Slow Down, Give Us A Brake

Begining & End

Danny Albright was a very handsome, young man as he stood about 6’1’’, with golden brown curly locks midway past his ears. His forehead dipped down about an inch and a half before framing his stunning aqua-green eyes and his slender nose. His face was clear of blemishes, unlike other boys at his age of 17. He was physically fit, as well as, mentally fit. Danny would play on a football team during the fall, and in the spring he’d be on the baseball team. In his free time, he go to the indoor swim club where he spent some odd hours working as a lifeguard and pool-boy. With all the sports and working, some would think Danny was rather average in his school studies, but he proved them wrong. Danny had kept a 3.7 grade point average throughout the first three years of his high school life. Everything seemed perfect when Danny got his score back from the driving test where he had scored a ninety-eight. His future was looking as bright as the sun.

Danny had spent every summer since he turned 5 with his Uncle Ed down by the shore helping him at his surf shop. Throughout the years, working with his uncle, he studied the sport, never really trying it out, but learning the boards and the people who rode them. Out of the many things Danny learned in his life, the trade of surf boards was what he wanted to focus on. He didn’t tell his parents this yet, though, he still had one more year of high school, and then he would be off to collage for business trade so he would eventually inherit his father’s chain of “BRIGHT’S” Department stores. He could not tell his parents, for they would be crushed. What kind of son would that make him, hurting his parents in that way? They were paying his collage tuition and who bought him a brand new car. He was grateful so, in return he planned on doing what his father asked. He hoped one day instead he could have his uncles shop, the “Bright’s Surfin’ Days”.

It was a typical sunny day outside as the waves rolled in and out on the sandy shore, yet Danny sat content on the cashiers side of the counter inside the shop. It was a Thursday afternoon and not many had stopped by, seeing how most of the island’s occupants were along the water because of the hot day. Danny was in his swim trunks with a magazine in hand and a fan working its way in his direction cooling him off. There were only a few youngsters that had stopped by with their parents begging to learn to surf only to be dragged out saying they were too young. One or two regulars came in to pick up their repaired boards. Otherwise, the shop was still and silent. That was until the ring of his cell phone pierced the quiet store and the vibration made the phone inch its way across the counter.

He debated on answering it as in knowing his luck, either his uncle or a customer would walk in the second he said hello. Yet, his phone moved closer and closer to the edge and as it threatened to fall, he finally reached over and answered the call. “Hello” he called into the receiver. He was met by silence. After waiting a few seconds he asked again, “Hello?” this time a little louder.

“Oh, hey. Danny? This is Danny, right?” The voice was a familiar one, to be exact it was the same voice he looked forward to hearing ever single summer for the past eleven summers. Memories flooded his mind as he thought back on the summer he first met the owner of the voice. She was a pretty, young girl, yet everyday she became more beautiful in his eyes. The time spent together, of course, was one of the reasons he was in love with Kelly Turner, the voice on the other side of the line. “It’s Kelly. I know its already July, but I was on a cruise and couldn’t reach you. Wow, I can’t believe it’s been a year. You sound the same,” she laughed which made him smile, “How have you been?”

“ Oh me? I’m great,” he replied. Soon they were both filled in on each others school years with Danny’s up at Lipton High, and Kelly’s at Madame Courtney’s School For Girls which were about four hours apart. They would have kept in touch more, but Danny did not get his car till after the school year ended.

“Well Danny, I love talking to you but I need to go,” She sounded a little disappointed. “but, hey there’s going to be a party tomorrow night, and maybe, I was thinking that you would go with me?” He nodded forgetting he was on the phone so when she asked him again he spoke.

“Yes.”

Friday had been a long day for Danny, mostly because he couldn’t wait for that night. His uncle let him off early knowing how special the evening was for him. “Now Danny,” his uncle stated dangling the keys in front of him “I don’t know who is holding this party. I don’t know their parents and you haven’t given me any information about where you will be, but I am trusting you. No drinking, or drugs. Don’t try smoking or you’ll ruin your sports life and drive carefully. Obey..”

“Obey all traffic signs, follow the speed limits, stop at red lights, go on green and yellow means slow down, not speed up.” Danny had cut into the middle of his uncles speech using a mocking voice. Rolling his eyes as his uncle laughed, he continued. “God, you’re just like Dad. The same speech. I’m good, I promise or I will give up my car, Kay Ed? Can I head off now?” As his uncle patted him on the back, he shoved Danny into the drivers seat and shut the door. Danny drove off without a goodbye.

Pulling up to house where the party was being held, Kelly pointed to the third one on the left. Danny figured she was right since cars covered both the drive way and the lawn. Danny went about a block down and parked, giving them a little walk but they would be thankful when they wanted to leave that it was not held in between the house and four other cars. She forgot to mention there was a pool, but because of the high temperature he was wearing his swim trunks anyway. Compared to her orange and yellow bikini covered with only a short jean skirt, he was nothing special.

The party was like others he had been to except, he did not know many of the people, save Kelly and a few surfers he recognized from the shop. The music was loud, so loud that Danny could barely hear himself think but he enjoyed it that way. Grabbing Kelly by the hand he made his way through the crowd of people to the middle of the room as he held Kelly close and they danced. Soon someone turned off the regular white lights and lights of all different colors started flashing. Between the noise, the lights and the stuffy atmosphere of the room, Kelly became dizzy and lead Danny outside. The early night was still warm and so the two decided to take a dip in the pool. People were scattered throughout the house, in the halls, the bathroom, the kitchen and the backyard.

“I’ll beat you in” Kelly teased as she lightly shoved Danny onto the chair, kicked off her sandals, and slipped of her skirt as she dove into the pool. Danny followed after pulling his shirt over his head and dropping it where he stood. She had come up for air when he dove in and when he reached her, he grabbed her feet and pulled her under to him and did something daring. Danny held Kelly tight, as they rose out of the water placing a kiss on Kelly’s lips. She smiled. “What took you so long?” Danny must have had a shocked look on his face because Kelly laughed and threw water on him “ Poor Danny didn’t know? I’ve been waiting on that kiss for at least 6 summers.”

“I.. I… I didn’t know. Why didn’t you say anything?” he questioned.

“A girl does by her actions, not words. And I did, spending all my time with you. Wow. You really didn’t know.” Kelly laughed splashing him again. “That’s cute!”

Again Danny grabbed her hand which made her look straight into his eyes. “Kelly, you and you alone just made this one of the best nights of my life.” Danny said.

Soon it became to late to go home. Seeing how Danny was only 17 he had restrictions on his license and wasn’t allowed to drive past mid-night. Kelly called her parents and Danny let his uncle know. His uncle needed him at the shop by nine a.m. Around seven-thirty on Saturday morning, they both thanked their host for the party, the sleepover, and headed home. They were laughing and singing along with the radio. Kelly smiled a wide smile as though she thought of something. “What is it?” asked Danny looking sideways at her while still keeping both eyes on the road, and hands on the wheel.

Kelly turned to him and held out her hand. Danny took it in his. “Danny, God only knows why we didn’t tell each other. I’m glad it happened. I just wish we did it sooner because I’ve been waiting to tell you something.”

Danny could feel her hand tense and squeezed her hand. “Kelly, I want to tell you something first. I didn’t tell you because I always felt like your best friend and nothing more. At least it’s what I thought you felt towards me, but Kelly I love you. I’ve loved you since the day we met.”

Kelly’s eyes misted over as she tried not to cry. “I love you too.”

“Wow, not just the greatest night of my life, but today is looking amazing too. You really know how to make me happy don’t…..” Danny was cut off.

The phone rang. And rang. It continued to ring, until 20 minutes later, Ed walked into the house looking for Danny. It was eleven, and yet Danny still had not shown up to work. Automatically, Ed knew something was wrong, closed the shop and headed home. The phone rang once more, as Ed grabbed it just in time before the caller hung up. “Danny?” He breathed into the phone.

“Mr. Albright?” An unfamiliar voice answered.

“Yes?” Ed calmed his breathing.

“I am Officer Mitchell. I understand you are the guardian of a young, mister Danny Albright. Is this true?” He waited.

“Yes, and I’ve been looking all over for his hide. May I asked what he’s done. Danny’s a very good boy and has never gotten in trouble with the law.”

“Mr. Albright, Danny has not done anything wrong. The only crime he committed was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Now Ed was worried. Officer Mitchell did not sound too happy and Ed did not like the officer’s last comment. “What do you mean officer?” Ed paused only for a few seconds not giving the man a chance to reply. “Where’s Danny?”

“I am sorry to inform you, that your nephew was in a car accident. While driving home from a party, a careless driver ran a red light without using their brakes and hit Danny’s car. Both Danny and the young Kelly Turner passed away at the scene.”