‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Dont' Rain on My Parade

CS 33 Don’t Rain on My Parade.

4 hours of sleep is not enough. I look at my watch. Nope four hours is truly not enough sleep but I made this appointment a couple of days ago so I won’t miss it. 91 is snuggled in my arms. We are finally home in our bed after hoisting the cup, a locker room celebration that continued through the plane ride back to PIT. We stumbled in here just a short 4 hours ago. I pull the duvet from the bottom of the bed and wrap her up in it. There is no need for her to wake up yet. I slip out the bed, slide into the t-shirt and shorts that I left beside the bed. In the bathroom, I brush my teeth and wash my face to help me wake up. I hear the soft clicking of Hairy’s nail on the tiles behind me.

‘Hey girl. I’m going out this morning. You want to come?’ I say to the little black and white dog. She yawns and blinks her eyes at the bright light. Even the dog looks tired.

‘Ooowoo.’ Hairy turns her sad face up towards me.

‘You go back to sleep, eh. I’ll be back in a jiffy.’ I tousle her ears.

‘Ahru.’ Hairy turns and walks back to her crate in the closet.

‘I love you too.’

Outside I maneuver the Rover through the streets to my favorite barbershop. I park and walk into the shop that Harv and Morty recommended a few years ago. It’s an old school place with three chairs, straight razors and honest people. A bell tings as I open the door.

‘Hey guys, look what the cat dragged in. Congratulations Sid. That was a beautiful goal last night.’ Phil the owner comes over to shake my hand. He pulls me in for a hug. ‘You looking to get rid of that caveman look?’

‘Yeah Phil. It’s time for it to go. The playoffs are over and we looking forward to a busy summer.’ I say.

‘Want a coffee or anything, Sid? No? Then park your butt here and let’s get started.’ Phil shows me to the middle chair. ‘Harv was in here yesterday. He was saying the Morty doesn’t have long. You and the coach gonna get over to see him?’

‘Yeah, this morning. Ty’s grandmum is staying with Harv. She called us last night and said that they watched the game. Morty doesn’t have long. Ty wanted to go straight over when the plane landed but we talked her out of it. We were all exhausted.’ And drunk. But I’m not mentioning that here.

‘That was probably a good choice. So there is a parade today and a bunch of hoopla over at the CEC. Is Mario throwing a party tonight?’

‘Yeah. So I hear. The parade is just the same as the 2009 one. The parade begins at the corner of Grant Street and Seventh Avenue, with turns on the Boulevard of the Allies. Finally, we will gather on a stage at Stanwix Street to give brief speeches. It should be a spectacle.’ My voice is muffled by the warm towel on my face. ‘Then over to Mario’s for a feast.’

‘Well you’ve earned it. It has been an amazing run. You’ve brought the city alive again. Did you see the street party they had over at the big screen? I was going to go but the police closed down whole roads to try to control the scene. I suspect that today’s parade with mirror every Yinzers enthusiasm.’ Phil has started working on my beard. ‘This thing is lot thicker this time. You’re not a kid anymore, Sid.’

‘No, I guess someone will have to come up with a better moniker.’ I laugh.

‘Relax back and let me clean you up. It will feel nice in just a bit.’ Phil’s gravelly voice is just the tonic I need. As soon as I close my eyes, I can feel myself drift off.

*****

Alpha is brushing me out on the deck. Alpha says we have to look our best because we are going to be in a parade. I’m not sure what a parade is but she’s seems set on getting out all the tangles on my tummy. She is talking on her phone with the ear piece thing. The sun is warm and glinting off my pool.

‘I know Mama. Mum said that Morty watched the whole game last night. She said that he saw 87 help me lift the cup over my head. It’s so heavy I didn’t want to drop it. I know Gerry loved it. We must have texted and talked for an hour after the game.’

I can’t hear the response but what I do hear is the elevator click as it stops in the laundry room. I stand up and wag. It’s got to be Cappy coming back. He left early this morning.

‘Hello?’ I call out.

‘Hello! In you two go.’ It is Cappy and he’s talking to someone. I jump off the stool that I’ve been standing on when Tater and Beluga come out on to the deck. Both of them blink in the sunlight.

I go over and welcome them both with a sniff. Tater is eyeing up my pool. Beluga goes over to Alpha.

‘Mama can I call you back? 87 has just come through the door with our two new dogs, Tater and Mellow. I’ll call you back. Tots zens. Say hi to everyone.’ Alpha sets down her headset. ‘Hello Miss Mellow how are you?’

The big yellow dog wags her tail. And Alpha gives her a hug.

‘I thought that we were going to get these two tomorrow?’ Alpha asks Cappy.

‘Yeah but I thought that they could come with us to the parade. Is it a problem? I mean Hairy’s here so why can’t they be?’ Cappy doesn’t look that same. His teeth are still busted but his hair is short and his face is hairless. I give him a sniff to make sure it’s really him.

‘No, I guess not. Hairy is going to ride with me in a car. Will you take Tater and Mellow?’

Hey when did we start calling Beluga, Mellow? I can see Mellon because she’s pretty fat but Mellow? What’s with that?

‘Dad has bought them crates. He’s coming over later to deliver them. He also thinks we should drive up to Nova Scotia.’ Cappy sits down in a lounge chair. Tater is exploring my deck. Mellow lays down at Cappy’s feet. She is such a suck up.

‘Do we have time? How long would it take us?’ Alpha asks.

‘It’s maybe 2000 clicks. It will take the better part of two days. Think about it. I’m not convinced. We would then have to drive a vehicle back here in the fall. But if you want, we can work it out.’ Cappy continues. ‘The dogs are going have to travel by plane eventually. In fact we are going to have a few changes to our summer schedule.’

‘Really? Why?’ Alpha asks.

‘The cup. We each get a day with the cup. So be prepared. Gerry is already planning your day with the cup, 91. You should hear his plans.’ Cappy laughs. ‘Gerry called me this morning. He’s so excited.’

Hmmm I wonder when my day will be with the cup? I am a big part of this team.

I leave them talking about changes to our summer plans. Tater is now inside my house and climbing up the steps to the roof. I bound up behind him. It’s going to be great having someone my size to play with when I hear Cappy’s phone buzz.

*******

We have done the full range of emotions today. I feel like I’ve gone from the highest of high to the lowest of low. My shoes click on the polished tiles of the hospital floor as we walk down the long hallway to Morty’s room. I see a group of people outside his door. Their heads are bent down. Tears well up in my eyes. I know I’m tired from lack of sleep but I am taken over by an overwhelming wave of sadness. 87 pulls me close for a hug.

‘I’m so sorry this isn’t better news but …’ Harv is looking his age today. ‘You said to call if there was a change.’

‘We did. It’s okay the parade doesn’t start until 230pm. We’ve got a bit of time. How is Morty?’ 87 speaks quietly. ‘How are you holding up?’

‘I’m fine. Having Helen here has been a blessing. I couldn’t have done this again without …’ Harv’s voice cracks.

‘The hockey?’ Mum says from behind him.

‘No, without your support.’ Harv face softens as he looks at Mum. ‘Morty’s slipping away. We watched the game last night. I amazed that he had the energy to watch the whole thing but he did. Then this morning… he’s just fading away.’

‘Can we go in and see him?’ I ask. I don’t really want to but I do think we should go and say our goodbyes like Mama said we should.

‘Yes, Chicken. You should. But be prepared Morty’s very weak and raspy.’ Mum has linked her arm through mine. ‘He doesn’t have long now.’

87 and I stand just inside the doorway to the room. Rachel is sitting by his bed. Her head is bowed in prayer. Morty is old and wrinkly but he looks like a ghost. His breathing is slow and erratic. We stand there and watch Morty breathing. I feel tears pour down my face. In my heart of hearts, I know that this will be the last time we will see him. Morty opens his eyes and lifts a finger towards 87 and I.

‘He’s been waiting for you, two. Thank you so much for coming.’ Rachel says as she stands up. ‘Come over here. It’s easier for Father to see you here.’

‘Thank you for letting us visit today, Rachel. We really appreciate your kindness. ‘ I listen as 87 speaks. ‘And you old man. Is this another ploy for attention?’

‘No, Sidney. That was the display you put on last night. It was well done.’ Morty rasps out. It seems to take all of Morty’s energy to speak. ‘Well done. Take care of our girl. You hear.’

‘I will Morty. You know I will.’ I watch my husband as he speaks. Tears are in his eyes. ’I know you’ll be watching us from above. And will send down bolts of lightening if I screw up.’

‘When… you screw up.’ Morty still has his spunk. ‘You’ll see a huge light show.’

I know I should say something but I can’t think of anything. And I don’t want to screw it up. I hold Morty’s hand and give it a kiss.

‘Don’t cry, Tylyn.’ How can Morty comfort me when he’s the one dying? Shouldn’t it be me supporting him? ‘This is part of life. Love each other. And look after Harv for me.’

‘We will.’ I choke out. ‘ We love you so much.’

87 holds me as Morty closes his eyes. Talking seems to be draining the life out of him. We sit there for ages with me holding Morty’s hand and 87 holding me.

‘You go. Don’t miss the parade.’ Morty wheezes. ‘Tylyn give Mayor Ravenstahl a piece of your mind. You earned it.’

‘Come on, Ty.’ 87 says in my ear as he stands me up. He leans over Morty and kisses his cheek and says. ‘Bye Morty. Enjoy sweet talking all the pretty angels in heaven.’

I can’t say anything so I kiss Morty too. Rachel walks us to the door and thanks us for coming again. She tells us that his funeral will be the day after he passes in accordance with Jewish law. I assume we will get the details from Harv or Mum. It’s nice that they have each. I hug Mum before we leave while 87 talks to Harv. Today is an emotional roller coaster.

****

‘Are you sure you are going to be okay?’ Sidney and Tylyn both look worn out. They have just joined us at the marshaling area. The team and coaches are assembled with the Stanley Cup and are being organized into pairs to ride in the parade.

‘Yes, thank you. I think we are just short sleep.’ Sid answers for both of them. ’Our friend Morty died an hour or so ago. It’s been a tough morning. We were glad we got to see him shortly before he passed but…’

‘I wish we could have put this off but it’s tradition to bring home the cup.’ Jennifer Bullano answers for all of us standing around. ‘The thought was that you two would ride together with the cup.’

‘No, really? Shouldn’t 87 ride with Geno or Flower like in 2009? Or with Kuni or Duper?’ Tylyn looks aghast. ‘I should be with the coaches. Not 87.’
‘Well normally that’s what we would do but since you two are married. We thought this would be more appropriate.’ Jen is trying to organize. ‘What would you like to do?’

‘I agree with 91. Let me ride with one of the guys and maybe have 91 ride with Dan.’ Sid stretches. It’s been decided that Dan will ride in the back of a convertible. ‘ Hairy can ride with them.’

‘Are you sure?’ I ask again.’ I’d love sharing the ride with Tygyrl but I don’t want to mess with your superstitions.’

‘I’ll love riding with you, Dan. I think if I was with 87 I’d just start crying again.’ I can see that Tylyn’s emotions are just under the surface.

‘It’s settled in my mind then, JLo. You go sort out who will ride with Sid and the cup in the back of the truck. Tygyrl and I’ll take the Infinity convertible. Hey Hairy, are we going to go for a car ride and wave at the peoples?’ I kneel down and give Hairy an ear rub.

‘Yip!’ the little dog smiles up at me.

‘Our chariot is this way, ladies.’ I usher the girls towards the black saloon car.

‘Is there going to be many people?’ Tygyrl asks me.

‘At the last parade in 2009, it was estimated that about 325,000 people lined the route. Reports say that this time there is going to be twice as many.’ I watch as Tygyrl goes paler. ‘We’ve got this one. This is easy. We sit. We wave and we have a laugh.’

‘That’s easy for you to say. Jen wants to talk when we get to Stanwix Street. I don’t think I can do that.’ She gasps.

‘Keep is short and sweet just like you.’ I open the door so we can climb in the back. Someone has put a thick mat on the back so we can sit up on the back of the car with our feet on the back seat. I hand Tylyn in to the car. ‘Don’t forget your goal. Mayor Ravenstahl. You get one hour of his time to talk about any subject that you want.’

‘Thanks Dan.’ Tygyrl adjusts the skirt of her sundress so I can sit down beside her. ‘I’ll just thank the community for their support then.’

‘Sounds good. We’ll work on this as we drive along.’ I tell her. Our driver walks up to the car. I put my hand out to introduce ourselves to him but I’m cut off.

‘Darrell? Is that you?’ Tygyrl is very excited. She jumps up and hugs the tall burly man. ‘Darrell from Classy Cabs?’

‘Yessum. I asked if I could drive you. I wouldn’t want anyone else to do the job. Now you sit yourself back there and smile at the crowd.’ Darrell tips his head toward me. ‘ And you just be thankful that this little girl saved your hide. You’ve got little shoes to fill next year, Mr Bylsma.’

‘I know, Darrell, I know.’ I laugh. ‘You just be worried for Mayor Ravenstahl. She’s on his case next.’

*****

I stretch out on the couch in the dark and turn on my computer. I log onto the Penguins website and click on the highlight video labeled. “Stanley Cup Champions Parade”. It’s been a full year now since I put this plan in motion. I watch the video play out in front of me. The house is asleep so I don’t turn on the volume.

The crowd lining the parade route cheered as the cars and trucks passed carrying the Stanley Cup Champions. The sun shone down on the scene. Speeches were given congratulating everyone’s efforts and hard work. The Hockey Butt Blues play out over loud speakers and people danced in the streets. Sidney and Tylyn are together on the stage. He helps her lift the huge trophy above her head.

‘Whatcha doing?’ David’s voice disturbs the silence.

‘Just watching Sid and Tylyn at their parade last week.’ I say.

‘You did good there, Peeka. I know I should not encourage you but you did good.’ David is going for stern but I can hear the humour in his tone.

‘I did good yes. But so did you. When you met them last summer, you knew it as much as me. They were meant to be together.’ I poke back at him. ‘Just as much as you and Ture.’

‘I know. Thank you for him. I know you set this whole thing up. But thank you.’ David sits behind me to watch the video. ‘Play it again Peeka. It’s nice to see them so happy.’

‘Yeah. Are you and Ture are going to make it out to Madrona this summer when they are visiting?’

‘We wouldn’t miss it. I hear from Ture that you’ve invited Lego and Bisnasty and Sam and Tylyn’s brother Jory. Are you going for broke?’ he teases me.

‘Oh I didn’t start those relationships but it doesn’t mean we can’t help them along.’ I smile at the computer screen. Sid is kissing Tylyn while Mario yells at them something about there is no kissing in hockey. What does he know?