Status: Not Active

Live and Let Live

Oh, Calamity

Damon hasn’t made an appearance since Saturday. It was Monday now and Alex and I were in English working together on an assignment.
“He hasn’t shown up?” Alex asked. I shook my head.
“Not since Saturday. I can’t get this fear that he’ll come back though.” I frowned. After Alex left on Saturday I locked all my doors and windows shut. I didn’t bother using my phone just in case someone tipped Damon to where I was.
“He didn’t seem to follow us.”
“He knows where I live though; we’ve sent packages to each other.” I sighed. Even though he has my address, he still hasn’t come around.
“Well, how bout I walk home with you today? We can hang out at your house and I’ll make sure he isn’t stalking you.” I let out a soft laugh. Alex somehow knew what to say to make me feel a little bit better.
“Alright but only if you order us a large pizza, Asskarth.” I smiled, using the nickname I came up with.
“Deal, Abbifail.” He smiled, thinking he was clever. I guess we were pretty lame at coming up with bad nicknames. After enduring three more tortuous classes, lunch was finally here. I practically ran to the cafeteria, not even bothering to put my shit down before getting food. After I had my tray of food I went to my now regular seat at Alex’s table. I sat right between him and Jack, across from Kara who sat next to Rian.
“Hungry?” Jack chuckled as I started devouring my food. I just nodded and kept eating. I didn’t stop until I finished every bite. When I looked up from eating, everyone was staring at me.
“What? I was starving; I forgot to eat breakfast.” I shrugged. Alex and Kara laughed while Rian shook his head and Jack was busy on his phone.
“So how was seeing the city over the weekend?” Kara asked. I’m guessing Alex must have told Rian he took me out to see Baltimore so Rian told her.
“Uhm, it was nice. We didn’t have a big mall like you guys do back where I used to live so it was pretty sweet.” I smiled. “Alex showed me an awesome music store.” I could feel Alex smile when I said his name and it made me smile even more.
“This girl loves music; you should have seen her face when we walked in.” Alex grinned widely. “She picked out a Blink vinyl and let me tell you: was I proud of our little Abby.” He slugged an arm around my shoulders and I laughed as I pushed it off.
“This one insisted on buying it, even though it was a ridiculous fifty bucks that I could have paid for myself.” I shook my head.
“Hey! I told you; it was my ‘welcome to Maryland’ gift.” The table gave some small laughs and returned to eating. I took out my phone, wanting to check my messages and saw that I had a message from- shit. Damon. I must have had a terrified look on my face because Alex touched my arm lightly.
“You okay, Abs?” He frowned. I shook my head slowly and handed him my phone.
From: Damon
I’m still here in Maryland, Abby. I’ll be at the park that’s a couple miles from your house tonight at 10 sharp. If you don’t show up, I will go to your house and it will not be pretty.

“What the hell?” Alex growled.
“What is it, dude?” Jack asked, finally looking up from his own phone.
“It’s my ex…he texted me..he’s threatening me.” I said, voice shaky and on the verge of tears.
“He’s a fucking psycho, Abby.” Alex put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. I rested my head on his shoulder, trying my best to hold back my tears. “I’m going with you tonight. You are not going alone to meet up with this weirdo.”
“I’m going to.” Jack said firmly. I couldn’t help but give a little smile.
“T-thank you, guys. But I think I have to go alone..”
“We’re going with you. If you want, we can stray a little behind or we can show up early and hide so he won’t see us. Either way, if he lays a single finger on you we’ll take care of him.” Alex said, his mind as well as made up.
“Okay.”
--
It was almost ten in the evening, the time Damon would be arriving. I was sitting on a bench near the big oak tree where Jack and Alex were hiding. I was shaking, and not because it was a bit chilly. I saw a figure approaching me, no doubt in my mind it was him.
“Hey, Abby,” He sat next to me and put his arm around me. I scooted closer to the end of the bench, trying to get away from him.
“Personal space please.” I said. He gave a harsh laugh as he looked at me. His emerald green eyes shone in the street light above us, making them glisten like real gems. His wood brown hair was styled perfectly atop his head, and he was smiling like a mugger who had just stolen a hundred bucks successfully.
“Oh, Abby, before you had no problem being close to me.” He moved closer and I stood up walking a few steps from the bench. I didn’t get far though, because as soon as I started walking away he grabbed my wrist violently and pulled me back. I heard rustling behind us, no doubt it was Jack or Alex getting ready to strike.
“Let go of me.” I demanded.
“Not until you say you love me, Abby.”
“Why the hell would I say that?! You’re the one that broke up with me, the one who broke MY heart. I never did anything wrong. I did love you, but honestly you decided to be a complete assho-“ I was cut off by a slap to the face.
“Don’t you fahking dare call me that, Abby.” He said, his southern accent coming on strong.
“You’re a fucking ass, Damon!” I regretted the words once they were out of my mouth because the next minute I was on the ground.
“I told you, Abby, not to call me that.”
“Why? Because it’s true?!” I yelled, sitting up on my left elbow. “The Damon I know would never have hit a girl, let alone me! I fail to see how you’re not some fucking asshole who deserves to be thrown into a dumps- ow!” Damon kicked me in the ribs, making me fall back to the ground and holding myself. I heard a crack and when I opened my eyes from wincing at the pain, I saw Damon on the ground next to me. I looked up and saw Alex with blood on his right hand. Damon’s blood. Jack picked me up and carried me to the oak tree, propping me up against it. Alex ran over to us just as quickly as Jack had set me down.
“Abby, are you okay?” He asked frantically. I was still holding my side, but I nodded meekly.
“Alex, watch out!” I screamed as Damon came running up behind him, arm pulled back. Alex turned around just in time to get punched right in the face. It wasn’t his nose, but he would have a nasty black eye in the morning. Just as soon as he fell he was right back on his feet.
“Jack, get Abby out of here!” He yelled while throwing multiple punches and dodging punches. Jack picked me up bridal style and ran towards my house. When we got inside, my mother rushed to our sides.
“What the hell happened?” My mother asked, directed toward me but Jack answered.
“Her ex, Damon, happened Ms. Rey.”
“What did he do?”
“He slapped her, threw her to the ground and kicked her in the ribs. Alex is back at the park, fighting him. I think Alex may have broken his nose, but it doesn’t matter. We went with Abby to protect her.” He looked down at me. “Though, we didn’t come in fast enough..I’m sorry Abby.” I smiled a bit.
“Idiot, you saved me from possibly getting killed. A kick in the ribs isn’t going to keep me down. Thank you for protecting me, Jacky.”
“I’m lost, someone tell me WHY Damon did this? How did he even get here? Why is he here?” My mom was growing furious, and she asked questions when she was. It was rare, but scary actually.
“He texted me, momma, saying to meet him at the park at ten…or else he’d come here to our house. I couldn’t risk it momma. Jack and Alex came with me to make sure I was safe, and aside from getting slapped and kicked I’m fine. I have no idea why he’s acting like this. He’s never been like this.” I frowned.
“Abigail, we are taking you to the hospital. If you have a broken rib, we can’t let that go untreated. I’ll go get my ke-“ She stopped short as Alex walked through the front door, bloody and bruised. Jack nearly dropped me from the sight.
“He’s gone..” Alex started. “The police ended up coming and he ran. I had to be questioned but once I told them the story they let me go.” I jumped out of Jack’s hold, wincing when my feet hit the tile floor. I walked over to Alex and put his arm over me to help him from falling over. He had blood coming out of his nose, cuts on his face and a busted lip. His jeans had a few scrapes in them.
“Momma, get your keys. We really do need to go to the hospital.”
--
A couple hours later, I was lying on a hospital bed, my torso wrapped up because Damon had broken a couple ribs. Alex was in the chair next to it, with a patch over his eye and bandages all over. Jack was leaning on something across from the bed and my mother was at the front desk downstairs working out the payment for our visit.
“We shouldn’t have left you alone.” I said.
“You needed to get out of there, it wasn’t safe for you.” Alex argued.
“Yeah, but still, you’re more beat up then I am! All I have is a couple broken ribs.”
“You’re safe. That’s all that matters Abby.” Jack chimed in. “Man, you guys are going to have a lot of explaining to do tomorrow at school.”
“We have tomorrow excused. Doctor says.” Alex smiled. “Make sure you tell everyone how badass I was and how Damon was a pussy for running.” I laughed softly.
“Will do; should I add dinosaurs to the story?” Alex and I laughed together this time and shook our heads.
“Well the doctor says you’re free to go, honey.” My mom appeared in the doorway. “Unfortunately, I have to work the night shift at work tonight. I don’t want to leave you alone but..” She trailed off.
“I can have her stay at my place, Ms. Rey.” Alex spoke up.
“I don’t...actually that’s a great idea, Alex. If your parents are okay with it then it would be a big help.” My mom walked over to me and gave me a kiss on the forehead. “Come on, let’s get going.” My mother drove us to Alex’s and Jack walked home from there needed to get back before his mom started worrying. Alex explained to his parents what happened, and their faces weren’t pretty at the news but let me stay nonetheless. We walked up to his bedroom and I sat on the end of his bed while he shut the door and pulled out a shirt for me to wear to sleep. I didn’t really care about changing in front of him at the moment so I quickly changed shirts and pulled off my jeans. We got settled in under the covers and Alex turned off the lamp that was giving off enough light to see in his room. We stayed silent for a few minutes and just when I thought Alex fell asleep, he spoke.
“Are you alright, Abby?” He asked. “Mentally, I mean.” I laid my head on his chest and he wrapped his arm around me to pull me closer. Dating or not, having him here with me and him comforting me was needed immensely.
“I don’t know. What I do know is that I am completely over him. I knew that the first time this happened, but I didn’t want to admit it for some reason.” Alex started playing with random strands of my hair and I relaxed even more. We stayed silent again for another few minutes before he spoke again.
“I’m really glad you’re okay. I’m glad I was there.”
“Me too,” I smiled softly.
“I don’t know what I’d do if something worse had happened to you.” He kissed my forehead, which surprised me. Then before I could stop the question, it was out.
“Do you like me, Alex?” I asked. “I mean, like like me?” He was silent for a few seconds. One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi…
“Yeah, I do Abby.” My breath caught. Jack really was right. I found my face heating up and that’s when I really realized, I liked him. A lot more than I thought.
“Good,” I said. “Because I like you too.” And before I could hear his reply, sleep took me over and the world went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shit fuck damn
I had the first part typed and forgot to work on it. I'm so bad at keeping up with this. I'm so sorry. Extra long chapter for the wait. Hope you like it!