‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Starting Point

CS 6 Starting Point

I intend to pound whatever joker messed with my watch. I know before we took off tonight from Edmonton that I turned off the alarm on it. I don’t have to look at it to know that it probably says 430am. Fortunately, the quiet beeping hasn’t woken up 91. She’s cuddled into my right side with her nose buried into my armpit. Her hair still smells like the bubble bath scent. It makes me smile.

I talked 91 into to checking into the Sylvia Hotel, the fabulous old hotel we had such a goodtime in last fall, last night. The ivy-covered building located English Bay holds very fond memories for both of us. I knew that my flight from Edmonton would not be landing much before midnight Vancouver time so we agreed to meet there. I unlocked the door to the suite and was met with the wafts of cinnamon. The lights in the suite were on low. Actually, the only light on in the living area was a lamp beside the couch. There was a wicker picnic basket on the kitchen table. The door to the bedroom was ajar. I set my key on the vanity at the entry beside 91’s purse and keys. I hung my suit jacket up in the closet and loosen my tie.

‘Ty? Are you here?’ I called out quietly in case she’s sleeping.

’87? Is that you?’ her voice came from the bedroom area. I walked through, put my bag on the low bench at the foot of the huge bed. I’m half expecting her to leap out and hug me in excitement. She normally does. I see her bag is set on a chair by the window. It’ s open. I turned toward the bathroom. The door is open and I see flickering. Candles are flickering in the room. I take off my tie and start unbuttoning my dress shirt. I kick off my shoes toward my bag. Yes. I walk to the door and peer into the murky light. I can see that the tub is full of water and bubbles. The scent of cinnamon is strong in here. It didn’t take me long to start stripping off my shirt.

‘Oh go slower.’ 91’s sweet voice encourages me. She was laying her tummy floating in the water. Her curls piled on her head. So I took my time. If she wants a strip tease, I’ll not be the man to deny her. That was hours ago. By the time I hit the water, causing a tsunami I was fully aroused and ready for her. I smile thinking about our float in her birdbath as she called it.

I should be tired. I lay thinking something is missing. We had great satisfying sex. We had a picnic and shared a bottle of wine. We then tumbled back here into bed. I nibbled my way up one side of her and down the other finishing off nestled between her legs while she came again. She is totally spent. A job well done, I think. But something is missing. Someone is missing. I can’t shake the memory of the crying at the door from a couple of nights ago when I surprised 91 for Valentines Day. Hairy cried when we left to go for dinner. She puppy sobbed at being left home. She was heart broken. I wonder how she is tonight. I look down at 91 who is totally content. I wonder if Hairy is feeling left out.

I ease from underneath 91. She doesn’t stir. I wrap her up in the quilt and put pillows on either side of her. I watch 91 for a few minutes. Maybe I should wake her up. No. I won’t be long. I order a taxi from the desk while I dress in the living room. I slide into my jeans, t-shirt and grab a warm up jacket. I lift 91’s keys up carefully so they don’t jingle. I slip out of the door and go to find my taxi.

The yellow cab is waiting for me. I give the driver the Kitsilano address. It’s dark, drizzly and dank outside. There are no cars to get in our way and the lights all work in our favor so we make great time. The taxi pulls on to the tree-lined street. I look for the house.

‘It’s there on the right. Just pull into the driveway, I shouldn’t be long. Please just wait here’ I have the car door open and the keys in my hand. I approach the door and lift the postal flap. ‘Hairy, are you there?’

No answer. I hear her nails click across the tile foyer when I drop the flap. I open it again.

‘Hey girl.’ I hear her yawn. The little dog growls and starts to bark.’ It’s me Hairy. Shush little one.’

‘Rrroooo?’ she asks.

I open the door a little so she doesn’t dash out. I kneel down prepared to catch her. But Hairy doesn’t dash. She climbs right up my thigh puts her front paws on my shoulder and licks my face. The whole time she is whimpering and making owoo noises.

‘Come on, you want to come with 91 and me?’ I ask. I don’t know how I expect the dog will answer but she hops off my knee sits, down and says one single. Yip. ‘ You want to come?’

‘Yip.’ She wags her tail.

‘Okay, then Hairy. Let’s gather up your things then. Go get your ball. Hairy get your ball.’ 91’s little Sheltie/Papillion is smart. She bounds up the stairs to the attic and moments later she returns with a pink tennis ball. ‘Now where is your leash and harness?’

I follow Hairy to the back of the house through the kitchen into the back entryway using my phone as a flashlight. Hanging from a hook by the door is her harness and leash. Hairy is dancing around on her hind legs trying to reach them. I shine the light around and find an empty shopping bag. Great. I lift the items down. I kneel down and put the harness on her. She licks my face.

‘Now go bring me your heart. Go get Heart.’ I get a few dog biscuits and a bone that Hairy has discarded from the floor. I go back to the front door. Hairy has found me in the dark. She’s carrying the blood red satin heart I gave her a couple of days ago. I clip the leash on her, put the small stuffie in the bag and we close the door. I lock it and we run out to the cab. I open the door, slide in and tap my leg for Hairy to jump. She makes the leap and lands on my lap while her tail thumps on my arm.

‘Back to the Sylvia, please.’ I say to the driver. I ruffle the black and white fur on Hairy’s neck. Hairy yips as if in concurrence.

…..

‘Okay, it probably wasn’t my best thought out plan to date but I just felt bad for her.’ I’m waiting outside the ferry terminal at Horseshoe Bay. There aren’t too many people around this early on a Monday morning. ‘ Oh we had a nice day yesterday. We went for a run around Stanley Park, had a late brunch in a restaurant with an outdoor seating area so Hairy could join us and then mostly hung out playing video games. Our friend David invited us to dinner. He lives down town here. It was lovely.’

‘Sounds nice. And you took the little dog with you?’ Mom disbelieving.

‘Yeah, David said it was okay. Hairy was very well behaved. So far the only problem has been the restaurants. No dogs allowed.’

‘Can you take the dog back to Tylyn’s place. I mean she’s obviously used to been there by herself all day when Tylyn is out.’

‘I guess so but if we’re going to be a family then I’ll just have to learn to make some concessions.’ I’m not going to confess to Mom that having Hairy around has put a bit of a damper on our sex life. Last night Hairy took forever to settle down. Evidently, she always sleeps with her blanket. Who knew? So eventually I took my sweaty undershirt from our morning run and put in on the dog pillow that the Sylvia provided for Hairy. It seemed to help her. I wanted to bring the pillow into the bedroom but 91 was adamant. Hairy would sleep in the living room. ’91 is making concessions to my life by moving to Pittsburgh. It’s the least I can do to make her feel welcome.’

Hairy has been sniffing around the grass and trees while I’ve been talking. She’s been keeping a watchful eye on a couple of seagulls fighting over some discarded food by the garbage can. I’ve been watching the huge white ferry dock. It shouldn’t be long now. I glance at my watch. It’s almost ten after eight in the morning.

‘Sid, you will say hello to Tylyn’s family for us.’

‘Yes, of course, Mom. Look I had better go. The ferry has docked. Say hi to Dad and Pappy. Love ya.’

‘Take care, son. Have a good game tomorrow. I love you, too.’ I press the end button on my phone and put it in my pocket. I can see people starting to exit the terminal. Several city buses have pulled up and are blocking my view to the front door. ‘Come on Hairy. Let’s move for a minute.’

We walk along the waterfront back towards the terminal when Hairy starts barking. Not the excited yips like when she remembered me on Thursday evening but quieter. Calmer.

‘Do you see him, Hairy?’ I ask her as I scan the crowd exiting the building. Hairy is tugging on her end of the leash when I hear.

‘SID. Over here Sid.’ It’s 91’s Uncle Gerry. I’ve in invited him over to spend today with the team. I lift my hand and wave to him. I smile as he starts jogging toward me. I brace myself just in case Gerry tackles me.

…..

Hckybt: Got Gerry. We’re off to practice.

Chkaddd: say hi. Make sure he goes to washroom. He forgets sometimes.
RHylkema: thx sid. Pls remind him about his lunchtime antibiotics. With food pls.

Hckybt: ok. Does he do coffee?

Chkaddd: yes but only decaf.

Chkaddd: and NO dairy at all. He’s lactose intolerant.

Hckybt: is that a bad thing?

Chkaddd: upset tummy and really bad gas. VERY BAD.

Hckybt: Right. Got that one.

Gerry’s phone: Were at GM place. Sids with fans. He got me a cofe.

Chkaddd: pls be nice. This is Sid’s work.

Gerry’s phone: I am. I took his picture. Hary barked.

Chkaddd: Hairy’s with you???

Gerry’s phone: Yes, sid brout her in with us.

Chkaddd: take a toy for her so she’ll be good.

Gerry’s phone: it’s ok sid gave her a puk.

…….

‘Hey guys.’ Sid calls out to get our attention. He’s finally arrived in the locker room to get dressed for our practice. Travelling with Sid in Canada is usually an exercise in patience. Throngs of fans show up to see him. Our practices are always crowded and the media attention is generally nutso. ‘I’d like you to meet Ty’s Uncle Gerry and this is Hairy.’

Uncle Gerry looks to be in his early 40’s, not too tall with thinning sandy blonde hair. He’s obviously has Down’s syndrome. He’s looking around at us in our various stages of undressed and dressed in awe. The little fine boned dog on the other hand has set down a puck and is giving the place a sniff. You can see recognition on Gerry’s face as he focuses faces he knows. Gerry’s eyes are very round and set wide on his face but when he looks at Flower in his under armour his eyes almost bug out. He points at our goalie and tells Sid it’s Flower. His voice shaking and very loud. Actually he does this with most of the team. He knows us all by our locker room nicknames.

‘I’m Biznasty’ I hold out my hand to shake his. Gerry grabs my hand shakes it very hard. ‘It’s a pleasure to meet you.’

‘Hello, Biznasty. I get your twitters.’ He tells me. ’Tylyn set it up for me.’

‘Yeah, Gerry but there are people very important to the team that you probably don’t know. Come through to the hall here and meet the equipment guys.’ Sid leads his soon to be Uncle in law in to a hallway opposite the change rooms.

The little black and white dog follows them. When Sid returns, she is still with him. He unhooks her lead so she can return to sniffing around. You can tell that she’s smart little thing from her intelligent eyes. She listens to Sid with a smile on her face as he tells her to stay by his stall. Then she yips once in reply. It’s like she just said yes in response to him.

‘Hey Sid. Did that dog just answer you?’ Kuni laughs.

‘Probably, Hairy’s bright.’ Sid says as he reaches down to stroke the silky fur on her back. ’You’re smarter than a fourth liner aren’t you?’

‘Yip’ replies the little dog. She looks like she’s smiling up at him. Sassy little thing. This brings a roar of laughter from the guys.

‘What breed is the dog?’ Glass asks. He’s kneeling down letting her sniff his hand.

‘Sheltie Papillion. Or that’s what 91 thinks.’ I can see the sheltie in her height, thin frame and markings. She is mostly black with a white blaze that runs between her eyes and over her nose, under her throat on to her chest. Hairy’s front paws have white socks and the very tip of her tail is white. She gets her delicate face, and fringed ears and legs from the Papillion. Her coat is of medium length, thin and silky.

Glass picks up the puck that the dog set down and rolls it along the floor away from her. She watches it for a minute, then goes picks it up and sets it by Sid. Glass taps the floor in front of him. The little dog looks at him in as much to say you’re joking right?

‘Play with him Hairy. It’s okay. ‘ Sid tells her. You can see that she’s thinking about it. But she does take the puck back to Glass whom again rolls the puck across the room harder this time. She trots over to where it falls over between Bertuzzo and Depres. She looks up at the two very large Dmen. She picks up her puck and looks at them. Bertuzzo gives her a growl and tries to take the puck off her. She jumps straight up and dances out of his way. She curls back her lip and growls at him. Never once letting go of her puck.

‘Oh yeah that’s Tygyrl’s dog. Small, sassy with great puck control.’ I chirp him. ‘C’mere Hairy. Don’t listen to him. I’ll play nice with you.’

She looks at me. Kinda sizing me up and down. Then brings the puck over and sets it down. I’m about the same height and size of Bertie but she’s not fazed at all. Talk about small man syndrome. She backs up and gets in a play stance. Her back end is up, tail wagging and she has stretched out her front legs on the floor. We play until Sid returns from the showers and is mostly dressed. She takes him the puck. But not to play instead she sits in front of him.

‘You’re a good girl.’ He says to her. Sid hands her a glove. Her nose twitches. She rolls it around on the floor. Sniffs in inside it. Hockey gloves get very sweaty and smelly. I wouldn’t put my nose near one but she seems happy enough.

We are about to head out on to the ice for our practice when Gerry and Dana come into the room.

‘Gerry, you gonna sit in the stands and watch?’ I ask him.

‘Yeah. Sid says I can watch from the bench.’ He answers. ‘Right Sid?’

‘Yeah. Bring Hairy with you please Gere.’

‘She don’t like rinks Sid. She gets cold.’ How does a dog with a fur coat get cold?

‘Oh. Take my warm up jacket to wrap her in.’ Sid digs in his hockey bag in front of his stall and as he does Hairy jumps into the big bag. ‘Hey you, this is not a dog crate.’

She licks his face barks short excited yips and yaps but as Sid starts to lift her out she cries out a long oooh sound just like she said no.

‘Ooooow’ Hairy says again as Sid starts to lift her out of the bag.

‘You want to stay in my hockey bag?’ He asks the dog.

‘Yip’ is her answer

‘Are you going to get out of the bag?’

‘Ooooow’

‘Are you going to chew anything?

‘Ooooow’

‘Okay fine. Hairy stay in the hockey bag. Stay right there. We’ll be back.’ Our captain tells the dog. For her part, Hairy’s head barely pokes out the top of the big black bag. She is panting a bit but it looks like she’s smiling.

‘Yip’ she’s a hockey dog, I think. A Penguin hockey dog because she’s already dressed in our colours. Black and white.

……

The teasing started in the locker room. Okay actually, it started on the ice. No, that’s not right either it started when we walked into the rink out at UBC for a Monday evening practice. My team usually has early morning practices but this is a special one . We had a bye this weekend as next weekend we are heading to a mini tourney in Calgary. We are having extra practices all week. Normally, I just play when we are at home but my coach asked me to join the team on this trip as we will play 6 games in 4 days over reading break. I am so excited. It is my first hockey road trip. Well at least my first ice hockey trip. I’ve been going to field hockey tourneys for years.

87 insisted in coming with me to watch our practice. I did try to talk him out of it. It’s just girl hockey. Who cares? He laughed at me and said he did. So my teammates started teasing me as we walked hand in hand across the parking lot. 87 had a hold of Hairy ‘s leash and I drug my hockey bag. The first one to notice was Keeley one of my wingers and by the time we got inside 87 was busy signing autographs and having his picture taken. They teased me in the locker room while we dressed to go on the ice. Mostly it was little things like. “OMG, how do you keep your hands off him?” or “ Jeez girl what the hell are you doing here? Go jump that man.” To be fair to the girls, they have been very complimentary.

Our practice tonight is mostly drills and working on some set plays. Thank goodness because nobody’s focusing. 87 is just sitting in the stands watching. He has a ball and is playing with Hairy. I wanted to leave her at the Kit’s house but 87 said he’d watch over her. So there they are about midway up the stands playing fetch with the ball. When Hairy got bored she walked back to him and sat on his knee. At one point, Ashley pointed out that 87 had Hairy tucked under his coat. All you could see was her little face poking out above the zipper of his warm up jacket. I think it was Ashley who started the “oh my aching ovaries” comments.

But the real ribbing came as we showered down after practice. I was stripping off my sweaty gear and listening to the banter.

‘Did you see him? He’s gorgeous, Tylyn. You are so lucky. I thought I was going to die when he got up and stretched. His thighs are the size of my waist. God and that ass!’ Ashley’s at it again. She’s fanning herself with her hand.

‘Oh Ash, you’ve got it bad. I wanted to trade places with the dog. Tucked up tight against that chest. Licking him. I’d love to lick him.’ Jessie one of our D girls starts panting. ‘Do you lick him, Tylyn? Come on you can tell us.’

‘Sometimes, I like the way he smells. Sweet, musky, almost spicey.’ I tease them back.

‘Stop now. I don’t want to hear anymore. I’ll never sleep tonight and I have an exam tomorrow.’ Sarah our number goalie whines. ‘I couldn’t believe it when it came on the news tonight. Sid went to your school?’

‘What was on tv?’ a voice from across the room asks.

‘Global TV came to my school where I’m a reading assistant. I’ve organized a lunchtime floor hockey league. Kids from different classes form teams. So 5,6,and 7th graders are in divided into 10 teams. And the Primaries have 8 teams. Each team has the same number of students from each grade. It’s been pretty fun. We are playing for the Flat Stanley Cup. Sid came to the school with a few of his tea mates and a couple of Vancouver Canucks. It was a surprise for me too. Mr Keppler, our principal, knew and called an assembly. We are winding down our play offs. We are down to the final four teams in the older grades and the final two teams in the primary league. Mr Keppler set it up so the whole school could watch the 3 games today. The two primary teams left believe it or not are called the Penguins and the Canucks. They were to play first. When Mr Keppler announced the teams the NHL’er’s much to the surprise of all the kids followed the kids on to the floor.’ I pause.

‘You should youtube it just to see the faces of the kids. It was like… well exactly how I felt tonight seeing Sid. Totally awe struck.’ Sarah sighs. ‘Your Uncle Gerry was with them on the newscast but he didn’t come to our practice?’

‘No, Biznasty and a few of the guys took him out to dinner tonight then to go bowling. Would you come to a girls hockey practice or hanging with the NHL’ers?’ I ask.

‘Hell, where did they go? Maybe we can catch up.’ This brings a burst of wolf whistles and whoops of horny hockey girls. Who would have thought? My teammates never cease to amaze me. Mind you all I can think of is 87.

‘I don’t know.’ I laugh.

‘Of course you don’t care ‘cause your going home with that wonderful butt of a guy. God I’m soaking my underwear just thinking about that ass.’

‘I don’t think my ovaries could take more just looking. I feel like I’m burning up.’ Ashley moans out again.

‘He’s going to be great with kids. You can tell just watching Sid playing with the kids today at the school. Let alone how patient he is with your dog. Lucky things the pair of you. I can’t believe your going to marry him in just a few weeks.’

‘Hell, I can’t believe that you get to fondle that whenever you want.’

‘Neither can I!’ This makes them all laugh and throw towels at me. I am lucky. But all this talk of sex has me thinking.

I left our locker room with my wingers. 87 is standing chatting to Karen our coach. He looks so handsome it takes my breath away. Hairy is nosing around her tennis ball. They look up as we walk toward them. It’s then when I realize that this is the start of my own family. 87, me and Hairy are a family. I reach up and put my arms around his neck. I lean and give him a 87-91 special kiss. He raises an eyebrow at me in question as we part.

‘You okay?’ His amber eyes show their concern.

‘Oh yeah, but I’ve got a serious case of ….’ I lean in close to him and whisper. ‘ Gooey panties.’

This causes him to throw back his head and roar with laughter. My team mates all look at him. I see drool in their eyes and I don’t care.