‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

She's Gone

I tap my fingers on the keys of my computer lost in thought. What to do? What to do? I’ve tried googling options for shows. Organizing a date is harder than it looks. We have just under four full days in New York City and there is so much that I want to do or see. Okay first and foremost will be to steal one game. That’s a given here folks. I mean we are going to the Big Apple to play two games not sight see. But that being said it doesn’t mean that I can’t figure out a date night. It was my idea to see show and have dinner out. Now I just have to make it happen. I haven’t had much time to plan so while we wait for the plane to take off, I’ve been busy trying to figure out a plan.

‘Tylyn, are you okay?’ Ray Shero is looking very concerned.

‘Sure. Why?’ I’m confused by the question.

‘You’re frowning at your computer.’ He adjusts his bag on his shoulder and switches his coffee cup to his other hand. ‘Missing your family?’

‘No, well kinda maybe but no. Mum and Gerry left this morning. It was great to visit with them but now we have a new series to tackle.’ I say as Ray sits down on the seat across from me.

‘But you were frowning? That’s not like you.’

‘I’m fine. I’m just trying to figure out if 87 and I can see a show on Broadway. I’ve been looking at the different shows and the times. I’m just not sure how we can work it into our schedule.’ I explain.

‘What show? Do you know what you want to see?’ Ray pulls out his phone and taps the screen.

‘Well, maybe Phantom of the Opera or Lion King. I like the music in both of those. I don’t know much about some of the others. Have you seen any? Which would you go to?’ Ray really doesn’t look like a go to a musical kinda guy to me but you never know.

‘I’m not much for musicals I’ll have to admit but I’ve seen a few plays. I don’t know if they are still playing.’ Ray works his phone as we talk.

‘Hmmm, I am really struggling with trying to figure out the best time to go.’ I click on the show times again for Lion King. ‘I’d have picked tonight’s show but we play tomorrow at 1pm. 87 is going to have to be rested for the game. So that means an early night. There is no show on Monday.’

‘So go on Sunday evening after the game.’ Ray looks over his half glasses at me.

‘Hmm but the show starts at 630pm… will we be done the game and pressers by then?’ I stare that the screen. And here folks is my dilemma. ‘I guess I just have to wing it.’

I hear my phone slap shots. Hairy, who is in her carrier under the table, knows the sound and starts to chatter. I shush her.

Hckybt: What are you doing?

Chkaddd: talking to the other coaches.

It’s not untrue, as Todd and Tony have sat down at the table. And normally at this point, we’d be watching game tape and reviewing our plan. Or making a plan. Or thinking about a plan. I look at the men around the table. They are all looking at me.
The jet engines rev up and the plane starts to move. Hairy growls at the engines.

‘Tylyn’s is buying tickets to see the Lion King after the game tomorrow.’ Ray tells the other men.

‘I took my family to see it last fall. It was very good.’ Tony smiles at me. ‘Are you going out for dinner afterwards? I don’t think you’ll have time to eat before the show. Sid will be hungry after the game.’

‘I guess.’ I ponder my options. Planning this date night is harder than I thought.

‘There are lots of great places to eat around the theatre. The Bella Vita is an old school romantic restaurant and it has great food.’ Tony nods and smiles to himself. ‘It’s very romantic.’

‘You speaking from experience? ’Todd razzes him.

‘Yes, I am. I proposed to my wife in that restaurant.’ Tony is a sap. ‘You probably don’t know this Tylyn but I played for the Rangers for years. I know New York. Go to the Bella Vita. It won’t disappoint you. Hey, I’ll call Guido the maître d and get you a great table.’

‘Really, thank you. 87 loves pasta.’

‘Sid loves food. Park a plate of hog slop in front of him and he’ll ask for seconds.’ Ray chuckles.

‘Roo?’ Hairy asks.

‘Yes, you an come out.’ I unzip her carrier. She pokes her head up at me and I scratch her behind the ear. ‘Are you going to make sure everyone got on the plane?’

Hairy gives me a wag and dashes up the center aisle.

‘Who is going to look after Hairy when you go out? Biz?’ Todd asks.

‘Yeah, Biz is doing this whole photo shoot thing with her as his girlfriend. I’m pretty sure that he’s set up another session tonight.’

‘Sounds like a date to me.’ Ray has set up the monitor and has game tape of the Rangers queued up.

*******

I know we had a nap. I stifle a yawn. The house lights have come up and the audience is still clapping. 87 played 27 minutes of flat out hockey and he’s holding up better than I am.

‘Did you like it?’ I know that musical theatre is not going to be his thing but hopefully he didn’t hate it.

‘It was better than I thought it was going to be. I mean the costumes and the staging made the show for me. I couldn’t imagine how they were going to depict the African plain but it really worked.’ 87 is standing and clapping for an ovation.

‘I’m glad. I wasn’t sure but I’ve always wanted to see a show. Thank you for coming.’ I stand on my tippy toes and kiss his cheek.

‘You know this is love right?’ 87 leans down and whispers in my ear. ‘This right here. Me standing here. This is love.’

‘You hate this?’ Oh no… I can’t believe that he isn’t happy.

‘Not hate. But I do love watching you watch the show. It’s like when Taylor used to watch this as a child. She totally knew the whole story, all the songs and actions but she still cried every time Mufasa died. It’s the same with you.’ He kisses my fore head.

‘Aww really?’

‘Really. Every time we come to New York we will come to a show. I’m sure I can bore you to death at some military museums.’ He holds my coat for me to put on.

The audience is leaving and we join the lines to exit the theatre. I can’t believe that we’ve been out in public for about 24 hours and no one has asked him for an autograph. Okay outside the arena there was a line up but we had dinner out last night. It’s so great just being normal. I spy a washroom sign and decide to take advantage of it as the crowd is moving slowly.

‘I think I’ll just pop into the washroom’ I tell 87.

‘Okay, I wait over by the pillar.’ He points ahead a few feet.

I duck into the fancy lavatory and use the facilities. There are a number of other ladies milling about. I can hear one conversation that intrigues me.

‘I just don’t get young people today. They get all dressed up but don’t bother to comb their hair or shave. I mean look at the young couple that sat just down from us. She was as pretty as a picture dressed in her Sunday best. Her young man looked fine in his suit but has he shaved in the past month? No. What’s the point of getting dressed up if he’s not going to shave? ‘ The old voice is gravelly.

‘Oh I think he was treating his sister or something. Maybe a cousin to a show in the city. I mean they both had such curly black hair. I’ll bet you that they were related.’ This voice is thin and shaky.

‘They were not siblings or cousins. Did you see him kiss her? No, that was a sweetheart kiss if I ever saw one. No, they aren’t related. Plus I think he was wearing a wedding band.’

Hmmm black curly hair? Kissing? I think there were two older ladies sitting just down from 87 and I. I wonder if she’s talking about us? I know 87 doesn’t have much of a beard but it’s getting longer and fuller now that we are starting the 5th week of the playoffs. Playoff beards are a superstition. They are a must in my world. In fact the whole team are looking like mountain men. I leave the stall and move to the row of sinks to wash my hands. I scan the room looking for the two voices that I heard. I spy two older ladies a couple of sinks down from me. It is them.

‘Personally, I like a clean-shaven man. This perchance for three days growth of beard might look sexy but in my books it just looks lazy.’ The gravelly voice lady continues her argument.

I debate with myself whether I should voice my opinion. These ladies obviously don’t follow hockey or else they’d recognize 87 and understand about the beard.

‘It’s a playoff beard.’ I defend 87. ‘He’s showing team support. I wouldn’t have it any other way.’

‘Excuse me?’ The shaky voice lady turns to me.
‘My husband hasn’t shaved because of the playoffs. He will and does daily but just not during the playoffs.’ I try again. ‘He’s showing support for his team.’

‘Now that’s taking sports a bit too seriously.’ Gravelly voice is looking disgusted. ‘It is just a game.”

‘He’s captain of his team, he leads by example and this is tradition.’ I don’t think that I’m going to make any headway here. It’s not just a game to me. ‘I’m hoping he doesn’t shave until the middle of June at the end of the playoffs.’

‘You’re married then?’ Shaky voice turns to her friend. ‘You were right, Thelma they are married. I hope your husband’s team does well.’

‘Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your evening.’ I wish the ladies well and leave the washroom.

87 is signing a few autographs when I get back to him. I snap photos of him with several young fans. I see the ladies from the bathroom watching us and give them a wave. They have no idea who 87 is. I look at 87 with his playoff beard. He looks different. Kinda of sexy if you ask me.

‘It’s that Sidney Crosby?’ A young boy standing not far from me asks.

‘Yes. Do you want to get your picture taken with him too?’

‘Yeah.’ He calls out. ‘Mom come back. Dad! Look it’s Sidney Crosby!’

The boy is maybe 12 or 13years old. He’s clearly on a family outing. They look like a typical family. Mom, Dad and several siblings. 87 stands with the whole family for a photo.

‘Did ya win?’ the boy asks. ‘I wanted to go to the game but everyone else voted to see The Lion King. We are on vacation from Moncton.’

‘We got by the Rangers.’ 87 teases him. ‘Just.’

‘Sid had a goal and a pair of assists.’ I tell him. I’m proud of my husband. I don’t deny it.

‘That’s awesome. Hey, you’re the coach, are you?’ He spews.

We do another round of photos. This time it is 87 who takes the pictures and I’m with the family. I can’t believe that anyone would want my photo. We laugh and chat about with the family about the show and our game. The family wishes us well and we them on their vacation

‘I’m done here. Let’s get some food.’ 87 lifts my hand and kisses it.

‘Okay, we have reservations at a restaurant not far from here. Tony said it was close enough that we could walk to it.’ I get out my phone to get the location of the Bella Vita.

‘Or we could get room service?’ 87 looks at me.

‘You want to get room service?’ I look up at him.

‘I’ll give you room service if you want it.’ He gives me a come and get it look.

‘If you have that much energy left, then you didn’t give enough to the game. I’ll be speaking to your coach about that.’ I give him a dose of slitty eyes.

*********

The Bella Vita is a beautiful old restaurant. It looks like something out of a movie. Tony Granato was right. It is very romantic.

We are shown to a table towards the back of the room tucked away in a corner. The waiter brings us menus and 87 orders a bottle of wine. I guess I should have done that but I really don’t know anything about wine.

‘What looks good to you?’ The menu is all in Italian and I have to guess what everything means.

‘I’m not sure.’ 87 looks like he is in the same boat.

I dig out my phone again and goggle some of the items for translation.

‘Hey that’s cheating. You’re supposed to live dangerously and order blind.’

‘No, I’m not cheating. I want a hint at what I’m ordering. I know the different kinds of pasta but I don’t want to end up eating oysters or clams or something yucky.’ I’m hungry.

‘You’re going to have to suck that one up, 91.’ 87 laughs at me. ‘You’ve lost your chicken status. You are a Penguin now. You’ve been recognized on the street. Penguins eat seafood.’

‘I’ll eat seafood and fishes but no bivalves. Yuck.’ I squirm and make a gaggy face.

‘I dare you to order blind.’ He challenges me. ‘That means no googling what the words mean.’

‘Hmmm.’ I think about this. I know he’ll eat whatever I order if I don’t like it. But I was hoping for a nice rich tomato pasta dish.

‘Chicken?’

‘Yes. I am. I’m a chicken. I thought that we went over this ages ago.’ I sass him while I read. Then I find what I’m looking for. ‘Okay you’re on.’

‘So what’s it going to be?’ his amber eyes are challenging me.

‘Formaggio Raviolli Bolognese.’ I state proudly.

‘Chicken. That’s basically spaghetti.’

‘Yep. I’m a hungry chicken.’

The waiter returns with a basket of warm bread and our wine and when he leaves with our orders, I lift my glass to toast.

‘Congratulations on stealing today’s game off the Rangers.’

‘To the Rangers for not showing up today.’ 87 smiles as we sip our wine. ‘And to my beautiful wife for supporting us.’

‘I do what I can.’ I tease him. ‘Coaches always stand behind their teams.’

‘Good one, 91.’

We laughed and chatted over our meal. We discuss our plans for the next few days. Tomorrow is going to be busy. Jennifer has organized that I’ll be on Good Morning America, and 87 will be doing some sports tv interviews. We’ll be at practice and then game reviews. Pat Brisson is here in New York so we’ve planned dinner tomorrow with him to discuss our summer plans. I think all in all it was a lovely date.

*********

‘What do you mean you’ve lost her?’

I can’t believe my ears. It was well after midnight when we returned to the hotel. It was a lovely evening so we walked along the streets enjoying not being recognized. This is probably the first time that I can actually say that no one cared who we were. It was so much fun window-shopping and meandering around. 87 and I were just part of the crowd. I can see why famous people like New York. It is easy to be anonymous.

‘You had Hairy on her leash, right?’ 87 listens on his phone. ’I think you need to come here and explain.’

I come out of the bathroom from brushing my teeth. We got back to our room about a half an hour ago. Biz still has Hairy. We stopped by his room but they weren’t there. 87 finally decided to call him because we want to crash.

‘Biz says that Hairy’s missing.’ 87 is pissed. ‘He and TK are coming up to explain.’

‘What do you mean missing? She’s lost? Out there? Alone? By herself?’ I go and look out the window. Hairy doesn’t like noise and confusion. New York is all noise and confusion. Loud music, sirens, traffic noise. There is a constant din. I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Hairy acts tough but she’s really a big ‘fraidy cat. She’s a rescue pup but not street smart at all. ‘Is anyone out looking for her?’

‘We’ll find out in a minute.’ 87 who stripped off his suit is now getting dressed again in jeans and a t-shirt. This prompts me to get into my running clothes.

It seems to take forever for the knock on the door. Biz, TK, Cooke and Sutter are standing outside when 87 opens the door.

‘Where’s Hairy?’ I choke out the words.

‘She took off.’ TK starts.

‘What do you mean she took off? Why wasn’t she on her leash?’ 87 yells at him. ’You know she’s skittish around traffic.’

‘I let her off just for a few seconds.’ TK tries again. But 87 holds up his hand to stop the conversation.

‘Biz. You had her what happened?’ I’ve seen 87 mad only a few times and mostly in hockey games. He looks like he could kill.

‘We were down on the lower east side in a little restaurant. I thought it would be fun to set up a photo like from Lady and the Tramp. You know the old Disney cartoon with the scene in the Italian restaurant where the two dogs are eating in the alley way from the same noodle of spaghetti?’ Biz looks questioningly.

‘Yeah so where is Hairy?’ 87 pushes again.

‘We shot the photo. It turned out great. We had dinner and then we were walking around working our way back here when Cookie here suggested that maybe we should get a photo of Hairy and I looking at diamond engagement rings. ‘ Biz explains.

‘Biz, Sutts and I went into a Starbucks to get a coffee.’ Cooke starts but doesn’t finish.

‘What the hell happened? You left TK here holding on to the leash right?’ 87 starts to yell.

‘We went into get coffee. TK took Hairy across the road to a park and when we got back. She was gone.’ Sutts puts it out there.

‘What?’ All eyes on now on TK. ‘ I let her off the leash for just a second so she could chase some pigeons.’

‘And you were watching her?’ 87 asks

‘Yeah….’ TK starts.

‘No, you weren’t. You were chatting up some ladies when we got back. You had no idea where Hairy was.’ Biz challenges him. ‘We left you alone for maybe 10 minutes. You couldn’t concentrate on holding a leash for 10 minutes?’

‘Did you look for her? Did you call for her?’ I ask

‘We did Tylyn. We really did but with all the noise….’ Sutter looks as sick as I feel.

‘Why are you back here? Why aren’t you out there now? Why didn’t you call us?’ 87 is beyond his boiling point.

‘It’s so dark out and noisy. We did look for her for over an hour but it’s late. We decided to try again in the early morning when it’s quieter and light out.’ Cooke explains. ‘I don’t think she can hear us. Normally, she’s good about coming when we call.’

I stare out at the city broken hearted. I’m worried. Hairy’s not great around traffic. She runs out into traffic all the time. I feel tears running down my face.

‘We’ll get her back, Tylyn.’ Biz touches my shoulder. ‘Hairy’s a fourth liner. She’s a tough little thing. We’ll get everyone together and go out at first light. We’ll find her.’

It all sounds good but I’m not convinced. These guys only know Hairy when she is comfortable in her surroundings. She doesn’t know this place at all. What if someone takes her? All I can think about is Hairy’s gone. She’s gone like the old Chilliwack song. All I can think of is all the bad things out there. Gone is the joy of our win this afternoon. Gone is the enjoyment of seeing the Lion King. Gone is the romance from dinner. All I feel is a great foreboding doom.