‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Scherbatsky

CS 8 Scherbatsky

You know when you can tell something is just not right in the universe. There’s a feeling passes over you that makes you stop and shiver. Tonight, during the busy rush of shoppers and the supper breaks at the farm store, I was covering the cash when I got that cold ominous feeling. I didn’t have time to stop as the lineups were just getting deeper. I smiled through the feeling greeting customers with their purchases and checking them out of the store. Melissa was supposed to be closing tonight but her 3 year old has come down with the chicken pox so I sent her home early. I know sick kids need their mom. So by the time the rush ended, Matt and I moved all the outdoor bins into the locked breezeway area and I cashed out, it was close to 930pm. The farm store isn’t huge but everything takes time.

I checked my phone for messages but the only one I have is from my friend Nadine asking about going to dinner and the latest chick flick next Tuesday evening. No news is good news I guess. Piet has the house lights on to welcome me home. I hope he has the kettle on for tea as well.

‘Hi I’m home.’ I call from the back mudroom as I come through to the kitchen. I set the couple of bags that I’m carrying on to the counter beside the refrigerator. I check the house phone for messages. None. I hear l snoring coming from Piet’s office in the front of the house. I wonder who it is? Piet or Buster his old black lab. Probably both of them. Buster normally barks when he hears vehicles in the yard. The old dog’s hearing must be going as I drove in and came in the back of the house without rousing him.

‘Hey, there you are.’ Piet comes through to the kitchen and gives me a hug. ‘ Long day?’

‘Yeah, I’m glad it’s over. Is the tea hot?’ I ask.

‘Yup. I made it just a few minutes ago.’ He gets a couple of mugs out of the cupboard while I put away the few things that I have brought home. ‘Anything new or exciting happen at the store today?’

‘Melissa’s son came down with the chicken pox but you know that.’ I think for a minute. Today has been so long it feels like two days have been rolled into one. ‘Trina Crosby called not long after I got to the store this morning.’

‘Really?’

‘Yeah, she was interested in details about the wedding. I gather Tylyn has been busy doing her own thing and has forgotten to keep Trina up to speed with the plans so far. I also suspect Sid is too busy with hockey to really focus on wedding plans.’ I pour the two mugs of tea and warm up a couple of leftover muffins I brought home from the store. ‘She seems like a nice person.’

‘She was in Pittsburgh?’ Piet asks.

‘I don’t think so as she mentioned something about having to drive into Dartmouth to visit an aunt or someone. Why?’

‘Sid took a puck to the face tonight. I thought that his parents might be there watching the game.’

‘Sid took a puck to the face.’ My stomach drops and I get that cold shivery feeling again. ‘Is he okay?’

‘They’re really not saying. He didn’t come back from the game. The replay showed a couple of his teeth flying out of his mouth. From the sounds of it, it can’t be good. Gerry was pretty mad tonight. It took me ages to get him calmed down.’ Piet says.’ Gere took it pretty bad when Tylyn hung up on him and wouldn’t answer her phone.’

‘WHAT!?! Tylyn’s not answering her phone.’ I’m shocked. ‘She’s got to be pretty upset to watch that on TV. Someone you love get hurt.’

‘It was pretty gruesome. Tons of blood.’ Even Piet looks a bit gray.

‘You’ve talked to her?’

‘No, she is still not answering. I did text her but nothing yet. I suspect that her phone is dead or she’s inadvertently turned off the ringer.’ How can he just sit there calmly eating his muffin? Sid’s been wounded and Tylyn’s not answering? ‘She’ll check in eventually.’

‘Sid’s hurt and Tylyn’s not answering and you think that everything is fine?’ I’m flabbergasted. ‘Tylyn’s a drama girl. I bet she’s in full panic mode.’

‘Really?’ How can one man be so smart yet so naïve?

‘Yes, really. Have you talked to any of the boys?’ That’s a no I suspect. I glance at the clock. 947pm. Crap. I pick up my phone and text both Tylyn and Sid. How goes? I phone the house in Kits’ landline. No answer. I text Jory, and Caleb. Then the house phone rings. ‘I’ll get that.’

‘Hello?’ I say into the phone. Buster has now woken up and is barking his head off at the sound of the phone.

‘Hi Mama. What’s up?’ Jory our third son sounds groggy.

‘Hi Jory love, is Tylyn at the house?’

‘I don’t know I guess where else would she be?’ He asks

‘Did you know Sid got hurt tonight? He took a puck to the face. Tylyn’s not answering her phone. Actually hasn’t been for hours now. Can you go check on her?’ I’m finding it hard not to scream into the phone.

‘Sure. Give me a second.’ I can hear him set down the phone. It seems like hours before he comes back.

‘Hey Mama, she’s not here. As far as I can tell her suitcase isn't in the closet, Hairy doesn’t seem to be around and there are no notes on the fridge.’ Jory states matter a factly. ‘ I didn’t get any messages from her today. Caleb and Noah are out somewhere maybe she’s with them?’

‘Not likely. What about Ewan?’ I ask as I text Caleb. I’d text Noah but I don’t know his number.

‘I think he’s on a road trip with his team.’ Jory pauses. ‘I keep checking around and keep you posted.’

We say our tot ziens. I look at Piet. I am worried. It’s not like Tylyn not to keep in touch. Ever since Sid gave her the iPhone she is on it constantly. I just can’t understand why she’s not answering.

‘Do you have the Crosby’s number? Maybe they’ve heard from Sid. Maybe he knows what’s happened?’ Piet offers.

‘Sid gave me a house number in Nova Scotia at Christmas. What’s the time difference?’ I ask.

‘It’s probably going on 2am out there. Maybe we should wait until morning, Rosie? Tylyn’ll turn up. She’s probably out with Caleb or Noah? It will be fine, you’ll see.’

‘Tylyn’s not out with either of the boys. She was watching that game tonight. I’ll bet you a loonie she is in full panic mode.’ I dig through the stack of papers by the phone looking for the one I wrote the Crosby phone number on. ‘I call Tylyn my chicken for a reason Piet because when it comes to stress she panics. She flaps her wings, runs the other way clucking at the top of her lungs.’

At last I find the paper. I punch the number into the phone and listen as it rings about 20 times. They are not home. Why do I not find that surprising?

…..

‘He’s going in for surgery tonight. Evidently, they have had to wait so any food in his stomach has passed.’ I run my hands through my hair for the umpteenth time tonight.

‘Troy, how will they fix his jaw?’ Trina voice is shaking. ‘Have the doctors said?’

‘Yeah, with a couple of titanium plates. They will screw them in permanently.’ I think about the X ray I was shown with missing teeth and my son’s jaw broken in two places. ‘The doc says that Sid won’t be able to eat solids for a couple of weeks. Tomorrow they’ll deal with his teeth.’

‘He must be in a ton of pain. How’s he doing? Can I talk to him?’

‘Yeah, the pain looks bad. They’ve finally got him on a IV drip for antibiotics and pain meds.’ I don’t know how to say this.’ Trina he can’t talk. When the puck hit his jaw, the force ripped part of his tongue off it’s mooring from the floor of his mouth. He’s pretty upset. They’re stitching it back on but he’s been told no talking for a day or two.’

‘Ask him if he’ll just listen to me. Troy please?’

‘Sure, when he’s back out. Have you heard from Tylyn? He keeps asking for her. We forgot his phone at CEC. I think that Mario is having it brought over to him.’

‘No. I thought you said he couldn’t talk?’

‘Sid keeps holding out his fingers. Nine fingers then one finger. He keeps repeating the pattern. Taylor’s tried texting her but she’s not answering. Can you try calling her and giving her my cell number? I think he just wants to hear her voice.’ My heart breaks as I watched my son ask for his fiancé. He’s desperate for her. ‘Taylor and I will keep trying.’

‘Yes. Troy, I take a plane out first thing in the morning and until then I’ll try Tylyn’s phone. Do you think I should call her parents? I did talk to her Mom this morning.’

‘Not yet. She’s probably out at a practice or something. She probably doesn’t even know yet.’ I scramble to find reasons why we can’t get a hold of my soon to be daughter in law.

‘Call me if Sid’s up to some Mom love. I try to find Tylyn. Talk to you soon. Give Taylor my love. Love you.’

‘Love to you too, Trina. I’ll keep in touch tonight.’

……

My neck has a crick in it from being tipped to one side most of the night leaning against Dad. Dad’s finally dozed off and is quietly snoring. We are sitting in a waiting room at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh waiting for my brother to be wheeled out of the recovery room. The surgeons talked to Dad and me more than an hour. Sid’s surgery went well. The breaks were clean and should heal well as long as he doesn’t get an infection in the tooth sockets where he has lost his teeth. I think that they said he’s lost 6 or 7 teeth and has several more broken ones that will be repaired tomorrow. It’s been a long night. Dad offered to take me back to Sid’s place but I couldn’t leave. Mario and Nathalie were here until Sid went in for surgery several hours ago. Nathalie wanted me to come home with them but… I couldn’t leave.

I look up at the clock. It’s 7am Friday morning. I slip out from underneath his arm, stand up and stretch. God am I stiff. I check my phone still nothing from Tylyn. I am disgusted. If he were my fiancé who was hurt, I’d answer the thousands of texts and voice messages left for me. Everyone here seems to think that Tylyn was watching the game last night. Ray Shero said that normal they text through all the games and if Tylyn has commitments then she tells him. So why the hell hasn’t she checked in? Doesn’t she care at all??? No message for Ray either. Mom says she’s going to phone the Hylkema family is the morning. Why bother? Maybe this will show Sid that she’s not really the girl for him. But if I ever get a chance to talk to her, Tylyn almost will get a piece of my mind. She’ll get a rant worthy of Rick Mercer.

Along the hallway, I see a couple of people pushing a hospital bed. I walk a step closer. It’s Sid. He’s lifts his hand to acknowledge me. I wave back.

‘Dad, wake up. They’re wheeling Sid to his room. Dad.’ I brush his shoulder to help him wake up. Dad shakes he head and opens his eyes.

‘Thanks, I’m awake.’ Dad says as he stands up. ‘Hey, son. You okay?’

The orderly pushing the bed has stopped at the nursing station to drop off paperwork. Dad and I walk over to Sid. He looks up at us. His jaw is swollen and a bit bruised but I’m amazed that there is no incisions or bandages. Sid has his mouth open a bit and is having to breathe through it. His tongue looks swollen and really red. His lips are bruised and I can see into his mouth that he’s missing a bunch of teeth on the lower right side of his face. He tries to smile.

‘Don’t talk, Sid. We’ll get you a pen and paper if you want to say anything.’ Dad tells him but Sid waves him off. He just lifts his hands and does the nine finger then one finger motion. ‘We’re still looking for her. Your Mom is going to call her family this morning. Maybe she doesn’t know yet. We’ll keep trying.’

Sid gestures like he is trying to dial a phone and then points to himself.

‘Your phone? Mario had the equipment guys check your stall like you asked but it wasn’t there. They’ve asked around but nobody has seen it. Are you sure you had it?’ Dad asks.

Sid gives him a Duh look.

‘I’m sure it will turn up as well.’

‘We can move you into your room, Mr Crosby. I’m sure you’ll be needing to rest.’ A nurse is waiting for us. We step aside for her to wheel his bed to the private room waiting for him when she gets there she starts up again. ‘I hear you’ll be with us for three or four days for antibiotic therapy and some more dental procedures. Can you give a list of possible visitors? Your privacy will be respected while you are here.’

Sid nods. So she hands in a clipboard and he writes out a few names. I look over to see whom he is adding on the list. Yep, her name is on the top. So are we family members, a few players, Dan, Mike, and the Lemieux family.

‘You can have a few minutes with him, but Mr Crosby has been through a lot tonight and really needs to get some rest.’ The nurse gives Dad and I a long look. ‘You two look a little worse for wear too. Sleep might help you as well.’

Sid gestures at me to come forward. I reach the bed he holds up his hand, takes mine and squeezes it. Sid is wounded and he consoling me. I start to cry again. I didn’t think I had any more tears in me. Dad from the other side of the bed brushes Sid’s hair out of his face ever so gently.

‘The nurse is right. Come on, Taylor it’s been a long night.’ Dad says to me. ‘Your mom will be here in a couple of hours so we had better get some sleep and clean up. We’ll see you later, son.’

I’m thinking about Sid and Tylyn as we walk down the hallways of the hospital. He looked so pathetic making the nine and one gestures with his hands. How could she just ignore him? It’s just unreal to me. What a stuck up, witch. That’s not how you treat people you love. We make it through the elevators and hallways and are nearing the main doors when we pass the reception desk when something catches my eye. My head is tired. I hesitate for a moment and really look at it. It’s a CROSBY bag. Some crazy girl at the desk has my bag. I storm over to the desk in a rage. The clerk at the desk is talking to her.

‘You’re trying to tell me that Sidney Crosby, superstar hockey player, and millionaire gave you that cheap little ring as an engagement ring. ’ The clerk at the desk is telling the bedraggled girl. ‘And why would he do that?’

That’s when I really look at the girl. I really look hard at her.

‘Because he loves her. He really does love her.’ I tell the clerk as I look down at Tylyn. My anger dissolves. She looks a wreck. Her hair looks like it hasn’t been brushed in days, her eyes are all puffy and red from crying and her clothes are all rumbled and wrinkled. She’s pale as a ghost and shaking. I hug her and we both start crying again.

…..

I stare at the big hospital door. I’ve been frantic since I saw 87 drop to the ice with blood pouring out of his face but now. I am terrified to see what lies behind the door. It has taken me three airplane rides to get here and now I can’t seem to walk through the doorway.

‘He’s going to be okay, Tylyn.’ Troy whispers and his voice envelopes me like his coat does wrapped around me. He speaks up a bit. ‘Sid, you’ve got a visitor.’

Taylor for all that she doesn’t seem to like me has been so kind. Her hug in the lobby started me crying again. I wouldn’t have ever believed that she would have hugged me.

‘It’s okay.’ Taylor nods towards the door.

I drag my feet. The entry has a short hall with a full bathroom to one side. Straight a head the wall has windows looking over downtown Pittsburgh. I can see the end of the bed. 87’s feet form a bump under the blanket. Troy is just a head of me. I peek around the corner to get a full view of the room. It only has one bed in it. 87 is looking at me. He doesn’t seem to look much different. I’ve been imagining all sorts of images in my head. 87 is so handsome. What if he looked different now? But he doesn’t.

A terrible moan escapes him and in that moment I just don’t care anymore. I kick off my shoes and crawl right over the bed rail and into his arms. He moans and gasps. He’s sobbing. 87’s arms hold me tight to him. I want to kiss him and make it all better but he’s holding me so tight I can hardily breath. We lay like that for ages until we fall asleep.

…..

I don’t remember Dad and Taylor leaving. I don’t remember 91 getting under the covers or removing her coat. I don’t remember much but that’s probably the drugs. I do remember 91 reassuring me that everything is going to be okay. I know that now that she is here. My face hurts, my mouth hurts, my tongue is so swollen it doesn’t fit in my mouth and I have some teeth that hurt whenever I breathe. But I can deal with the pain. 91 is here. She must have left right after she saw I got hurt. I breathe in deeply to smell her shampoo but can’t smell much other than the antiseptics of the hospital. I open my eyes. The blinds are drawn so it’s hard to tell what time it is. I vaguely remember being wheeled into this room. I focus my eyes on the far corner. Mario is sitting in a chair playing with his phone. He’s looking a bit rough. On the table tray in front of me is my phone. I close my eyes. Time passes.

I fade in and out listening and weaving the voices into my dreams. I want to kiss 91 but my face hurts so much. I’ll think of something. I hug her tight to me. She rubs my chest with her nose and strokes my arm. She kisses my hand that she is holding. I wonder what this all means. What if 91 doesn’t want to get married in a couple of weeks? The doc said something about waiting to do the tooth implants in the offseason. I don’t care about my teeth. But I want 91. I just want her here with me. Maybe we’ll have to wait until I get teeth to get married. I drift back out.

I can hear 91 softly talking. She’s saying that she called David. David took her to the airport. David has Hairy at his place. 91 says something about bringing the wrong charging cord and that she is sorry. She told Braden. Who the hell is Braden? Her voice shakes a bit when she says 87 looks just the same. I do? I wonder who she’s talking to. None of it makes much sense. Tot ziens. I know tot ziens. It’s how she says goodbye to her family. I fade back out again.

…….
The nursing station is humming with activity. I have Josef my latest medical student dealing with concerns of the few patients I have admitted to the hospital. While wait I sit down at a computer terminal and log into the system. I check my email but nothing earth shattering. My short list of patients is displayed to the left of the screen. I click on each in turn and review their progress. Everything looks fine. I open Sidney’s case and start reading the nursing notes. He’s had two doses of the oxycontin and is very groggy. I write and order to reduce it down to half. No sign of infection. Good. Nothing by mouth yet as per my instruction, just a few saline rinses. Bp, heart rate and temperate are all good. Ins and outs are normal. These are all excellent signs. It’s been about 12 hours since he left surgery. I’ve arranged an OR for later tonight so I can finish working on his teeth. I want to check if the teeth we put back in on the lower jaw are actually going to survive. We were johnny on the spot being at the arena last night. I look up to search for his RN before I go in to visit him.

‘Dr Kapoor, I’d like a word with you when you have a moment.’

‘Yes, how may I help you?’ I put my reading glasses in my pocket. The nurse is leaning on the counter just behind the computer station. I’d guess her to be in her late 30’s, blondish and looking slightly annoyed.

‘It’s about your patient.’ She leans in and whispers ‘Crosby.’

‘What about Mr Crosby?’ I almost want to whisper back.

‘It’s all the people in his room. All day today it has been full of people basically watching him sleep. At one point today, I had to throw out about 6 people. Can you speak to his family, that he needs to rest. It’s like a three ring circus in there.’ She is annoyed. ‘And can you get that girl out of the bed. Really, I mean this is a hospital not a love nest.’

‘Hmmm, thank you for voicing your concern.’ I see Josef coming down the hall from the elevator. ‘Excuse me, I look into it. Josef?’

The young man who has been on my service for just a couple of weeks looks tired. We had a full day yesterday and then as treat I took him to the hockey game last night. I’m required to attend games just in case someone gets hurt. It rarely happens but as Pens fan I’m going to be there anyway. As soon as Sidney fell to the ice, I knew we were in for a long night. I know I got a few hours nap between last night’s surgery and this morning clinic. Josef on the other hand looks like he did not sleep at all.

‘So is less than 24 hour post op what would you expect of Mr Crosby?’ I ask him as we walk down to his room. Josef gives me the textbook version. I push open the room and look in. I see Sidney’s father and sister whom we met last night. Mr Lemieux is sitting in the corner with a petite middle aged lady. She smiles at us. This must be Mother Crosby. Sidney has her eyes I think, lovely and golden in colour. It is an average sized private hospital room but with all these people and us two it is rather a tight fit. I look to my patient and there beside snuggled in bed is a pretty little brunette. Pairs of golden and cerulean blue eyes watch me expectantly. Sidney for his part looks relaxed, rested, and for the want of a better word happy. This is a far cry from the frantic young man of last night. Sidney was in pain, and desperately gesturing with his hands. What more could a doctor ask for?

“I am Dr Kupoor and this is Dr Lizcryk.’ I look expectantly at Sidney.

Instead of picking up the pen and paper on the table tray beside him, Sidney gestures with his hands. First nine fingers and then one finger. Then he points to the girl tucked next to him. I smile in recognition this is nine one. Last night he kept making this same gesture over and over again. For her part she watches and respects that he is “talking’ until Sidney is finished by putting his hands around her.

‘I’m Tylyn’

Sidney lifts her hand and points to her left ring finger and taps the simple red stoned ring on her finger. A fiancé.

‘It’s a pleasure to meet you Tylyn. A wedding is in the future?’ I gamble.

Sidney lifts his hands and looks intently at me. He holds out six fingers pauses and then moves his right hand over and then holds out just four fingers.

‘The 6th of April? Oh a spring wedding what a lovely time of year. A new beginning as it were.’ I answer and for my part I am rewarded with a smile. It looks more like a grimace at this point but in a few days it will be back to normal short a few teeth. And then he holds his right hand flat out and drops it from side to side. Maybe.

‘You don’t want to get married in April? ‘Tylyn who has be nestled on his right side half turns away from us at the foot of the bed and looks at Sidney. ‘You want to wait until your teeth are fixed?’

Sidney shakes his head no. I’m impressed that’s got to have hurt. But he continues with his hands. He smiles and shows her his lack of teeth, then mimics taking a photo then points to her and shakes his head again. I’m now confused a bit.

‘I don’t mind if the photos show your missing teeth. They will show who we are on that day. You are still you. But if you want to wait I understand. We can change the da….’ Tylyn is cut off by Sidney’s index finger. He places it on her lips. He wraps his arms around her and gently kisses her. Now I know that has got to hurt as his lips are swollen. He looks at her intently and gestures 6 fingers then 4 fingers.

‘You’re absolutely sure, Sid? Everyone will completely understand.’ It’s the presumed Mother Crosby who has actually answered. But he holds up a hand to indicate stop. Sidney points to Tylyn and makes an okay sign then points to himself and makes an okay sign. If she’s okay then I’m okay.

‘Tylyn, you are absolutely sure?’ the question is posed again. All eyes turn back to the bed. Tylyn has sat back a bit from Sidney in the bed. She sighs and thinks for a moment.

‘Robin Scherbatsky said it best.’ She stops to push a lock of hair out of her face.

‘Who’s that?’

‘Robin Scherbatsky is a character from the TV show How I Met Your Mother. She’s played by Colbie Smulders a Vancouver actress who loves the Canucks. ‘Tylyn rolls her eyes. ‘Any way, Robin is telling some one about what interests her in a guy and she says. “I’ve been raised in a hockey culture so if he plays hockey that’s good. If he throws down his gloves and steps up then that’s kinda hot. But if he’s missing teeth then Robin’s missing her panties.”

This brings a roar of laughter from around the room. Tylyn for her part is blushing but the rest of us are laughing. Sidney is holding on to his face he is laughing so hard.

‘Well, said young lady. Now lets see if we can get this broken jaw healed so he can eat wedding cake by the 6th of April.’ I take a pen light out of my pocket. ‘Folks if you could wait in the hallway, Josef and I have a lot of work to do.’
……

TayMae: I am in.

Chkaddd: That’s so great I’m so happy. Thank you.

Taymae: No thank you.

……

‘Josef what have you learned today?’ At the end of each day I like to sit for a few minutes with my students to review main points that we’ve covered.

‘Always use a curved scalpel when resecting a tight area. Titanium plates come in various sizes and can be molded to fit on to the bones …’ Josef has an iPad mini he’s reading from.

‘No, Josef more basic than that.’ I wait while he thinks.

‘I don’t know, Dr Kapoor? I don’t know the answer you’re looking for.’

‘Think about Sidney Crosby. He took a frozen piece of rubber flying at about 100km/hr to his jaw. He has a broken jaw in two places, he’s lost 6 or 7 teeth, and he has cracked and sheared off another 4 teeth. He is in a lot of pain. Did he look like he was suffering?’ I fold my reading glasses and place them in my jacket pocket.

‘No. No he didn’t really. But that was the Oxycontin working.’

‘No Josef, that was endorphins working. Remember his nurse wanted me to get rid of his visitors. She wanted his fiancé out of his bed. I wrote an order today for lots of cuddles for Sidney from his Nine One and all the visitors day and night that he can tolerate because love, humour and laughter produce endorphins. And those endorphins are nature's painkillers. Love, young Josef, is really the best medicine of all. It cures almost everything.’