Pareidolia -- The Story of the Mad Hatter

Click to Read

Pareidolia - The Story of the Mad Hatter

It happened upon a sunny day, one perfect as always betwixt the trees of the Neverending Wood in the Land of Wonder. One could see a man in a clearing of this wood, seated at the head of a large table, the sole occupant. Though lighthearted conversation pursued as if there where two more guests.

This man, he bore tousled red hair, a deep violet top hat on his head. His coat matched, as well as design on his black slacks. Those in Wonderland whom knew him had labeled him "The Mad Hatter", but he had a name and it was Lokere Schraube. He was a man who appeared to be in the mid twenties, but was much much older than time could tell. He couldn't even tell, he had long ago lost track.

"Hare, Tell me, how is a Raven like a Writing Desk?" The man inquired to some being that was not entirely there. This guest, The March Hare, was a figment of his perplexing imaginations and thus only in his head. Tell him this and it would not be believed. He was silent a moment before orgetting the question at hand and looking to the other side of the table. "Dormouse, sing us a jaunty tune!" another figment of his mind.

A girl chanced by at that moment. Flaxen blond locks, wearing a dress of a sky blue under an apron of the purest white. For the time being his invisible friends were forgotten as he gazed upon her. A lazy Cheshire watched as this man climbed onto his table, his eyes locked on void space. What did he see that his feline eye could not?

"What is your name?" the Hatter posed a question to the invisible girl.
Alice, such a name so peculiar only his demented mind could have thought it. Alice, it rolled off the tongue quite nicely. "Alice..." the Hatter would repeat as he climbed back to his seat, his knees dirtied with crushed pastry. "Join us for Tea?"

This imaginary girl sat, near the Hatter's left hand. He gazed upon her softly as she gave him peculiar side glances. "Alice...such an interesting name." She was inaudible for she was not truly there, her blue eyes looking into his and declaring it was normal in some imaginary place she hailed from. "Tell me, my dear. Do you know how a Raven resembles a Writing Desk?" The answer was thought upon by his imaginary companion, the Dormouse trying to speak up and being shushed. She did not know, the answer being given as she shook her head.

"Can you sing a song?" He asked this nonexisting girl. Another no. "Can you bake? Tell riddles? Dance?" She answered no to all of this, the Hatter growing rather sickened of such an unnatractive being this girl was becoming. "Do you have any talent?" He asked through gritted teeth, the invisible girl shook her head.

The Hatter stood, slipping hands under his table and with one mighty burst of strength flipped the entire thing making a large unappealing mess of colorful pastry and tea upon the forest floor. "BE GONE ALL OF YOU!" The Hatter shouted in rage, throwing the few unbroken pieces of tea cup at these invisible companions. "I DON'T NEED ANY OF YOU!" He added, the make believe companions fading into the woods. The Hatter, he sat on the forest floor amongst the crushed pastries. The Cheshire was the only companion as the man shakily picked up a silver pot with traces of tea and drank it down.

Later that afternoon, as the Cheshire faded and a Knight chanced through the wood, the Hatter's blood had mixed with the crushed pastry. See, after drinking the tea, he had taken out rages on the Cheshire, who had clawed him quite deep. The poor cat had managed to limp home, but the man's wounds had bled him out. And his hat had fallen from his head. However the sole piece of meaningful evidence found was a note crumpled in the man's hand on an unused sugar packet. It read:

"I am Sorry. I never meant to harm anyone...."