watch the press conference. It should be live on TSN.

RHylkema: Is everything okay? T said you’re just bruised.

Hckybt: I am. Still get them to watch.

RHylkema: Ok. Tz

Hckybt: Tz, Rosalie.

……

The camera pans the dais five chairs have been set behind a black clothed table. Five water bottles are set beside 5 nameplates. Four of the name plates show you will be sitting there. On stage left is Sidney Crosby and Mario Lemieux. On stage right is Gary Bettman and Ray Shero. The fifth nameplate at center stage between Mario Lemieux and Ray Shero is face down. Off camera a female voice announces that the press conference is about to begin. Sid dressed casually in a dress shirt and slacks enters and leads the four named men to their seats. They each take their seats.

‘I’d like to begin by thanking everyone for coming today. As you all are aware by now, we will be discussing two main issues; the assault that happened last night and the flooding in Pittsburgh. We will begin with Mario and the flooding issues. Each member of the panel will have an opportunity to speak and then we will up it up to the floor for questions. Then we will move on to the next topic.’ Jennifer Bullano outlines the press briefing. ‘Mario?’

‘Thank you Jennifer.’ Mario takes a deep breath and scans the faces in front of him. ‘ It’s been a while since I’ve had to do this but it’s nice to know that you’re still a motley crew. Pittsburgh has been experiencing an usual amount of rain in the past week. So much so that flooding of both rivers have caused damage to several bridges and infra structure in the city. At the moment, Consol Energy Center has been spared any significant damage. There is ground water causing some minor leakage in the lower areas of the building. Because of this city officials have asked that the building is closed for events until the water subsides.’

He pauses and lets everyone catch up with him. He opens his water bottle and pours himself a drink. He sips his drink and clears his throat to begin again.

‘This means that Game 5 will not be played in Pittsburgh.’ He stops again to let this latest revelation sink in. No game 5 home ice advantage. Mario looks down the table to Gary Bettman the league commissioner.

‘This is an unusual situation. The league has been reviewing all the options available. Unfortunately there isn’t another venue in Pittsburgh area that meets the criteria of the NHL to host the game. The next option was to look for the closest available venues. Columbus and Buffalo’s arena are both hosting events on Sunday. It has been decided to have the game played here in Philadelphia and…’ A murmur runs through the group of reporters as the commissioner speaks. ’… and to maintain the home ice advantage for the Penguins. To achieve the home ice advantage, the NHL, Philadelphia Flyer and the Pittsburgh Penguins have all agreed to the following conditions. The time of Sunday’s game 5 will be moved from 730pm to 130pm. All tickets sold to attend the Game 5 at the Consol Energy Center will be valid for the corresponding seat at the Wells Fargo Center. To ensure that all the Pittsburgh Penguins fans can make the journey, ownerships from both teams and the league will provide free transport to and from the game. Any unsold seats as off this morning for the Game 5 will be held until the end of game 4 and then will be put on sale on a first come first serve basis. The league is committed to providing the best case scenario for both teams. Every effort will be made by the Wells Fargo staff to accommodate the Consol Energy Center ticket holders. Ticket holders will be contacted to discuss arrangements. Mario?’

There is an audible buzz around the room.

‘More information is being posted on the Penguin web site. We have a couple of days to get this organized.’ Mario looks directly into the camera. ‘We are asking for everyone’s cooperation and patience as we work through the details. If ticket holders are not contacted within the next 24 hours then please follow the contact information on the website. Ray, do you have anything to add to this? No? Then if there are any questions?’

Pandemonium breaks out in the in the front of the dais. Questions are shouted out and answers are confirmed. Any danger of a possible Game 7 being moved? It is unclear at this time and is totally weather dependent. How are so many fans to be transported? Planes will fly between several airports. What kind of numbers are we talking about? About 15,000. What are the logistics? Very complicated at the moment and planning is still in progress. How do the players feel about the change of venue? Sid confirms that everyone is on board and just wanting to play Game 4 tomorrow evening. They are taking it one game at a time. What about vendor revenue lost at Consol? These things are unfortunate but can’t be helped. The game location was moved for safety concerns. Finally the questions slow down and a voice off screen directs the Mario to speak again.

‘We will move on now to the assault that took place last evening. The police have in custody the 7 young people involved last evening offense. Assault and battery charges are being laid against them for causing injuries to Sid here, Brendan Morrow and Dan Bylsma. Sid and Brendan both have minor injuries are listed day to day. Dan will have a much longer recovery time as he has incurred a ruptured spleen, broken jaw, cheekbone and collarbone. He has spent the night in surgery and now begins a long road of recovery.’ Mario looks into the camera. ‘The Penguin organization will support Dan as long as needs to come back. He is a valuable member of our team. We hope that the press will respect he and his family on this journey. We know that our fans will be respectful of due process and will let the justice system resolve this issue. Ray?’

‘Thank you, Mario. This is a difficult time in our season to lose a coach. The league rules state that we need a head coach to act as a spokesman for the team, to coordinate on ice play and to develop player skills. The head coach must be behind the bench while the games are in progress. The Penguin management team needs to appoint someone to be an interim head coach before tomorrow night’s game 4. To that end there are only two options, hire from outside the organization or promote from within the organization. We have chosen the latter. Dan has put in place an on ice system that the assistant coaches and players have been working on for the past few seasons. It would take time for a new head coach to learn this system or to have the players learn a new system. This is the playoffs and time is limited. We know that we have to make a decision now that best helps our team forward through this run for the cup. The Penguins aim to be a contender for the Cup. To do that everyone the team needs to do his job. We need to prepare for the next game tomorrow night. We need a head coach. The league supports our choice of candidate.’ Ray looks at Gary Bettman who replies with a nod.

‘The players approve our candidate.’ Ray looks to Sidney Crosby who nods his assent. ‘And finally ownership approves our candidate. In fact it has been a unanimous decision by all parties involved. I am happy to announce our candidate brings 20 years of hockey experience, a thorough understanding of Dan’s system, the respect of the players and we believe the skills to coordinate this all into a positive outcome. Please welcome help me welcome the Interim Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins.’

Ray smiles into the camera. And as he stands so do the other 3 men at the table. They all turn to their right. Sidney lifts his right hand up and smiles off camera. A small figure walks toward him tentatively at first, her dark curls shaking slightly as she moves. She smiles up at him as she reaches him. Sidney leans forward and whispers something in her ear that causes her to laugh. She shakes hands with Mario as she passes him and nods a greeting to Ray as she reaches her seat. Ray steps back so she can shake hands with Gary Bettman before she takes her seat behind her nameplate that Ray has revealed. Tylyn Crosby.

‘Please welcome our Interim Head Coach, Tylyn Crosby.’ Ray claps as he announces.