‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

A Bet

CS 16 A Bet.

The final buzzer sounds and we watch as the Penguins bench clears. The camera focuses on the players hugging each other and then mobbing the goalie. Finally it comes to rest on the Penguin bench where the coaches are standing shaking each other’s hands.

‘Well, I’m glad I didn’t bet money on this series.’ Piet shakes his head. ‘I know Gerry that I should have had faith in Tylyn but it seemed like they were doomed.’

‘I am sure she’s not in charge. Like she told us on the phone, she’s just a figure head to deflect the media pressure.’ I reach down to pick up my phone to text her a congratulations message. ‘Plus, Mario and Ray will have a plan in place.’

‘Oh ye of little knowledge. That was your daughter out there eyeballing Vokoun into making some great saves. That was your daughter talking long and hard into the ears of those players about plays to make. That was your daughter who called the time outs to rest the players in game 4 and game 5. This game had your daughter’s hands all over it.’ My husband of 30 plus years informs me. ‘That is our daughter about to take to the ice to shake hands as a winning coach.’

‘ Oh dear she looks so small against the big men.’ I know it’s ridiculous but I still worry about her. ‘I wish Sid were playing tonight. I know he’d look after her.’

‘Tylyn’ll be fine. Look Biz is coming over to stand beside her.’ Gerry grins over at me. He’s loved this series. When Tylyn was named as interim coach, Gerry phoned everyone he knew. In church on Sunday he got up and told everyone. Yesterday he was came into the farm store for some food from the deli and was busy telling all our customers. ‘And Murray too. Sid says his nickname is Crankshaft. Sid says he’s bigger than Caleb.’

Sid would know, I think. The players from both teams have lined up at center ice for the traditional handshake of winners to losers. I don’t know how they sort themselves out but the players go first followed by the coaches. Tylyn is walking tentatively toward center ice. Biz and Murray have been through the line up of handshakes and have skated back to her. Biz is a nice fellow. He’s saying something to her. Tylyn looks around for a minute then nods. Murray reaches over and picks her up like a small child and skates over to go through the line up again. Biz is at their side talking the whole time. When they get to center ice, Murray sets her down gently. Tylyn greets players and shakes their hand. She is showing great control, as I know she hates the Flyers. A camera zooms in on her face as she meets Scott Hartnell. Tylyn is smiling and nodding as he says something to her. I can see her thank him and wish him well.

‘What do you think that was all about?’ Piet asks.

‘I bet he wants her to coach in Philly next year.’ Gerry yells at the TV. ‘Fat chance sucker. We’re going to the cup!’

We watch as the lineup continues until the coaches meet. Biz introduces Tylyn to the head coach of the Flyers. They shake hands. Tylyn has put her game face back on. She looks polite but firm. I watch her lips thank him for a series well played. Mr Laviolette’s back is to the camera so I can’t read his lips but from the look on Tylyn’s face she is anything but happy. She looks wary. Biz leans into the Flyer coach and says something. Tylyn rests her hand on his arm. I’ve seen her use that move before with Caleb when she wants him to calm down. I wonder what has been said. Laviolette has been very vocal in the media about the Penguins using Tylyn as a distraction. Mind you, I think that the tactic has worked, as he has spent the last two games yelling and screaming at his players, the refs and the Penguins. I’m sure that his blood pressure must be through the roof. Murray and Biz move Tylyn along the line up to shake hands with the last two assistant coaches.

‘What does Sid say Gerry?’ I ask as his phone squawks.

‘He says he and Hairy are going to Buffalo.’ Gerry looks perplexed. ‘The Sabres didn’t make the play offs. Why are they going there?’

‘Team building I suspect. Tylyn was saying this morning that there are still some water issues at the Penguin practice rink and at the CEC. I think that they are going to Buffalo to rest up and regroup.’ Piet answers him.

‘Look Rosie, that Ferraro guy is going to interview her.’ Gerry points at the TV. I look at my daughter. She looks pale and tired. I know she has been working very hard helping the team. I will be relieved when Sid and Hairy get to join her with the team. Tylyn puts on an independent face but she really does need some grounding.

…..

‘No I won’t be issuing a medical update on any players. As I have said before, we are experiencing the normal bumps and bruises associated with any playoff series.’ 91 looks weary. The press can really grind you down by asking the same questions in different ways to illicit the response that they want. I think that dealing with the media is the hardest part of my job.

‘Will you comment on when you expect Sid to return?’ Obviously, if the guy turned around he’d see me but then that’s why I’ve snuck in the back of the room. I don’t want to disturb the presser but I want to see what is going on.

‘Last I heard, he was waiting on medical clearance.’ Not a lie per se but it was just a formality that I’d get a release.

‘How will you work Sid into the line up? Will you revamp the lines to incorporate him?’ Good question… I wonder how she will answer this. Normally, 91’s emotions are written across her face. I know she and Jen have been working hard at a game face for her. Today though it slips. A funny little smile and a knowing look in her eye gives away her cheeky retort.

‘Well last year when he came back after his concussion, he did okay as a third line center. Maybe I’ll try him there.’ Her eyes twinkle ‘that or maybe he can help keep the water bottles filled and man the gate.’

Yep that’s my cheeky chickadee. Hairy has been quiet in my arms absorbed in the milieu around us. When 91 spoke just now, Hairy stopped sniffing around and looked forward. I whisper in her ear and set her down on the floor.

‘Go on. I say go find 91. Go on’ I encourage her. Hairy listens again.

‘Have you talked to Sid? Do you know what his plans are?’

‘Yes, I had a conversation with him this morning. We didn’t really talk hockey. It was more house stuff. You know laundry, groceries that kind of housekeeping stuff.’

Hairy is listening and has pushed her way through the mass of legs. I know she’s getting closer to the front as I see people moving. Hairy barks as she see 91. Then… well it’s a greeting of long lost friends. Hairy has jumped up on to 91’s lap and is licking everything she can reach with her tongue. 91 is laughing and trying to fend off the attack of puppy kisses.

‘Tylyn, will you introduce us?’

‘This is our pooch, Hairy Ears Crosby.’ 91 beams at the group then says to the wiggling mass of fur on her lap. ‘Silly girl’

‘Hairy Ears?’ I call out from the back. Hairy cocks her head and raises her ears so everyone can see the flowing strands of hair on her ears. ‘Are you a penguin fan?’

‘Yip.’ She answers me.

This of course brings a ripple of laughter through the group and the focus of attention to me. I can deal with it. I’ve got this one.

……

Biznasty2point0: You studying?

Lego10: Yeah, only one more exam.

Biznasty2point0: Which one?

Lego10: Biochem. Did Bert show up? How’s Frodo?

Biznasty2point0: 87 is here. TG. Tygyrl is fierce. And rooting for the Habs!

Lego12: Sounds like her. She loves a challenge. GoodLuck 2 U.))))).

Biznasty2point0: Yeah we’re going to need it.

……

‘You’re not serious are you? This is game seven of their series and you are rooting for the Habs? I thought you wanted the Islanders to win?’ I can’t believe my ears.

‘No, I never said that. You said that.’ Tygyrl has scrunched up her face at me.

‘Sid explain to her again why we want the Islanders to win.’ Tygyrl maybe our coach but we need all the help we can get to get through each series. Messing with the hockey gods is just flirting with ….well karma. The Habs of course are the better team. We want to play the easier of the two teams. Not the better.

‘I’m not getting in the middle of this one, Biz. You have to fight your own battles. 91 can choose to cheer for whom ever she wants. I can’t help it if she’s misguided.’ Tygyrl gives her husband a look of complete disgust. ‘Personally, I don’t care at the moment which team wins or loses. Just let it be over so we can start the next series.’

A group of us are in the lounge of hotel watching the Habs and the Islanders square off on several big screen TV’s. Pitchers of beer, platters of food and plates line the coffee tables around us. Hairy is cruising the floor for scraps. Normally, the team would have gone to a pub to watch the game but we are all making concessions. Hairy is not allowed in pubs.

‘New York is a better market to play in ‘cause nobody cares. Truly we can walk down the street naked in the Apple and we would be invisible. Montreal on the other hand would be a gong show. Fans lining up to get into our practices, mobs of people at every venue, and then there is the press. You have to do everything twice, once in English and once in French. It crazy. I say take the easier road.’ I try again.

‘Maybe.’ Is all I get from our coach.

‘Maybe? Tell her Tanger.’ I shake my head in exasperation.

‘Mon ami, Montreal is fou ecrou about hockey. It would be better to be in New York.’ Tanger tries to explain.

‘No, worst than crazy nutso, the Montrealers are passionate people, oui but about their hockey. It is a culture. No, it is the culture. We won’t get any breathing time if we play in Montreal.’ Flower says it better.

‘Maybe.” Tygyrl is not convinced.

‘Okay then you explain to me why you want Montreal to win.’ I’ll try a different tactic.

‘Well, first they are the better team. Second if the Islanders win they gain momentum. They will gain energy from beating the better team. They will play like they don’t have anything to lose well because they won’t. The Islanders don’t have a team to go all the way. We know it. They know it. So they will be hard to beat. Montreal on the other hand is being forced to play hard. If Montreal wins I bet you
they will sit back. They know they are the better team. They will have confidence from the regular season that we are beatable. This over confidence gives us an advantage. We know we can beat them. We did it at Christmas. We did it in February. We will just have to get a game off them early.’ Tygyrl has determination on her face.

‘Price hot in goal. Nabokov we know him. We beat him lots.’ Geno wades into the discussion.

‘Price is beatable.’ Where does she get this stuff? I look at her hard. I give Tygyrl my best death stare. ‘He is Biz. Look, look at all the goals he has let in. Albeit not many but he can be beat.’

‘Okay put together some video of that then. Show us how he is beat able.’ Kuni laughs. The past few days we have been watching tape of our games to improve on holes in our defensive play. We haven’t been studying our opponents but rather lifting up our game.

‘I’ll get Andy on it.’ she plays with her phone.’ It won’t be long before we know whom we play. Wanna bet, Biz? If the Islanders win, I get Lego to come for a visit to watch in New York. If you lose and Montreal wins this game…. You have to puppy sit Hairy for a night.’

‘You’re on. You guys heard that right? The Islanders win and I get a date with the blonde and if the Habs win Hairy gets a date with me.’ I laugh. I look back at the screen near me. The score is tied 1-1 in the middle of the third period. Next goal wins. I reach for a fresh cold beer. It had better be the Islanders.

…..

‘Round two match up start on Wednesday night. It will be interesting to see how the teams square off each other. PJ what’s going on in the west.’ Ron Maclean host of HNIC turns and looks to his left.

‘We have two tight match ups. The Blackhawks versus the Ducks and the Canucks take on the Wild. And wild it will be. The Hawks blew by the Wings in four games. Their top lines racked up a ton of points. The Ducks had a tougher time with the Sharks but still finished their series in 5 games. It will be interesting to see the how the Ducks manage the Hawks. We all know what a season the Hawks had this year going the first 25 games without losing. The Ducks will have their work cut out for them. As for the Wild and the Canucks, on paper the nod in this series should be given to the Canucks. The Sedins and Kesler lines are healthy and firing. The tag team goalies of Luongo and Schneider have been unreal. It will be how much momentum can the young Wild team get from their first visit to the second round? Parise and Suter are veteran guys who are leading a team of young guys. I just not sure how far they will go. My bet would be the dance ends here for them.’ PJ Stock looks at the camera.

‘I’ll give you the Hawks will take the Ducks just based on the regular season play but the Wild have been working a good system under coach Yoe. I think that Vancouver is not going to have such an easy ride. Elliotte, give us the run down in the East.’ Ron now turns the mic over to his far left.

‘The East has been seeing great hockey all season. The Rangers beating the Bruins lived up to the billing of the eastern conference final. But now they have to regroup and look to challenging the Ottawa Senators. The Sens for their part squashed the Leafs. They swept them. They raked them into a pile to be mulched until next fall. The Senators will now take on Tortorella’s machine and it will be one big apple for them to bite. Or Maybe the big apple will bite the Sens.’ Laughter can be heard behind Elliotte Friedman. ‘As for our other match up? The Penguins have waited nearly a week to see whom they play. They had a physical match up with the Flyers and now it’s time for them to step back into the arena. The Pens answered some questions when they lost their captain and head coach. Do they have depth and grit? Yes they do because they are still here. Now they have to face their nemesis the Montreal Canadiens. And the Habs are going to be a tough opponent. They finished higher in the standings than the Penguins. The Habs might even have the advantage of knowing that they that cut the Pens season short in 2010. But I wouldn’t rule out the Pens just yet. Sidney Crosby tends to make big comebacks. He’s fit. He’s hungry and he has something to prove.’

……

‘I’m fine Jen honest. It’s just…. Well just as the guys have been warning me. It’s crazy nutso.’ I feel shakey. I’ve just had my pregame interview with the press. I decided to just do one. I am Canadian and bilingual. So I translate each question to the other language and answer it in both languages. At first Jen was against this but it has played well with the Francophone viewers. Beat them at their own game. Ha. But the crush of media attention is wild.

‘Sit down for a minute, Tylyn. Have something to eat, gather your thought and take a deep breathe, honey you are going to need it. I went out to there already and it is pandemonium.’ Jen Bullano offers me a water bottle. ‘You thought that the crowd was loud in at game 5 in Philly? This one is way worse.’

‘Great.’ I sip the water. I don’t think that I can eat anything as my stomach is doing back flips. I take a deep breath and exhale slowly.

‘Do you know what you’re going to say to the boys?’ She asks. ‘Do you want to run it by me?’

‘Yeah I do. But no….I practiced earlier with my friend Ture the sports psychologist. I think I’ve got it. The core guys know we need to steal one here. They know we need to come out guns blazing. They know we have to drive the momentum.’ This is basically my speech short of a couple of challenges. ‘We need to play Penguin Hockey.’